Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jul 31, 2006 1:00 pm 
Tom wrote:
Brian states there's nothing in the Wild Sky proposal that isn't suitable for wilderness. Logic tells me such a statement can't be correct if it includes existing roads that are to be closed?
What does decomissioning roads have to do with wilderness designation? Done many times before.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jul 31, 2006 1:04 pm 
I suspect those roads are within or lie very close to the proposed wilderness boundaries. If outside the boundaries, I see no reason for their decomission to be included in the proposal, other than to expand the boundaries in a defacto sense.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jul 31, 2006 1:06 pm 
And that is in keeping with your generally anti-wilderness philosophy. Nothing new, and I wonder why it even comes up in this discussion.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jul 31, 2006 1:18 pm 
marylou wrote:
And that is in keeping with your generally anti-wilderness philosophy. Nothing new, and I wonder why it even comes up in this discussion.
You've added very little to this discussion other than your generally condescending tone. I'm asking questions and trying to offer some thoughts that might lead to some productive debate.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jul 31, 2006 1:18 pm 
Quote:
Because unless you expect discussions to consist of choir members preaching to one another, dissent, especially consisting of people who represent viewpoints opposing you must deal with in the legislative sphere, should be explored. Not supporting defacto closures is hardly opposing wilderness... but what we are seeing here is the defacto expansion of the wilderness definitions themselves, as a land grab. Prior to these 'clarification' on wilderness definitions, grounds having prior use or clear evidence of use roads, townsites, and their users had some level of protection for continued access. Now, with the rules being loosened (or "clarified"), wilderness proponents can claim a lot more land that suits their fancy, once again in the never ending one way street, where more land is added to their exclusive use... but none is ever returned to general access.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jul 31, 2006 1:29 pm 
Tom wrote:
You've added very little to this discussion other than your generally condescending tone. I'm asking questions and trying to offer some thoughts that might lead to some productive debate.
I provided some background on wilderness act history. Not my fault you probably didn't bother to read it. tongue.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jul 31, 2006 1:39 pm 
I did read it, including your edit. You basically confirmed my supposed "anti-wilderness philosophy" is in fact quite consistent with the intent of wilderness, that congress did NOT intend that the designation of a wilderness lead to the creation of protective perimeters or buffer zones around such wilderness areas.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Jul 31, 2006 2:21 pm 
Everyone's opinion is important; pro-Wilderness or not, and everything in between.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostMon Jul 31, 2006 4:41 pm 
The roads in would question lie within the wilderness boundary. I know that you can name all sorts of structures that don't belong in wilderness, but are included in existing wilderness. A legitimate discussion can center around whether or not those roads should or shouldn't be included, but there isn't much discussion to be had around whether they can't. Here is an example from the FS description of the Rainbow Lake Wilderness: "Among the unique features of this wilderness are the numerous narrow gauge railroad grades that were used for log hauling in the early 1900's."

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Jul 31, 2006 5:24 pm 
I agree that buffer zones around existing wilderness areas are out. They were specifically excluded from the original legislation precisely (IMO) because the boundaries were the boundaries, and extending the boundaries in a defacto way with buffer zones would be unfair to loggers and motorized users. Therefore there are no limitations on activities in areas adjacent to a wilderness just because they are adjacent to a wilderness. My general complaint with our present system is that the NF appears to not have an official method of protecting wilderness-like areas currently open to bicycles, motorcycles and snowmobiles. What can be done to protect areas like the Dark Divide, Twisp/Chelan area trails, etc, short of making them wilderness areas and therefore banning motorized uses? And could this theoretical method be used to protect some or all of the Wild Sky area, making the whole deal palatable to it's current users? I'd like to see a three-tier system, at least two of which already exist in one form or another. Highest level, or "ultra-wilderness": this would be like we already have in the Enchantments area, limited permits available for camping, unlimited dayhiking, no dogs allowed at all, of course no bikes etc. Mid-level, basically the wilderness designation we have now: unlimited camping and dayhiking, dogs OK, mainly on-leash except for some areas off-leash as conditions favor, still no bikers. Low level, kind of a "semi-wilderness": this would allow unlimited camping and dayhiking, dogs off leash, and mtn bikes, motorbikes and snowmobiles in areas where it makes sense to allow them, basically anywhere they can get to except where erosion would be a big problem. I'd like to see the entire NF system gone over for areas that fit these designations, areas that do should be so designated, and if the areas then existant are sufficient for wildlife habitat, then the rest basically used as well-managed tree farms with recreation a secondary activity where feasible. Then we can "end this destructive conflict" (appologies to Darth Vader) and get on with the business of harvesting trees and enjoying nature, knowing that our grandchildren will have much the same opportunities that we did to enjoy wild places in their favored manner.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jul 31, 2006 5:35 pm 
good god I almost agree with slugman, except for a couple points... in level one, permit only areas to be avoided if at all possible in level two, leashing dogs an is on a per need basis, not as the norm with off leash as an exception other than that no quibbles. now that we have that almost solved... up.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jul 31, 2006 5:37 pm 
Brian Curtis wrote:
The roads in would question lie within the wilderness boundary.
The difference between roads and other signs of previous use is that roads are expressly prohibited in the wilderness, and boundary lines have to be cut 1/4 mile from existing usable roads.

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostMon Jul 31, 2006 5:40 pm 
Slugman wrote:
...My general complaint with our present system is that the NF appears to not have an official method of protecting wilderness-like areas currently open to bicycles, motorcycles and snowmobiles. What can be done to protect areas like the Dark Divide, Twisp/Chelan area trails, etc, short of making them wilderness areas and therefore banning motorized uses? And could this theoretical method be used to protect some or all of the Wild Sky area, making the whole deal palatable to it's current users?...
You mean apply this theoretical method to just the "disputed territory" component of the WSW, right? As I understand it, the fight doesn't involve the 93,000 acres of "wilderness" wilderness. It's over the 16,000 acres of non-wilderness wilderness to be reclaimed under the full meal deal.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jul 31, 2006 5:42 pm 
Quote:
I'd like to see the entire NF system gone over for areas that fit these designations
This is confusing, as FS and federal wildernesses are mutually exclusive. Federal wildernesses can be designated on any kind of land. Beyond that, I would respectfully disagree with what appears here to be a complete, and somewhat naiive, dismantling of the Wilderness Act. To think such a wholesale breakdown of such an important piece of legislation might be a good practical "win-win" reflects an unfortunate overall trend toward a sort of ignorance of the value and purpose of the Act itself. Too often the 'preserving the natural legacy' component is lost in the selfish pursuit of personal recreation, IMO.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jul 31, 2006 5:45 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
other than that no quibbles. now that we have that almost solved... up.gif
Ha, but what about guns? hihi.gif