Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Roothaan - 7.23.2006
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostTue Jul 25, 2006 1:02 pm 
With temps at 100 degrees I figured why not go hiking. Robin and I left the cabin on Priest Lake’s west side, and arrived at the Mount Roothaan trailhead about an hour later. The last half mile to the trailhead is absolutely brutal, four wheel drive and high clearance are a must. The trailhead, elevation 6,091’ begins at the site of an old lookout at the bottom of Horton Ridge. It was already hot at 10am as Robin and I made our way up the trail. We made sure to take our time on the way up Horton Ridge and drank lots of water along the way, which helped. Soon the trees began to thin out allowing great views to the south toward Gunsight Peak, Hunt Peak, Hunt Lake, and Sundance Mountain. With out the trees we lost our shade, and the trail steepened as we approached the saddle between Mount Roothan and point 7,179’. Robin and I were definitely feeling it when we reached the saddle, elevation 6,950’. This was for enough for Robin, and I couldn’t blame her, the views were excellent. After a short break, and a couple of sips from my warm Gatorade I made my dash for Roothaan. From the saddle I followed a boot path east which quickly gave way to talus. After traversing around to the south side the scramble for the summit went quickly. The view from the summit of Roothaan, elevation 7,326’, was priceless. To the west were the Priest Lake’s, and Salmo-Priest Wilderness Area. I can’t imagine a better view of the Selkirk Crest. To the north sits Lookout Mountain and the Lions Head. To the northeast lies Chimney Rock, the seven sisters, including Silver Dollar, the Twin Peaks, Roman Nose, and Harrison Peak. Over my shoulder in the far south I could even see Lake Pend Oreille. I could have sat there all day if it wasn’t for the black flies. After a few quick pictures I made my way back down to the saddle were I met a couple of climbers heading for Chimney Rock. After a quick lesson on the Selkirk Crest from one climber I made way west to bag point 7,179’. The trip back to the truck was hot, and the air conditioning was a welcomed relief. 5 miles round trip with about 1,500’ feet of elevation gained. I wouldn’t recommend this hike for anyone, the views in the Cascade’s are far better, and Priest Lake is actually a giant cesspool. winksmile.gif
Tanner takes in the views.
Tanner takes in the views.
Chimney Rock and Seven Sisters in the background from the summit of Mount Roothaan.
Chimney Rock and Seven Sisters in the background from the summit of Mount Roothaan.
Point 7179' and Priest Lake from the summit of Mount Roothaan.
Point 7179' and Priest Lake from the summit of Mount Roothaan.
Ridge connecting Mount Roothaan to Gunsight Peak.
Ridge connecting Mount Roothaan to Gunsight Peak.
Mount Roothaan summit shot, elevation 7326'.  Lake Pend Oreille in the far distance upper right hand corner.
Mount Roothaan summit shot, elevation 7326'. Lake Pend Oreille in the far distance upper right hand corner.
Gunsight Peak, Hunt Lake, and Hunt Peak, Idaho Selkirks.
Gunsight Peak, Hunt Lake, and Hunt Peak, Idaho Selkirks.
Horton Ridge and Priest Lake from the summit of point 7179'.
Horton Ridge and Priest Lake from the summit of point 7179'.
Looking north from the summit of point 7179'.
Looking north from the summit of point 7179'.
Chimney rock and the Selkirk Crest.
Chimney rock and the Selkirk Crest.
Idaho Selkirks.
Idaho Selkirks.
View of Mount Roothaan on the right and Roman Nose on the left from the summit of point 7179'.
View of Mount Roothaan on the right and Roman Nose on the left from the summit of point 7179'.
Priest Lake from the summit of point 7179'.
Priest Lake from the summit of point 7179'.
Robin and Tanner take a break at the pass between Mount Roothaan and point 7179'.
Robin and Tanner take a break at the pass between Mount Roothaan and point 7179'.
Robin descending trail.
Robin descending trail.
Robin cant wait for the air conditioning.
Robin cant wait for the air conditioning.
Mount Roothaan and point 7179' with post hike relaxation device in foreground.
Mount Roothaan and point 7179' with post hike relaxation device in foreground.
Source for hike: “Trails of the Wild Selkirk’s” Dennis Nicholls

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Spotly

Spotly
PostTue Jul 25, 2006 4:56 pm 
This is an area that should not be spoken of - shame be on you! And yes, it really does suck up there smile.gif A great day to be in the Selkirks, even if it was like an oven out there. Nice pics and TR. So, couldn't tell by the pic which side of the parking area your truck was in - the right side (by the TH) is where they dumped all of the rusty nails from the old lookout. I think it's been picked up bit-by-bit over the years but still a legendary source for flat tires. LAst time we were up there, found quite a few still scattered about.

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostTue Jul 25, 2006 5:57 pm 
Funny you mentioned the nails. We parked on the west side of the parking lot, and i don't recall seeing any over there. I did notice nails coming off the trail on the eastside of the parking lot. I'll have to remember that when i return to hike over to Chimney Rock. Wish i would have had the time to make it to the unmistakable Selkirk landmark. Oh well, good excuse to go back.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jul 25, 2006 6:13 pm 
Shouldn't be spoken of ? I just bought 3 books on Idaho. Hiking Idaho, Idaho Backpacking Alpine to Canyons, and Idaho Climbs, Scrambles, and Hikes (their entire road access and route is in print), no secrets there. up.gif Thanks for the TR and SHARING agree.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostTue Jul 25, 2006 6:44 pm 
Wildernessed, if your ever in the area PM me. I'm always looking for people to hike with. up.gif

Spotly

Spotly
PostTue Jul 25, 2006 7:48 pm 
wildernessed wrote:
Shouldn't be spoken of ? I just bought 3 books on Idaho. Hiking Idaho, Idaho Backpacking Alpine to Canyons, and Idaho Climbs, Scrambles, and Hikes (their entire road access and route is in print), no secrets there. up.gif Thanks for the TR and SHARING agree.gif
Tongue in cheek. Stirring the pot. Trying to make a funny. It's far enough from Seattle to be fairly safe smile.gif

hooker

hooker
PostWed Jul 26, 2006 5:57 am 
Selkirks
I used to live at preist lake!! I miss it. Hunt lake is a favorite spot with good fishing!! Thanks for the report, it brings back lots of memories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mtnman smile.gif

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostWed Jul 26, 2006 7:51 am 
There is no place like Priest Lake, glad you enjoyed the report.

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostWed Jul 26, 2006 8:11 am 
Im so close to idaho I can smell it, but I have to venture over to that state.. Nice TR and great pictures. biggrin.gif When I attemtped Abercrombie last year we were at the base of the summit and the views were to die for..we could see into Canada and Idaho.

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
hooker

hooker
PostWed Jul 26, 2006 5:08 pm 
priest
Have you ever boated into the upper priest lake? It's insanely awesome. The only way in is boat or hike!!! It's a very big lake!!! Lots of wildflowers,bear,moose!! In fact I've never been there without seeing a moose!! The sky at night is to die for!!! Stars are in your face!! And every year the northen lights can be watched!!! I have also seen wolves and grizz!!! Love it!! Grew up on a Hobie Cat up there!!!! I sure miss it! Sure like the sandpoint area!!!!!!!!!!!!! mtn

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostWed Jul 26, 2006 8:11 pm 
We actually backpacked into Navigation camp spring of last year, and did the side trip up Plowboy the next day, awesome area. My brother went back this year and actually had a bear come into camp. Here is the link https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14609&highlight=44+mag My buddy Rich wrote the report, and my brother Connor took the pics.

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostWed Jul 26, 2006 11:33 pm 
Hey Tanner---nice,nice trip. Glad you and Robin survived it! The heat, sure...but I remember that road when I did the hike back in 1997 while staying with the outlaws...er...inlaws at Diamond Lake by Newport: the road drive in was almost a life-altering occurance! agree.gif Boy....I'm itching for some of that Selkirk high elevation granite roaming that I see in the photos. It has been 2 years since I've gotten over there now. I miss it. Thanks for sharing your trips! ps. go roam the granite ridges of West Fork Mountain and surrounding areas above West Fork lake...you won't regret it. It helps to have a GPS so you can remember where to start heading back down to find the trail again. Or just be smart wink.gif

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostWed Jul 26, 2006 11:49 pm 
Alan - Hike 50 in your guide book is definitely on my to do list someday. The Selkirks are quickly becoming one of my favorite mountain ranges. I love all that granite! If you ever find your self back in Diamond Lake visiting the inlaws we'll have to get together and head up to the mountains. RDE - Looking forward to those pics, and report. Sullivan Lake is a real gem.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 1:40 am 
Bumping this to update others as to the road condition to access Mt Roothaan-Chimney rock. If you do a Google search most reports will say that a 4wd, high clearance vehicle is "recommended". I disagree with that, a 4wd with high clearance and experience on brutal and steep mountain roads is Absolutely Necessary! Of course conditions of the road have likely become much worse since those reports were authored, including this one. The OP of this thread said "The last half mile is brutal"...it's more like the last mile and a half. I will not go on that road again without my dirt bike, 4 wheeler, or maybe a Jeep. Just a fair warning, I was up there today and nearly did not make it back when I ventured up that road. shakehead.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
hooker

hooker
PostFri Aug 31, 2018 8:47 pm 
You guys are killing me! Priest and the Selkirks very near and dear to my heart. Spent 14yrs of my life up there. Went way to far west, slowly making my way back. Only 4 hrs south now! Beautiful pics! thanks!