Forum Index > Trail Talk > Lime Belt?  Fishing there? - looks like lazy man fishing!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Feb 01, 2002 2:36 pm 
So have any of you fished at the Lime Belt lakes? http://www.topozone.com/map.asp....&size=m

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Feb 01, 2002 3:03 pm 
That's a fascinating area with great topography, I've been scoping it on maps for years but have always been headed elsewhere when I'm in the area. Every time I drive by that hill I promise myself I'm going to head up there for a look, but it never seems to get on the top of the list. Many of the lakes in plateaus in that area have high mineral loading that fish don't do well in, I'm not sure of the conditions of the ones your map shows. This applies to the lakes on the Colville res as well. Now the lakes on the Sinlahekin drainage, that's a different story.. wink.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
salish

salish
PostFri Feb 01, 2002 4:04 pm 
Did somebody say Sinlehakin? Do tell, Mtngoat. Actually, I don't have any high lakes info to try and trade for you. But I've called the Sinlahekin Valley home every since 1993, only I fish the low lakes where all the tourists go. I target Blue more than any other. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Feb 01, 2002 4:28 pm 
Then you've already hit all the lakes I've been to, even with the tourists fishing them the pressure is relatively light and the fishing stays good! I like the "new" lake formed by the dam that isn't on the older maps, I don't know what it's called but has nice sized brookies in it. It's about halfway from Blue to Loomis.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
salish

salish
PostFri Feb 01, 2002 7:51 pm 
Yea, I think I know the one you are talking about, although I didn't have much luck there (my fault). Have you ever been to the little pond a half mile west of Fish lake? You have to hike in. There are some nice bow's in there. Blue is one of my favorites, and there are some lunkers in there. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Feb 02, 2002 2:05 pm 
I love that area, the topography is so spectacular, there are indian sites everywhere, good fishing, open rolling hills dotted with ranches. I think N of Omak is probably one of my favorite non wilderness areas of WA. I'd move there in a heartbeat if there was decent work. I think my fav of favs up there is the drive from Oroville to Palmer Lake along the Similkameen river, that huge glacial valley with grassy slopes is something else. And an old rail stop called Nighthawk, it doesn't get any better than that. http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.a....=11&W=2 If you're up for a good backroad trip, you can start at oroville and come out on the loup loup pass highway. It's a long southerly traverse mostly on dirt except for a stretch after Conconully on the way to the site of Ruby. Great drive.

salish

salish
PostSat Feb 02, 2002 10:31 pm 
I know just what you mean about that area, it's one of my faves too. I've been along that same road you are describing, along the Similkameen river. I've fished Chopaka a couple of times but the crowds kind of bug me. I'd rather fish Blue. Twice I've tried to take that mountain route out of Concunully to the Loup Loup Hwy, but the snows were still too deep in May. One of these days I'll try it. It really is a true paradise. I've seen so many huge Mule deer and grouse, and big fish. There's a story of a grizzly sow and her cub seen at Mud lake just north of Chopaka. Of course, that area nw of Chopaka is supposed to be a route for incoming buzzweed (buzzweed - amd I dating myself?). With the exception of getting shot at in the middle of the night near Blue Lake in 1993, I have to say it's my favorite region in all of Washington.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Feb 03, 2002 1:57 pm 
There are *really* incredible prices on property up there, it's amazing. No doubt due to the extreme distance from anywhere. I was looking at vacation properties and 20k for 50 acres was not uncommon. Some were on top of Ellenham mtn overlooking Palmer, amazing. Looked like nice spots.

salish

salish
PostSun Feb 03, 2002 3:21 pm 
Man you got that right. Aout 12 years ago and friend and I explored the idea of opening a Dominos Pizza franchise in Omak. There were no pizza delivery places around there at the time. We didn't have the money to invest in this idea, but we had plans of living up there. I'll be heading over for my annual fishing trip in May with a coworker who is from Oroville. We'll be stopping by his grandparents place which is somewhere around Loomis / Chopaka Mountain. I'm looking forward to seeing the country. STEFAN - My apologies for horning in an taking over your thread about the Lime Belt Lakes - didn't mean for that to happen. Cliff