Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > walking pace
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
catwoman

catwoman
PostTue Feb 11, 2003 10:52 pm 
I'm not a super fast hiker, or anything, but I sure feel like a speed demon in town! Nobody walks like they're going anywhere! Why does everyone wander around so slowly and get in your way? Anybody else experience this? Is this my own personal problem or is it perhaps a dilemma that hikers in general have? I try not to let it make me crazy. rolleyes.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostTue Feb 11, 2003 11:02 pm 
YES! Drives me nuts.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
A. Roseisarose

A. Roseisarose
PostTue Feb 11, 2003 11:19 pm 
You need to stop and sniff the diesel fumes!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostWed Feb 12, 2003 7:41 am 
It's not just on the sidewalks. I seem to encounter it everywhere. My favorite is shopping malls. Individuals that apparently have only one goal in life......being a human obstacle. Stretched out...four across...moving at a snail pace, so you can't get by. Or the ones that you're walking behind and they step on their brakes right in front of you and come to a dead stop. uhoh.gif You have to pull off a "Gumby" maneuver to avoid a major pile-up. Oh well, at least it keeps us in shape. BW dizzy.gif

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Feb 12, 2003 8:12 am 
"Make a hole" "Commin through" "Pick up the pace soldier" "Move out like you've got a pair" (no offence Miss. Feeline) "Move aside civilian" There are any number of things you can say, ah-la the U.S. Army to get your point accross Miss. Feeline! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

PostWed Feb 12, 2003 9:05 am 
Right on catwoman! I almost started a thread on this at x-mas time, but with a little different twist. I think it safe to say that most of us are pretty strong walkers? Yes? Ever use that to your advantage when trekking a mall or downtown sidewalk? Find a gap, downshift and go. The average person just can't keep up with us. ha.gif

catwoman

catwoman
PostWed Feb 12, 2003 1:14 pm 
Ahh, it feels so much better to know that I'm not alone in this! smile.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Feb 12, 2003 2:05 pm 
Yep, those slow walkers and their partners in arms who block the escalators, don't get me going. waah.gif Actually, I don't really mind them on the trail, but those speed walkers... Speaking of which, anyone see that Malcom in the Middle episode? One of my favorites.

C Dog

C Dog
PostWed Feb 12, 2003 2:53 pm 
Bushwacker wrote:
It's not just on the sidewalks. I seem to encounter it everywhere. My favorite is shopping malls. Individuals that apparently have only one goal in life......being a human obstacle. Stretched out...four across...moving at a snail pace, so you can't get by. Or the ones that you're walking behind and they step on their brakes right in front of you and come to a dead stop. uhoh.gif You have to pull off a "Gumby" maneuver to avoid a major pile-up. Oh well, at least it keeps us in shape. BW dizzy.gif
My favorite is when a group of 3-4 stands right in front of the escalators and stops to discuss where they're going shopping next. rolleyes.gif

// Chris Duval // WashingtonHikes.com //
skippy

skippy
PostWed Feb 12, 2003 8:45 pm 
Some folks like a nice brisk walk, rant.gif Others like to amble, redface.gif Some just like to stand and talk, yawn.gif Others like to scramble, agree.gif Some folks shuffle like a penguin, Or huff and puff complexion sanguine, mad.gif Or do the rolly strolly as they glide From wall to wall. up.gif But if I'm behind you for a year, Why not check your rear view mirror? suuure.gif Then suck in each offending side, and bring peace to the mall. biggrin.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
IBEX

IBEX
PostWed Feb 12, 2003 9:53 pm 
Some consider it sacrilege to run thru a church.
I read with some amazement, a tinge of jealousy, and a pinch of disbelief, the trip reports that pronounce these huge mileages traversed and seemingly super human altitude gains calculated to the nearest foot and this all covered in just a few hours one afternoon. I realize the urges of competitiveness that outdoor endeavors incubate, as I to have been previously infected with rash and dangerous frolicking in my youth. But now, being older and wiser and much slower, I can’t help but to wonder if these self proclaimed elite athletes of today, that dash thru the wilderness, just might be missing something. It’s a shame that the busy-bee, rush-rush mentality of modern life has bulled its way into the wilderness. For the wonders of the Washington Cascade Range beckon to be savored and filtered thru all your senses like a fine wine. It would be wastefully rude to guzzle such beauty like a weak pale beer. In this day and age, the body and soul of all humanity yearns for the peaceful and stress free gift the mountains can provide. On day thirteen on the Ptarmigan Traverse, my supplies were down to a stick of jerky and a few lemon drops. All my film was gone and my fuel bottle was empty. Yet still I had no urge to run for the car. Instead I reclined away the afternoon near the shores of Kool-Aid Lake. Without a sliver of urgency, I pulled out a bit of paper and then drew an amateur yet memorable sketch with a stubby golf pencil. Whenever I feel impatience eating away at my sensibility, I imagine this scene and my frame of mind at the time. I am ever amazed how the Cascades can hypnotize me into a calm, unhurried state. This peaceful Nirvana I wish for all mankind. Kool Sketch (168k) Insert by smmslt.

"....what is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen...." -Rene Daumel
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Feb 12, 2003 10:45 pm 
Ibex, your perspective is unique to be sure. It seems others must go through what you did to create this appreciation! Ive been there too. At times I fly through the winderness, but I always try and observe all that is around me. I can appreciate your perspective. I'd be honored to accompany you on one of your trips.... TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Feb 13, 2003 1:46 am 
Tom wrote:
Speaking of which, anyone see that Malcom in the Middle episode? One of my favorites.
Hehe. I do love that show. That was a good one, right up there with the bowling episode. I don't know that I've ever heard of such a chaotic shopping ritual taking place in real life however.

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostThu Feb 13, 2003 8:21 am 
I don't walk fast...Oh, wait. Did I just run over someone with my Costco shopping cart? No time for CPR gotta get to the checkout line fast!. biggrin.gif

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostThu Feb 13, 2003 8:22 am 
I don't walk fast...Oh, wait. Did I just run over someone with my Costco shopping cart? No time for CPR gotta get to the checkout line fast!. biggrin.gif

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.