Forum Index > Trail Talk > Tragedy on Formidable
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostWed Aug 09, 2006 3:03 am 
My heart and prayers go out to you Tom and to Ed’s family and to those who knew him. I never met Ed, but earlier this summer I retrieved the NWHTSR that he had placed on Hibox the winter before. That trip will take on a new meaning now. I will certainly remember his wonderful trip reports and photography.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Aug 09, 2006 4:44 am 
My condolences to his family. Tom, I feel for you. Not a situation anyone should be in. Take care and know he was doing what he liked to do. Thank you to those who posted photos, a very stunning tribute.

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
derekwayne

derekwayne
PostWed Aug 09, 2006 5:06 am 
SO VERY NICE
First of all....thank-you Tom for everything, my heart and love go out too you. My name is Derek, i was a close friend of Edward. I'm sorry too meet you all like this. Words cannot express how i feel right now, i guess numb. i remember many years ago Ed and I were done at Mytle Edwards part for the 4th of July when he got a phone call from "Dayhike Mike" who wanted what else...but too hike, we had plans and i remember him turning too me like a kid in a candy store.....looking for my reaction, i just smiled and told him to go....and off he went, so very happy. I want you all too know that he loved this site and you nice people on it. This tribute is stunning. Ed and I spent many hours running around with our camereas....he really excelled, he was a great man. His son does know about NWHIKERS, and i will be sure to have him check this all out...it will mean alot too him. i could go on for hours, but as you could imagine...i'm a wreck right now. I WANT TOO THANK YOU ALL FOR SHARING YOUR LIVES WITH EDWARD...IT MEANT ALOT TOO HIM...AND TOO ME TOO. Perhaps i'll post some more later. Please spread lots of love too both Tom and Oren, I know Oren well and he could use lots of love right about now. AGAIN...I CANNOT SAY THANKS ENGOUGH....GOD BLESS YOU ALL I LOVE YOU

PostWed Aug 09, 2006 6:22 am 
Reading Tom's note just now brought an emotional reaction that surprised my co-workers. Ed was one of my favorite posters on this site. I don't remember him ever making a snide or sarcastic comment. This is tragic. My most sincere condolences to all. Pat

Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostWed Aug 09, 2006 6:26 am 
In sadness I wish my condolences to friends and family. I can only take heart in knowing we didn't lose you too, Tom. All the joy I felt hiking last Sunday is in the far distance for now... frown.gif Tragedy comes in many forms, and it seems we've had more than our share this summer already.

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostWed Aug 09, 2006 7:10 am 
Holy shít. I can't believe it. So sorry to hear the tragic news. I am relieved Gerard and Tom are okay. I don't know what else to say....

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
greg

greg
PostWed Aug 09, 2006 7:12 am 
That's really sad Tom, my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends, including you two who were with him.

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostWed Aug 09, 2006 7:17 am 
What a terrible accident. My heart goes out to family & friends.

polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Aug 09, 2006 7:31 am 
I only knew Ed from seeing him at one or two socials. He gave me an extra 100 Hikes in the ALW book that he had brought to one of the socials. I gave that book to an visiting Australian coworker who wanted to explore the Cascades. I'm sure other such small gestures rippled for miles as well. What a tragedy. I'm sure Ed is with us in spirit and in some way will still be with us in our future travels. What beautiful pictures...

Davidš
Token Canadian

Davidš
Token Canadian
PostWed Aug 09, 2006 7:41 am 
A few words in a post cannot possibly convey how saddened we are to hear of the loss of Ed. Although we did not know him, we knew of him through the board - he was one of our own - a member of the nwhikers family. Through his posts we got a sense that he was a truly good person and a terrific photographer; enthusiastic about life and of course he shared that passion for the outdoors which connects us all. I know there is nothing we could possibly say that will change anything, but perhaps hearing all these kind words from the rest of the 'family' will in some small way alleviate the sorrow, to know that we all care. Our thoughts are with Ed's family and friends and everyone that he has inspired on this forum. Our sincerest condolences. Karen & David

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
alpinedoug
him

alpinedoug
him
PostWed Aug 09, 2006 7:50 am 
My heart goes out to Ed's family and to Tom & Gerard for having to witness this. I did not know Ed well, but was a regular recipient of his photos and understand the true passion he had for the mountains. To me it's never much of a condolence when the words "at least he was doing what he loved" are spoken. We'll miss you Ed, RIP

Hey voices! Quiet down or I'll poke at you with q-tips!
hopalong
Tree Climber

hopalong
Tree Climber
PostWed Aug 09, 2006 7:51 am 
I hope that Ed finds more adventure in the future. I had the opportunity to meet Ed briefly on Mt. Pugh. That guy was SO tan. Right away I knew that this person loves to be outdoors. He was standing there in sort of a pose looking over the scenery. Just from our conversation he seemed like a neat guy.

Hiker Chick

Hiker Chick
PostWed Aug 09, 2006 8:02 am 
All my heartfelt condolences to Ed's friends and family. What tragic news. All of you are in my prayers.

If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in the dark with a mosquito. Silence is golden and duct tape is silver. I don't write trip reports.
mvs

mvs
PostWed Aug 09, 2006 8:04 am 
So sorry
Tom, everyone, I'm so sorry to read this. My condolences to Ed's family and many friends.

Karen

Karen
PostWed Aug 09, 2006 8:07 am 
Tom, I never met Ed but am so sorry to hear of this. I've read each post and viewed every photo of Ed and his beloved mountains. I wish I had met him. Anyone with that much passion for the mountains was well worth knowing and I am glad that you -- and others here -- had the opportunity to spend time with him. The photos of Ed -- and the photos he took -- are awesome. No words I can say can fill the void he leaves behind. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder