Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > How often do you wash your CAR?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker

BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker
PostWed Aug 02, 2006 7:07 am 
Every time I wash my car more paint comes off. That's why I don't bother. I did wash it this last week, however, because I was pulled over for having a dirty license plate. I was in a hurry to get to work the morning after coming down out of the mountains and Yak PD just wanted to tell me he couldn't read it. Understaffed my foot.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostWed Aug 02, 2006 8:08 am 
Every week, sometimes every other week. tongue.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Aug 02, 2006 8:29 am 
I vacuum my car about every third time I drive it. I like the inside clean. I wash it when it's prudent. Depending on the season. Probably twice a week. Sometimes once a week.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Aug 02, 2006 8:47 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I wash it when it's prudent..
The definition of the word, prudent seems to be the defining factor of when to wash a car.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostWed Aug 02, 2006 9:26 am 
The simple fact that I have to drive said vehicle on a dusty gravel driveway just to get to and from my house makes me not even want to bother washing the dirt off. It's just gonna get dirty again as soon as I leave the house - why waste the water? I clean out the inside of the car when it starts smelling really funky or I know I'll have passengers in it.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Aug 02, 2006 9:39 am 
I wash mine and it's covered in mud and dust again in a week. the driveway alone gives it a dust coating instantly, then even one weekend gives me some mud or more dust. there is no point in washing it, even if it makes my rig look like a hobo going down the road. when I'm on a dirt road and I see a clean unscratched, undented car, especially any kind of truck, SUV, or Subaru, I think they're not actually using their rig. City folk in city car. Time spent cleaning not spent doing. If you *don't* look like a hobo, you're spending too much time cleaning, or not going up the road because of a lousy branch on the side, or a rock in the way... keeping your rig spiffy and all prefected eliminates those marks of honor that create backwoods or outdoor creds for your rig. a healthy set of rock chips, a big dent under the door sill, a cracked turn lamp lens above a pushed back bumper, and a couple standard issue branch gouges fore to aft along the entire side of your rig are minimum.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
l

l
PostWed Aug 02, 2006 9:47 am 
Whenever my mother shows up. Not only out of respect, she's a member of the white glove club. But she'd never confront you directly about filth or disorder. No, mother guilts and prods with subtlety, like this question from the backseat of my car: "Jim dear, do you need this or would you like me to throw it out for you?" while holding up a week-old Wendy's bag.

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostWed Aug 02, 2006 9:52 am 
Never! Driving a clean subi is like walking around outside naked.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostWed Aug 02, 2006 9:55 am 
I'd happily leave my vehicle dirty, dented, scratched, muddy - if it wasn't a city car. Some just look better that way, especially trucks. I bought my car before I started hiking so it's really not suited to driving on anything more than a good quality FS road. Until I can afford a second rig just for trailhead driving this one gets treated with the kid gloves. Now me on the other hand, frequently I come back from a hike looking like a hobo. A hobo driving out in a nice clean car. biggrin.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Aug 02, 2006 9:57 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
keeping your rig spiffy and all prefected eliminates those marks of honor that create backwoods or outdoor creds for your rig.
Ha! That's funny because once I was bashing around Whiskey Dick Mountain and got a humongous sagebrush branch wedged in the grill of the truck. That thing was stuck in there pretty good. I was secretly proud of it, but outwardly complained about it, you know, like I was trying to be humble and all. I had that thing stuck in the grille for about 2 weeks. Anyway, this guy I dated for about 2 months thought he was doing a favor when, after listening to me complain about the brush wedged in my truck, he removed it. Goes to show you he knew nothing about everything. I dumped him shortly thereafter. It had nothing to do with the removal of the sagebrush. Or did it....? hmmm.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostWed Aug 02, 2006 10:15 am 
I wash it every week with a free wash from the gas station.

Dante

Dante
PostWed Aug 02, 2006 10:23 am 
I have my commuter cleaned inside and out two to four times a year. I garage it fall-through-spring (until camping gear starts to take over the garage), so that keeps it looking reasonably nice. I wash our minivan once a year and try to clean all the trash/toys/books/tapes etc. out of it once a month.

Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostWed Aug 02, 2006 10:40 am 
We wash ours religiously. Easter and Christmas

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostWed Aug 02, 2006 11:58 am 
Thanks for the sage advice, especially the sagebrush-in-the-grill advice. Now I know all y'all are country folk, but my new-fangled rig is a citified car, used for elegant drives to the Space Needle valet parking and other such things. Why, I even had 'em pave our alley this spring so when the new rig arrived I wouldn't get alley dust no mo'. Plus the potholes were gonna cause clearance issues (the car has 4.7" clearance). Last time I washed a car, it broke down the next day. I had to sell the thing, only got $50 for it. So any advice on how to wash a car without ruining it is appreciated.

Toonces
unleashed

Toonces
unleashed
PostWed Aug 02, 2006 2:56 pm 
I haven't washed mine once in 6 years . . . now it has a nice matte finish that can't be beat! up.gif

If you show fear, a monkey will bully you.