Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > right of way?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bertman

bertman
PostThu Jul 27, 2006 3:09 pm 
So I'm reading a hike review at another site and this person posted this.
Quote:
On a personal-rant note: as far as I've been told, people descending have the right of way, and ascenders are supposed to step aside to allow them to pass. Either way, if you hike on narrow trails where there are people, YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO PASS PEOPLE. Sometimes this means you move over and pause for a moment. If you can't do this without getting all huffy and rolling your eyes - stay home. Seriously. This isn't rush hour on the freeway. We go to the woods because it's nice. It can't be that hard to be nice to fellow hikers.
Contrary to this person's belief, I was always told the climbers had the right of way. It takes more energy to climb and sometimes you're in a groove. You don't want to break stride. I've always let climbers have the right of way but when I'm climbing, I step off about 50% of the time. Sometimes I can use the rest. So who's right? Bertman

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostThu Jul 27, 2006 3:36 pm 
You aren't alone in wondering about this.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostThu Jul 27, 2006 6:42 pm 
I had always wondered about this. Of course the 'be polite and figure it out between you' rule has worked pretty well for me so far.

touron

touron
PostThu Jul 27, 2006 7:41 pm 
tourons should have the right of way because they know next to nothing about hiking and its rules. I think there are 50 different answers to this question depending on the situation. Courtesy should be the effort. "No, I insist, you first!" "Shall we dance?"

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Jul 27, 2006 8:39 pm 
Putz-in-Boots wrote:
I also try to make noise so that I don't appear as a surprise to them.
Jes' never EVER make a sound like a carrot. hockeygrin.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
graywolf

graywolf
PostThu Jul 27, 2006 9:46 pm 
Day hikers yield to those carrying backpacks regardless of direction of travel. All yield to stock (stand downhill so you appear less threatening). Hikers going downhill yield to those going uphill (don't want to break their momentum). 20 to 30 years ago it seemed everyone in the backcountry hiked according to these "rules", nowadays it's rare to come across anyone who knows them.

The only easy day was yesterday...
touron

touron
PostThu Jul 27, 2006 9:51 pm 
graywolf wrote:
Day hikers yield to those carrying backpacks regardless of direction of travel. All yield to stock (stand downhill so you appear less threatening). Hikers going downhill yield to those going uphill (don't want to break their momentum). 20 to 30 years ago it seemed everyone in the backcountry hiked according to these "rules", nowadays it's rare to come across anyone who knows them.
Maybe if we come up with a bandana, we could put some sage hiking wisdom on it including the above. up.gif Make the bandana interesting.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
reststep

reststep
PostFri Jul 28, 2006 1:06 pm 
If going uphill or downhill and I see a convenient place to step off I will do so and let the hikers pass. The same holds true if someone comes up behind me and wants to pass. I am usually not in a big hurry anyway. I remember one time though when I stepped aside to let some people go by and then just before they got to me they decided to stop and admire the flowers for about a half hour. That irritated me a little. Then there was the time near Indian Henry's Hunting Ground and I stepped aside to let a couple of rangers pass and they were unhappy because I was off the trail.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostFri Jul 28, 2006 9:47 pm 
Wheels yield to heels. Downhill yields to uphill. Everybody yields to horses.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostFri Jul 28, 2006 11:43 pm 
The other reason to step downhill of stock (if possible) is if the critters still decide to bolt out of fear, its safer and easier to get those critters under control if they're running uphill than it is if they're going downhill. Gravity can be both a blessing and a curse. On places where the trail just drops off, just ask the person handling the stock where they want you. On one steep slope between Red pass and White Pass, I was told to take the pack off and approach the horse with outstretched palm like I was greeting the horse in a stall. I got to pet the horsey and everyone was happy. dizzy.gif Normally, if I have the dog with me I step off the trail and have Buster sit at my side. If I'm just hiking alone, I yield to uphill hikers. I understand that uphill rhythm and the mental talking it takes to get to the next switchback.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Mount Logan
Canada's Highest

Mount Logan
Canada's Highest
PostSat Jul 29, 2006 12:23 am 
graywolf wrote:
20 to 30 years ago it seemed everyone in the backcountry hiked according to these "rules", nowadays it's rare to come across anyone who knows them.
20 or 30 years ago in the backcountry it was rare to come across anyone, period. hmmm.gif

kabri

kabri
PostFri Oct 06, 2006 9:17 am 
jenjen wrote:
The other reason to step downhill of stock (if possible) is if the critters still decide to bolt out of fear, its safer and easier to get those critters under control if they're running uphill than it is if they're going downhill. Gravity can be both a blessing and a curse. On places where the trail just drops off, just ask the person handling the stock where they want you. On one steep slope between Red pass and White Pass, I was told to take the pack off and approach the horse with outstretched palm like I was greeting the horse in a stall. I got to pet the horsey and everyone was happy. dizzy.gif Normally, if I have the dog with me I step off the trail and have Buster sit at my side. If I'm just hiking alone, I yield to uphill hikers. I understand that uphill rhythm and the mental talking it takes to get to the next switchback.
I'm new to this forum and new to backcountry horse riding (age has demanded I got some help from my horse, the body can't quite make the long mountain treks like it used to!) We always slow our horses or stop when we encounter hikers, and greet them and sometimes have a pleasant conversation about the day, trail conditions, etc. Our horses are not the freaking-out kind in most situations. The one exception is folks with loose dogs with no control over them. My husband yells at these folks because his horse would rather attack a dog than let it be. Dogs under good voice command are not a problem. I've seen some negativity toward backcountry horse riders, so my question is - what trail-passing behaviour would backpackers prefer to see from those of us with horses?

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Oct 06, 2006 9:27 am 
I personally think the present way horsefolks and hikers move on the trail is best, it's not a problem, and it works: Hikers make sure horsefolks see them, then step downhill, take off funny hats, speak calmly to the mules as they pass. If on terrain where that isn't possible as in Jen's illustration, wait further instruction. Any hiker having a problem with that, is unreasonable, in my opinion.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostFri Oct 06, 2006 9:39 am 
Hiking up the Canyon Creek trail towards Seven Lakes Basin, I encountered a number of inconsiderate, or just inexperienced, dayhikers coming up from their RV's or cabin's at the Sol Duc area in the Olympics. I had a full pack, probably too full a pack, and repeatedly had to stop and let the dayhikers through and in some cases stop quickly because they weren't slowing down or budging an inch. A couple of times I exchanged quick words with these parties.

aestivate

aestivate
PostFri Oct 06, 2006 9:07 pm 
kabri wrote:
I've seen some negativity toward backcountry horse riders, so my question is - what trail-passing behaviour would backpackers prefer to see from those of us with horses?
You can start by thanking us for getting out of the way. Don't take it as an entitlement. Make the pill go down easy. I understand the logic of getting out of the way of horses. They are skittish beasts. But it's definitely an inconvenience for those of us on foot. And a lot of us, for a variety of reasons, are predisposed to resent horse parties and their all-too-frequent high-impact antics (such as setting up semi-permanent camps, building bonfires, and bringing, by backpacking standards, an amazing amount of heavy gear, necessitating an equally amazing number of horses). So disprove and disarm the sterotypes by being courteous, and trying to minimize impacts.