Forum Index > Food & Grub > Teenagers and food
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
The Tamster

The Tamster
PostThu Aug 03, 2006 9:22 am 
I'm hiking this weekend with my 15 yr. old daughter who just had braces put on last week. She is still needing to eat foods that are on the soft side as her gums and teeth are still tender. In addition to braces she has a special retainer that she has to eat with- making it all the more difficult. Besides soup, does anyone have any ideas on lightweight, soft (easy to chew), hearty/healthy foods. She can't eat nuts or any sticky or chewy foods. confused.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brain
Hates whining

Brain
Hates whining
PostThu Aug 03, 2006 9:29 am 
Instant Idahoan mashed potatoes are one of my favorite trail foods and would be very easy to eat with braces. The potatoes are very lightweight, filling and pretty tasty (I like the southwest and loaded baked flavors the best).

"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds." Doc Holiday (Val Kilmer) in Tombstone
Canuck

Canuck
PostThu Aug 03, 2006 9:32 am 
Brain wrote:
Instant Idahoan mashed potatoes are one of my favorite trail foods and would be very easy to eat with braces. The potatoes are very lightweight, filling and pretty tasty (I like the southwest and loaded baked flavors the best).
Tamster - these are the same ones we had for lunch at Nada last year. VERY good, especially with beef jerky for a good solid lunch on a very cold day!! Of course, your 15-year old can't do the beef jerky now. I'm leaning towards the tuna idea I mentioned to you earlier. The pre-packaged tuna with no water, then add some mayo from a little packet, and voila. Lunch. I think it'd be easy to prepare, easy to eat, easy clean up.

napali2004

napali2004
PostThu Aug 03, 2006 9:44 am 
Smoked salmon with cream cheese rolled up in a whole wheat tortilla. Cream cheese usually keeps ok out of the fridge for a little while. If you are going to have a stove & water, rice & bean packages are good. I've taken some canned chicken with before and added that in as well. I think Zatarain's has some ok ones, red or black beans. You can also put this mixture in the tortillas as well and add some cheese. Yum!

Marc

Marc
PostThu Aug 03, 2006 9:46 am 
Hummous and Pita. You can buy Instant hummous at some stores, I usually add some dill to it. It seems to make it more "fresh" tasting.

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostThu Aug 03, 2006 9:51 am 
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostThu Aug 03, 2006 12:01 pm 
Clif Nectar bars! Ok, a bit sticky for braces... But you don't really have to chew them...

Tricky
Hiker Trash

Tricky
Hiker Trash
PostThu Aug 03, 2006 12:40 pm 
The red bean and rice burritos were going to be my suggestion tongue.gif I live off the stuff when I'm out.

What if the hokey-pokey really is what it's all about??
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Aug 03, 2006 12:58 pm 
Creamy rice dishes would work, as would mashe dpoattoes (The Idahoan brand mentioned is great). Another idea on a first night is fresh pasta witha tub of alfredo sauce smile.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
solohiker

solohiker
PostThu Aug 03, 2006 1:19 pm 
cous cous - easy to make and can be swallowed without chewing - can be flavored with anything you want - cheese, curry, pesto, tomatoe sauce, salsa, buillion, you name it ... many additives increase the nutritional value as well as provide flavor. Falafels are also easy to chew, and again the flavor can be varied by choosing a dipping "sauce" of choice. You can make them using a box mix. Someone mentioned yogurt - Go-gurts (yogurts in a plastic tear-open packet) are really convenient for b-packing because they aren't as likely to break open as a regular yogurt cup. They also keep longer without refridgeration. For trailside food - skip the gorp and let her indulge on a chocolate bar!

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone
sgwizdak

sgwizdak
PostThu Aug 03, 2006 1:48 pm 
Apple sauce.

Starjumper7
Human

Starjumper7
Human
PostThu Aug 03, 2006 1:52 pm 
This may not work with braces, but I've found that the best way to get some teenagers, at least mine, to hike is to walk in front of them with a bag of small candies like Skittles and dole them out in ones and twos. If you walk behind them with the Skittles then they no go forward too well.

The Tamster

The Tamster
PostThu Aug 03, 2006 2:09 pm 
Thanks for all of the great idea. Luckily she isn't very picky and she's very motivated. Solohiker- she must know you. That's the first thing she said, "Since I can't have trail mix, can I just have Hershey bars?" hungry.gif

Canuck

Canuck
PostThu Aug 03, 2006 2:43 pm 
solohiker wrote:
Someone mentioned yogurt - Go-gurts (yogurts in a plastic tear-open packet) are really convenient for b-packing because they aren't as likely to break open as a regular yogurt cup. They also keep longer without refridgeration.
Tam - I've got the go-gurts for Joe, so if you want me to bring some, just give me a holler Friday night.

cheakamus

cheakamus
PostThu Aug 03, 2006 6:12 pm 
You might also consider the possibility of carrying a small pair of pliers or at least some extra wax in case a wire comes loose. I seem to remember my son complaining about a wire that was sticking into his cheek for most of our trip to the Foss lakes a few years ago.