Forum Index > Trail Talk > Picture of the Day (Archive 2)
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostFri Jun 15, 2007 10:10 pm 
Keechelus Ridge at 4,300 feet
Keechelus Ridge at 4,300 feet
(Anybody have a camp set up where the snow blocks the road?)

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Jun 15, 2007 10:21 pm 
I love that pic, Moosie-baby. Nothing beats the pacific NW forest in the fog and rain! up.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostFri Jun 15, 2007 10:22 pm 
I like that pic moosefish!

l

l
PostSat Jun 16, 2007 10:27 pm 
On the waterfront:
6-16-07 55 003
6-16-07 55 003
6-16-07 55 015
6-16-07 55 015

yukon222

yukon222
PostSat Jun 16, 2007 10:40 pm 
Whitechuck FR23 gone in at least 4 places
whitechuck FR23 #2 out.jpg
whitechuck FR23 #2 out.jpg
. TR to follow...

peltoms

peltoms
PostSun Jun 17, 2007 4:31 am 
wow nice picture, so where was the initial river channel? Is the bluffside channel the former main channel?

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Jun 17, 2007 4:55 am 
As far as the page length debate between PotD and Thread Length, they both run about 10 pages per month. This thread is 21 months old, TL is 45 months old. But more important is the number of views. That is the true measure of a thread's appeal. In that area, PotD is the clear winner. TL gets 3,770 views per month, PotD gets 7,413 views per month. And of course, we should never forget who started this thread..... Our Founding Father embarassedlaugh.gif

yukon222

yukon222
PostSun Jun 17, 2007 6:50 am 
peltoms wrote:
wow nice picture, so where was the initial river channel? Is the bluffside channel the former main channel?
I'm not positive as I hadn't been there before but suspect the bluffside channel is new. Unfortunately for the road, the river is now directly pointing at the bluff so at floodstage it will slam into it again. River normally makes a fairly sharp right turn there. This was the 2nd washout, about 200 yards of road gone. On the upstream side where I took the pano picture, the bluff is 100' high. The additional bad news is that if the FS tried to relocate the road farther away from the river, they'd have to deal with a steep hillside. The terrain above the bluff (left as we are looking here) is quite steep. To get around it, we actually dropped below the road washout, following the right side of the bluff channel. Scaled the 100' cliff (interesting 6' final vertical section to get on top).

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Jun 17, 2007 7:07 am 
damn fine pano of the white chuck washout. bluffside is new - you can see the opening for the road on the opposite side in the middle of the photo opposite where you're standing, just above center. Note the cottonwoods on the edge of the current river and the parallel trees standing along the bank downstream from where they're standing - that part of the river is the original channel there - not sure if it originally made a bend at the washout site and the lone stand of cottonwood were on an island.... At any rate, the road probably will not be repaired (no funding, plus there's only one trail back there=low priority, I would think) and there's a way around the washout that doesn't require the boogie-woogie scramble (will save that information for the Trip Report, yukon222 - get with it dude, (if you please, sir) I'm waiting!

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Nisquaww
Hot balls

Nisquaww
Hot balls
PostSun Jun 17, 2007 11:47 am 
Pütz-in-Boots wrote:
I'm not daring enough to test out potential field foods. I asked Imnotaweekendwarrior to try it out and give us a report. clown.gif
Hardy har har. wink.gif

"Why do you have a beard?" "I don't have a beard. It's just the light; it plays funny tricks." ~ Shel Silverstein
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostSun Jun 17, 2007 7:38 pm 
Resize of Fireplace mod
Resize of Fireplace mod

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSun Jun 17, 2007 9:44 pm 
Anyone ever spotted an albino slug before? This was my first:
albino sluggo
albino sluggo

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Jun 17, 2007 10:01 pm 
i once married one.

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSun Jun 17, 2007 10:30 pm 
Did he leave trails of slime everywhere he went?

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Jun 18, 2007 12:13 am 
Posted in a TR, but many folks don't look at 'em all. I'm mostly happy with these pics. I couldn't get a good shot on autopilot (I thought it'd be a quick snap), so I fiddled around with manual settings. More Cowbell pointed them out and I originally thought I'd pass on them 'cause I tried earlier in the day to get photos of these things, but didn't succeed. She said, "you should try." She probably won't ever say that again - I took about 20 minutes getting these while she stood in the cold rain. Even after all that, I still screwed up 'cause I had had the white balance set on "sun." What a maroon.
red fiddlehead2
red fiddlehead2
Twisted clasping stalk, or Clasping twisted stalk - whatever; the leaves are so beautifully arranged, and when in bloom, the bell-like flowers are amazing to see (only one in bloom today, but many are ready to bloom)
"flora macros" macros
"flora macros" macros