Forum Index > Trail Talk > Tragedy on Formidable
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
3fngrs

3fngrs
PostThu Aug 10, 2006 2:19 pm 
I only had the priviledge to know Ed a short while but I believe that he was brought into my life for a reason that I may not yet understand. Just the morning prior to his tragic accident we were sitting atop the summit of Magic Mtn. naming all the peaks we could recognize as we all do. We had spoken of the serenity that the outdoors gave to our souls and of the yearning to seek out our self and feel wholeness through the wilderness experience. From reading all these posts I know that he touched a great many people and brought happiness into their lives also. Ed was a selfless person. On the drive to the trailhead we stopped at a gas station to pick up a few things. There was a fellow there trying to get a ride to Eastern Wa., and though we weren't going that far Ed gave the guy five bucks just to help him out. I would like to say thank you to all the people that have included Ed, his family and friends in their prayers. It sounds so cliche but I know he died doing what he loved. RIP Ed Gerard

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Aug 10, 2006 3:26 pm 
Ed and I were able to share the mountains on two outings. One was a failed winter attempt on Anthracite and the other a successful bid on Sopa. His strength and stamina will be a lasting memory but what I will attempt to emulate is his respect for others. Being stronger he was ahead of two members in the party but was able to bridle his energy and wait for those trailing to catch up. Climbers often have egos which rival the mountains they summit. When out with Ed I felt part of a team enjoined toward a common goal. Our community has lost someone who embodied the best of what humans can bring to the mountains.

solohiker

solohiker
PostThu Aug 10, 2006 3:40 pm 
I remembered there was a post by Edd that almost foreshadowed his fate - and I finally found it (from "Vesper Peak Accident" 2004) I've included the entire post below but highlighted the words that seem most significant right now. To summarize the situation, Ed and Newdawnfades had climbed Vesper Peak and Newdawnfades had a serious accident on the way down. Ed patched him up on the mountain and got him down safely and into the ER:
Edd wrote:
I was glad to hear from you that you were ok. Twenty two stitches didn't suprise me, it was a pretty deep cut. To be honest it freaked me out some. I have seen some pretty bad accidents and have had plenty of my own. My head has been stitched up so many times you could traverse the ridges,(really). The quickness in which it happened, from the time I heard you yell, till you hit the rocks. Then, and even now, the images in my head seem surreal, but vivid. I felt utterly helpless as it happened and have questioned my part (what I could have done or not done). I am just mainly glad you are ok. When I saw your eye and you were able to move your arms and legs ok, I was relieved, I knew it could have been alot worse. It definitly made me reevaluate what I call my risk tolenance. Which I do from time to time anyway. We all spend time outdoors, doing whatever it is we do, for our own reasons, and I think there are also alot of common reasons. I like what everyone had to say, thier opinions and advice. I definitly agree though you cannot practice anything to much (self arrest), because when things happen so fast your reactions need to almost be second nature. Sometimes things happen so fast there is not much you can do, I suppose thats where assessing the situation beforehand comes in. I have found that what Karen said about fatique is very true. I know that after a long hike on the way out I trip and lose my balance on the smallest of obstacles, that I would of ordinarially had no problem with. I will still do what I do, and even though I didn't take the fall, there is alot I can learn from it. Here are some of the pics, three colors, grey, white and green. Oh yeah and a little red.
It may be pretty shallow comfort to say over and over again that he died doing what he loved but he makes it pretty clear that such a statement is right on the mark. He assessed the risks, and was not careless. He knew he was vulnerable to fatigue, but would never have been happy with himself giving up on the climb because he was tired. Tom, your account of the hours before the fall when Ed (and eventually you) went back to find his lost ice axe was very touching. You said you wished you hadn't found it after all - for obvious reasons. But Ed didn't wish you hadn't found it, he was thrilled. "I will still do what I do" ... he said it himself.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone
uncleben

uncleben
PostThu Aug 10, 2006 3:59 pm 
This is Ben, Ed's son. thank you everyone for all that you have done. reading all that everyone has posted brought a tear to my eye each time. it really makes me feel at ease knowing that my dad will be remebered in such wonderful ways. in all the ways that he truly was. he was truly one of the best guys ive ever met and not just because he is my dad. he was selfless and would give the world to help anyone else. It is so hard knowing that he is not a part of this world anymore, but im am glad that he died doing what he truly loved to do and probably in the best time of his life. i loved him and will always love him with all my heart and miss him dearly. thank everyone agian for all that you guys have said and done.

bertman

bertman
PostThu Aug 10, 2006 4:06 pm 
just my two cents
I'm new to the forums so I did not know EDD. Sounds like he was a great guy. I'm sorry for everyone's loss. As for the Seattle PI article, I read it several times. I really can't find anything too wrong with the article. It was factual but no too clinical. It had personal touches like Ed sharing his photos with his ill mother. It also showed there he was part of an active online community right here. The only thing I didn't like was mentioning Mary Cooper and Susanna Stodden's deaths. But it makes sense from a writer's point of view to show that a community (that's us) has been hit hard by loss and tragedy. Bertman

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostThu Aug 10, 2006 4:50 pm 
I didn't know Ed either but I certainly enjoyed his TRs and pictures. I feel like I really missed out on meeting him. I am constantly amazed and honored to be in such good company with the people of this NWH community. This site and it's people obviously meant a great deal to Ed and in this way I can feel closer to him. My sympathy to all of you who are mourning Ed's passing.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Yet

Yet
PostThu Aug 10, 2006 6:36 pm 
I stayed up really late last night reading all the posts for an obviously well-loved man, feeling the sadness, the grief, and the love from each post. I sat here, read, looked at the beautiful pictures, and I cried for what is lost to all those who knew and loved Edd. The sense of community here is so overwhelming, and I am glad to be part of it. Thank you, everyone. Rest in peace, Edd. I will dedicate my next hike to you. Yet

Lisa

Lisa
PostThu Aug 10, 2006 10:16 pm 
A note of thanks!
I have started to write something and stopped so many times today, but I would just like to thank all of you for the wonderful tribute to Ed. I am an old family friend and am so glad that I was able to see him the last time he was in town visiting his mother. The news came as such a shock to every one. But reading your words and seeing how many people he touched in such genuine heartfelt ways is wonderful. To see so many others out there who knew and loved him. It has helped take the sting out of what has happened for so many. Reading the postings is a true testament to the kind of person he was. He was truly a remarkable man in so many ways and will be missed by many. A more heartfelt tribute couldn't have been done better. Thank you!

Milt

Milt
PostThu Aug 10, 2006 10:18 pm 
Ed Miller
I am Ed's step-father. I have been sitting here with his ill mother since he fell to his death on Monday. We are still in shock as many of your are. Ed had a passion for the outdoors in which began as a young man. He loved going to the mountains just out of Walla Walla and would stay FOREVER. His mom would worry (as moms do) everytime he made a climb. Ed and his mom had a code-come Monday morning she would turn on the computer and check for his photos when she saw them she would feel relieved. Ed called his mom every day since she fell ill. God are we going to miss his calls. I am so glad that Ed touched your hearts as he did ours. He will be with us all in spirit and I'm so thankful that he had friends like you. God bless each and every one of you for your kind words. Ed's mom is under Hospice care so we cannot make the journey for Sat Memorial Service. Hopefully, someone will video tape it and give it to our son Rick to bring to us next weekend. Love to you all-Milt and Kitti

osatrik

osatrik
PostThu Aug 10, 2006 11:18 pm 
My previous post simply shared some thoughts and pictures from Ed. On the hike up Tiger this evening, I had more time to collect my thoughts about our loss. I did not know Ed well, but was privleged to climb Rainier with him, and participated with him in several glacier climbing training classes the last couple of years. What strikes me about Ed Miller, and this has been mentioned here several times, was his extraordinary humility and level-headedness. Ed embodied the philosophy that "It's about the journey, not the destination." His wonderful photography brings this out. He was an accomplished mountaineer, but note how many of the pictures of Ed are of him simply enjoying the mountains and enjoying sharing them with others, either personally or through his photography. I get the distinct impression that for Ed, summits (of which he visited many!) were just one of many joys available in the mountains, and not even necessarily the most important. Pictures of our Rainier climb and distributing Mike Robb's ashes at the summit are treasures that mean all that much more now, knowing that Ed was behind the lens. Thanks Ed! To Ed's family and friends, I offer condolences and the prayer that you can gain some solace from the understanding that Ed was highly respected, even by those of us who barely knew him.

Keep climbing mountains, and don't slip! - Rik "Courage and strength are naught without prudence" - Edward Whymper
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Aug 10, 2006 11:33 pm 
Rik, thanks for the posts. Wanted to let you know that I checked out the OSAT slideshow last night and enjoyed watching it. Especially enjoyed some of the pics near the end which weren't necessarily part of the Rainier set, but were from other hikes that myself and others had taken with him. Thanks again for sharing...

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Aussie

Aussie
PostFri Aug 11, 2006 9:39 am 
I have just finished reading all this. (I was out of town backpacking in the Sierra.) I had the great pleasure of doing the scramble up Hibox last year with Ed to place the summit register. It was the first and only time I had direct contact with him. It is always a bit daunting to meet someone for the first time to do a hike or scramble, but I soon found myself comfortable with Ed. As others have said, he was humble and considerate and a great mountaineer. I am glad he was with friends and doing what he loved most.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Aug 11, 2006 9:39 am 
I am writing from my grandparents home in Ohio. I heard about this incident from another friend who phoned me while driving in Nebraska. I as well as many others, can only share my deep feeling of regret, and loss. I hope the friends and family will work through this well. All I know is that from my interactions with Edd that he celebrated life as is evidenced by his actions, his love for the outdoors, and being in it, experiencing life directly, exploring, and sharing it with his friends through trips, trail reports, and photography. I was recently on Mt. Cashmere with Get Out and Go and we commented on Edd's avatar, the smiley face, and how we could see it from our vantage point. I don't know the mountain that it's on outright, but the smile was there. I will remember the smile, of all things. I am sure he was smiling, and celebrating life the way he did that day, with his friends. Everyone, be safe.

Living in the Anthropocene
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Aug 11, 2006 9:58 am 
What news. Im sitting here in Sweden. It's 7pm, and I dont get much computer time. I just thought I'd log on and say hello to everyone. Then I hear that Ed has passed away! Good lord Im sorry. Ed God bless you, and may God keep you with him for ever more. Tom, Im sorry for you as well. Im sorry that you had to witness such a thing, and not be able to help someone you cared so much about. I wish I could say something more. I wish I had had the oppurtunity to hike with Ed. To all of you who did, be thankful.. I hope when I get back maybe we can all get together and celebrate Ed's wonderful life. Tom Bentzen

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
terrabit
terrabit

terrabit
terrabit
PostFri Aug 11, 2006 10:29 am 
Ed
I met Ed through OSAT. I did not know him well but, he made his impressions on everyone. He was a kind and gentle man. He had a softly spoken soothing quality about him. His presence will be missed.