Forum Index > Trail Talk > Roads to Curtis Gilbert out--suggestions?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostTue Jun 19, 2007 5:36 pm 
We were planning a scramble on Curtis Gilbert this weekend, and just found out the roads to our approach are not open. Any suggestions for a peak to scramble, on snow, south of Snoqualmie Pass?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jason Hummel

Jason Hummel
PostTue Jun 19, 2007 10:02 pm 
Unless s tieton rd washed out in the last few weeks then its fine. Here's what it looked like then:
The trail has lots of trees down. I hope the weather gets better for you. Monday and tuesday look nice. mad.gif

yukon222

yukon222
PostTue Jun 19, 2007 10:13 pm 
If the Tieton is washed out (I haven't heard that), it depends where the washout is. You could go up the main Pinegrass road 1204 or 1205 and drop in to the S Fork Tieton about halfway back in there. Or you could drive all the way on the plateau, park at Section 3 Lake and do the ridgeline from Bear Creek Mtn - Devil's Horns - Tieton Peak - Gilbert. Or go up the North Fork Tieton and push in from that side up to Gilbert. The Section 3 Lake parking area still might be a little difficult to get to as the snow hangs around on the road till late June normally.

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostWed Jun 20, 2007 5:06 pm 
What road is out, and what's the information source? I'm planning on backpacking S Fk Tieton July 6, driving to Conrad Meadows on the S Fk Tieton R road (Road 1000 on my old Green Trails map), so I'd like to know. I checked the Wenatchee NF site a few days ago and couldn't find any closures.

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostWed Jun 20, 2007 5:48 pm 
Hmm...perhaps my partner had the wrong approach info, but we just spoke last Monday and he said the ranger indicated that the roads to our approach were out. I'll check and get back, but I believe our approach was on the snowgrass side. Mostly my question was for an alternate climb suggestion, but let me know if you find differently on the road access.

Tazz

Tazz
PostThu Jun 21, 2007 8:58 am 
take the tieton road to gain access to the Conrad meadows trail to warm lake. It can be done in a long day from warm lake route. There are also other routes from the north side. The warm lake one is long but good!!

Don

Don
PostThu Jun 21, 2007 9:48 am 
JV, The climb of Curtis Gilbert from Cispus Basin (approached via Snowgrass Flats) is not much fun - very loose. I haven't been back. FYI. Don