Forum Index > Trip Reports > Gothic Basin 8-2-06 (pics added)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Aug 03, 2006 7:03 am 
I b'lieve the subject of mileage comes up with each GB trip report. And each time, I forget the outcome. I'm pretty sure the 3.3 is the old sign that was moved to the new TH, and the re-route hooked another 3ish onto the old trail. On the other hand, I'm dumb. But 1500 in the first mile, and total RT = 7.5 the old trail description (I'm looking at 100 Hikes, 1966). If I were smart (but see above statement), I'd check topo to see, however if Slug has the map with the trail in his slimey hands, then Slug's right and though it appears I'm wrong, I'm still right (see Foists' statement). If I were even smarter, I'd search my TR from last year 'cuz that's when it was discussed, but I gotta get my rig to Firestone. Baby needs new shoes!

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Aug 03, 2006 8:28 am 
Here's the statement from the knowledgeable Sawyer re: the 3 miles being the old sign. It's on the 2nd page of the thread. Don't look at the picture of me being fat.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Jennanik

Jennanik
PostThu Aug 03, 2006 8:50 am 
wolfs wrote:
Not to mention the crazy mine behind the waterfall
I managed to find the mine the first time I went to Gothic Basin, in 1996. I've never gone into it because every time I've peeked in, there's about 6 inches of water. How far back does it go? Is it worth donning aqua socks and exploring, or will big rocks fall on my head? <----This hike is one of my favorites. Note the avatar!

Jen
BarbE

BarbE
PostThu Aug 03, 2006 11:53 am 
I didn't think I could drag my 58 year old body up there after reading about the steepness of the trail. It was a blast, even with a 3 day overnight pack. In fact it was my favorite hike last year. Even the forest trail didn't pussyfoot around. And the reward when you get to the basin. Definitely worth staying for a while.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostThu Aug 03, 2006 10:41 pm 
The trail passes so many waterfalls. Which one was it? Was it one of the ones right by the trail? I couldn't figure out which was the one referred to as "King Kong's Showerbath" either (is it a shower or a bath?). I looked around for a skinny-dipping Naomi Watts, but alas, to no avail.

Jennanik

Jennanik
PostFri Aug 04, 2006 7:22 am 
Foist wrote:
The trail passes so many waterfalls. Which one was it? Was it one of the ones right by the trail? I couldn't figure out which was the one referred to as "King Kong's Showerbath" either (is it a shower or a bath?). I looked around for a skinny-dipping Naomi Watts, but alas, to no avail.
If I recall correctly, King Kong's Showerbath is the last big creek crossing as you head up to the basin, I'm guessing a half-mile or so before you get to the basin. I've got no online pictures of it, so I'm posting someone else's.
The mineshaft that I am curious about is next to the waterfall at the southeast end of the basin, where the outlet of Foggy Lake falls down to Weden Lake. You have to go through a little underbrush, climb down a short drop, and walk along a trail that appears to have been cut out of the side of the cliff to get to the mineshaft. You'll hear the waterfall long before you see it.

Jen
H. Hound

H. Hound
PostFri Aug 04, 2006 8:30 am 
Quote:
The mineshaft that I am curious about is next to the waterfall at the southeast end of the basin, where the outlet of Foggy Lake falls down to Weden Lake.
That is the Upper Del Campo mine. The picture on the front cover of this book shows the buildings that used to be near the mine, Weden lake is below (hard to see in the pic).

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostSun Aug 06, 2006 3:00 am 
Some pics. Tough to choose which ones to post, so here's a whole bunch:
ohh, i'm scared
ohh, i'm scared
A waterfall I have since found out is King Kong's Showerbath
A waterfall I have since found out is King Kong's Showerbath