Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > right of way?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostSat Oct 07, 2006 6:50 am 
Putz-in-Boots wrote:
jenjen wrote:
The other reason to step downhill of stock (if possible) is if the critters still decide to bolt out of fear, its safer and easier to get those critters under control if they're running uphill than it is if they're going downhill. Gravity can be both a blessing and a curse.
My only suggestions to horsepeople are: - give me more warning you are approaching, you approach pretty fast with those beasts and don't assume I hear, I'm often zoned-out
PIB, Jen: Please remember that horses are *animals* and they think with a brain about the size of a walnut or whatever. (Alas, I know some people like that, too...but that's another story for a different day!) Moving downhill or uphill may be only as possible as it is practical in any given area. There are not a lot of trails hereabouts with "turnouts" like they have for log trucks on mountain roads. As for giving one more warning, what are they supposed to do, blow airhorns every few minutes? We're all up there for some semblance of solitude, and that includes quiet. I've met horses on the trail...hell, I've met elk on the trail...and neither of us knew the other was coming on the far side of that bend because we can't see around corners. And the encounter was a big surprise to both of us. eek.gif While a warning is a nice thing sometimes, it is also an annoyance. I don't particularly care for people shouting in the woods. They can go to the stadium and shout. Now, if a hiker falls down in the woods and nobody is around to hear, will she or he make a noise? biggrin.gif Guess where I'm going with this is that we can't always expect others to make our day better by our standards; the way WE want things to be. But I will hazard a guess because I've got some years of experience at this: If somebody can't hear a horse party coming — that is, two or more horses and humans together — moving through the forest primeval — it might be a good time to get that hearing check you've been putting off.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hyak.net

hyak.net
PostSat Oct 07, 2006 8:26 am 
I've never really had one set rule for who gives way as there are so many factors that would need to be considered. Usually going downhill I give way to uphill unless those going downhill are heavy loaded then its the heaviest loaded gets the nod. Hikers with kids also need to be considered depending on age, and older hikers vs younger hikers, etc. I would not want to play chicken with a horse, they get a free pass no matter which direction. And hikers that have a pit bull, they can move on by quickly as well.....

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSat Oct 07, 2006 8:38 am 
Dave Workman wrote:
Please remember that horses are *animals* and they think with a brain about the size of a walnut or whatever. (Alas, I know some people like that, too...but that's another story for a different day!)
Alright, Gohan and NewGoat are clearly put off by this statement. They say they're at least as smart as the stupid dog who thinks he's the boss around here. Oreo and Essie are content with just opening the pasture gate latch and taking themselves for walks. rolleyes.gif (these are goats, btw. The sheep really are stupid) clown.gif I haven't asked the neighbor's horses what they're opinion is yet.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostSat Oct 07, 2006 9:02 am 
(Just curious how many downhill steps PiB requires? hmmm.gif )

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostSat Oct 07, 2006 3:14 pm 
damn, you folks are just too nice.. I never stop..I just push them off the trail..or I let my dog loose to knock them off trail. paranoid.gif JOKING! moon.gif lol.gif I say whomever steps off first to let the other /s by wins the nice prize...sometimes its me..sometimes it the other party.

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostSat Oct 07, 2006 7:04 pm 
actionbetty wrote:
I say whomever steps off first to let the other /s by wins the nice prize...sometimes its me..sometimes it the other party.
agree.gif I call it " hiker chicken"

miss manners

miss manners
PostSat Oct 07, 2006 7:09 pm 
hyak.net wrote:
I've never really had one set rule for who gives way as there are so many factors that would need to be considered. Usually going downhill I give way to uphill unless those going downhill are heavy loaded then its the heaviest loaded gets the nod. Hikers with kids also need to be considered depending on age, and older hikers vs younger hikers, etc. I would not want to play chicken with a horse, they get a free pass no matter which direction. And hikers that have a pit bull, they can move on by quickly as well.....
This seems like good logic. No situation is the same. I figure 80% of the time I step aside be it going uphill or downhill (102% of the time for horses). Maybe it adds a few seconds to my trip time. Big whup. But there is that other 20% of the time where it is mightily appreciated if you step aside. up.gif agree.gif

jsull

jsull
PostMon Oct 09, 2006 2:21 pm 
I guess I've been breaking the "rules" all these years. When I'm hiking uphill I generally yield to downhill hikers. Otherwise I figure they'd have to wait a lot longer than I would. And with a big enough pack, it's not like I have any momentum to lose. Actually, I usually like the excuse for a quick breather.

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostTue Oct 10, 2006 11:12 am 
I second jsull, I never heard the "downhill yields" rule although apparently many of you have, and it doesn't make lots of logical sense to me for jsull's reasons, and since going downhill I actually have lots more (actual physical, not psychological) momentum and it's harder to stop and step aside. On the other hand, going downhill I can see the path ahead better to scan for a turnout. In practice, I think when two courteous hikers see each other, they look for a turnout closest to the spot where they'll meet and whoever gets to that turnout first steps into it. But mostly I'm sorry for you Seattle hikers (as I was, once) who hike on such crowded trails that it's worth worrying about!

jackchinook

jackchinook
PostTue Oct 10, 2006 4:51 pm 
I propose a mandate whereby every ALW or Enchantments hiker must have a headband with a rock, a scissors, or a paper icon on it...he who yeilds is obvious. In the event that two rocks, two scissors, or two papers come head to head, best of three rule applies.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Oct 10, 2006 4:55 pm 
Quarterstaffs at bridges fencing.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostTue Oct 10, 2006 5:46 pm 
jackchinook wrote:
I propose a mandate whereby every ALW or Enchantments hiker must have a headband with a rock, a scissors, or a paper icon on it...he who yeilds is obvious. In the event that two rocks, two scissors, or two papers come head to head, best of three rule applies.
lol.gif

Moleman

Moleman
PostThu Oct 12, 2006 10:45 pm 
Back to the horses and mules - We met a number in Glacier NP last summer. First was a packer leading a horse and 2 mules, bringing in supplies for a construction project. He and the stock had already walked about 8 miles that morning, so they were really moving along. We stepped off to the downhill side. The more skittery member of the pack string went up the slope to get away from us. [perhaps we didn't appear small enough to him!] If things had been reversed, and he'd gone down the hill, they would have rolled down for a long time. So, downhill side makes some sense. Worst part of all the equine traffic was not the road apples. It was the dust. 15 horses in one string that overtook us on a downhill section, times 4 hooves each, meant 60 dust stirrers. We took a 5 minute break to let it settle.

Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostSat Oct 14, 2006 4:24 pm 
I pretty much yield to anyone or anycritter, whether I am going uphill or downhill, unless they make it clear that they are going to yield. I always appreciate the break, and the chance to grab a couple extra lungfulls of air smile.gif --Gray

Skinem

Skinem
PostSun Oct 15, 2006 9:38 am 
The one who knows the terminal velocity of the African swallow gets to continue on...

Earth First! We'll strip mine the rest of the galaxy later. They call me the thread killer...