Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trailhead thefts
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
3fngrs

3fngrs
PostWed Feb 12, 2003 4:25 pm 
Just a word of warning to any of you headed up to Mt. Pilchuck, don't leave anything of value visible in your cars. I had the fine opportunity to feel violated today after returning to my truck at 11:30am and finding it broken into. Not much was taken but it sure pissed me off frown.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Feb 12, 2003 4:58 pm 
Sorry to hear about that. All these years parking at trail heads and Ive not been violated! Hope that the damage was minimal! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostWed Feb 12, 2003 10:49 pm 
Hey GM, I was looking at the mountain the other day and wondered if you'd been up it this winter? Too bad the bastards hit you, if there's one thing I detest, Trailhead Thieves! McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Snohomish4Lyfe

Snohomish4Lyfe
PostThu Feb 13, 2003 12:39 am 
Genius
Granite Is A True theif's town. It is like a friggin rule, you MUST do Tweak,steal and Lie. (wait Thats my life!) Not anymore though.Dont have ANYTHING valuable in Granite. We did, it all got jacked by my OWN NEGIHBORS rant.gif mad.gif our stereo, a family heirloom(watch) money gold tv playstation plus MUCH more was stolen while we were at a family reunion. BTW iff anyone knows a these kids name shawn marlow, steven marlow, give them a message. "Monkey is coming for revenge, watch out"

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
3fngrs

3fngrs
PostFri Feb 14, 2003 5:51 pm 
McPil, I've been trying to make it up at least one a week.It's close and good exercise. Sure could use some more snow though.

sea2summit

sea2summit
PostTue Feb 18, 2003 2:10 pm 
mcllelands butte
My car was broken into sunday at the Mcllelands Butte trailhead. Only thing taken was a credit card out of my wallet. the thief put another card in it's place so i wouldn't notice and didn't take anything else so i wouldn't suspect anything. Only reason i noticed it was gone was he replaced my credit card with my gym card and when i went to use the gym card the next day it wasn't in it's normal place. Turns out whoever took flew to Vegas and took out $2k in cash. At least the credit card company won't charge me for it. I even have a car alarm but it doesn't seem like that dettered the thief. So watch out.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Feb 18, 2003 3:21 pm 
Bummer hearing about these break-ins. I hope the unfortunate folks are reporting each of these incidents to the cops or nearby ranger stations. Can't understand why someone would leave a wallet in a car though, unless by accident of course.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Feb 18, 2003 5:10 pm 
When I was broken into at Harts Pass I did report it. I also asked the Okanagan Co. Sheriff if this was common. He said in 2001 '0' reports. For 2002 I was #10. He also said that in 2001 Chelan Co. had 62 reports. My friend from AK said it got so bad in some places that some folks volunteered to hide and lookout for such folks doing dasterdly deeds. They did catch a few. I think that would be fun. NN down.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Feb 18, 2003 5:55 pm 
Hart's Pass! I can understand trailheads off of I-90, etc. and even Pilchuck, but for those dastardly miscreants to venture up there shows no place is safe. I'd luv to see some kind of trailhead observation system come about- more feasibly something like you mentioned- fellow trailbuddies keepin' a lookout. Having a camera mounted somewhere wouldn't really work- they'd be shot at or destroyed in no time. Anyway, criminals could just cover up their license plates near the trailhead. Maybe besides trail maintenance, folks could volunteer to be a trailhead- watcher.

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Feb 18, 2003 6:00 pm 
Dudes! Who do you think steals some of this stuff?! Other hikers!

Art is an adventure.
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Feb 18, 2003 7:09 pm 
And your point? Doesn't make any difference to me if they're other hikers or not- a thief is a thief.

3fngrs

3fngrs
PostTue Feb 18, 2003 8:37 pm 
As far as reporting trailhead break-ins, I think the only good that comes from that is for the number crunchers or data collectors. I stopped by the ranger station(closed). then the Granite cop shop(out of our jurisdiction,call 911), after calling 911 to talk to the sheriff the b--ch on the other end of the line says they'll just mail me some forms and to send them back.I ask "what about these two shady looking guys hanging around the parking lot and their licsence number and vehicle description?"She replies write it down. After calling my insurance co. I learned the only things covered in a break in situation are things bolted to your car. All this has gotten me thinking that Newbies friend from Ak has a damn fine idea!

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Feb 18, 2003 10:02 pm 
Sea2Summit's incident came to mind while reading this story: Police: Mobsters, meth addicts may be responsible for car thefts By Chris Barge Camera Staff Writer May 16, 2002 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Julie Johnston hopped out of her car at the South Boulder Creek Trailhead on a recent sunny day, psyched to go for a hike after driving from Denver to south Boulder. But when she saw a new sign at the information kiosk, she headed back to her car. "Warning!" read the sign, which was identical to those recently stapled near most south Boulder County trailheads. "Do not leave valuables in your car. Call 911 to report suspicious activity." With some trepidation, Johnston retrieved her credit cards, locked her car doors and headed up the trail with two friends and her black lab, Ricci. Sheriff's Office and Boulder Mountain Parks and Open Space authorities have ramped up their patrols of southern Boulder County trailheads in recent weeks, after a rash of about 12 thefts from cars. They say an organized crime group out of Russia and Romania may be responsible for the more damaging thefts. And they say an assortment of burglars that includes methamphetamine addicts is also committing some of them. "It's extremely frustrating for us and for a visitor," Boulder Mountain Parks and Open Space Ranger Burton Stoner said. Stoner added that, since the patrols increased and the signs went up in late April, the thefts have slowed down. The organized crime group has members fly into Colorado, drive to trailheads and steal credit cards before flying to Las Vegas and cashing them in at automated teller machines, according to a Boulder County Sheriff's Office news release. Sgt. Jeff Hendry said the group has run the same operation in other small towns with trailheads, such as Lake Tahoe. Investigators say they think four groups working independently are responsible for the crimes that have cost victims tens of thousands of dollars. However, only the organized crime groups try to make sure victims don't know they've been robbed until the credit card company calls, Hendry said. "It's very slick," Hendry said. "They are very good at what they do." Another general group stealing from cars at trailheads is less slick, Hendry said. They tend to break windows, rifle through wallets and purses, and make charges to stolen credit cards within 30 minutes of the thefts. Sheriff's deputies have made no arrests in the trailhead thefts. Authorities are advising hikers to take only their keys and identification to the trailhead with them and leave nothing valuable inside the car. Contact Staff Writer Chris Barge at (303) 473-1389 or bargec@thedailycamera.com.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Feb 19, 2003 9:37 am 
I think I would give our fellow hikers a bit better rating than being the thieves. Tho I'm sure that some are just as there are some litter bugs. Me thinks they be junkies, thieves in general and punks. Now, way out at Harts Pass, I have no clue unless it was kids. 3fngrs...If you're a home owner give your insurance co. a call. All my gear etc. was covered under it. Not sure if renters insurance would cover but it's worth a checkin out. NN frown.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Feb 19, 2003 11:09 am 
I dont think its that easy to determin who is doing it, as it has ALWAYS exsisted. This problem is typical of auto theft in the *"peoples republic of washginton"* the law is to damn easy on thieves! Someone under 18 has to be cought stealing a car 9 times before they see any jail time! An adult 6-7 times before they see any jail time. That isnt break in's, that's actual auto theft! There has to be a deterant, and there isnt! If the word got out around the thief community that SERIOUS things were happening to them, they would stop. Let's face it, they aren't getting rich off of this! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln