Forum Index > Trail Talk > Tragedy on Formidable
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostWed Aug 09, 2006 8:10 am 
My condolences to his family and friends. Ed was such a nice guy, always ready to help out on a climb, so enthusiastic about everything. He helped me get up Baker awhile ago. When I had trouble going into a crevasse for practice he gave me the encouragement needed to do it, and then pulled me back out safely. He was also the only person on this forum I knew in person. RIP Edd, you'll be missed.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostWed Aug 09, 2006 8:19 am 
What tragic turns life takes at times. Tom and Gerard - I hope time will heal. I wished I had met and come to know Ed. What an inspiration. My condolences to his friends and family.

Let me stand next to your fire
polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostWed Aug 09, 2006 8:19 am 
I never met Ed- seeing the pics and hearing everyone's memories of him makes me wish I had. He seems like a great guy, and I have always liked his posts and photos. My condolences to all friends and family. May he rest in peace, or climb mountains for eternity.

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostWed Aug 09, 2006 8:43 am 
I feel so bad for his son. This topic is filled with testimonials of what a great guy Ed was to so many people. Anybody who knew and loved Ed has reason to celebrate the life he lived to the fullest. I guess the flip side is that it makes his loss that much more penetrating. God bless you Ben, and all those who are hurting. Tom and Gerard, my thoughts and prayers go out to you as well, as you try to process both the loss of a friend and the trauma of the accident. I really only knew Ed from his NWH posts. "Edd" was always encouraging and affirming to others, and always humble and understated in reference to himself.
Ed's caption: Old Guy Lounging
7 labels
Ed's caption: Old Guy Lounging
Lounge in peace Ed.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostWed Aug 09, 2006 8:49 am 
Like others, I never met Ed but always enjoyed his pictures and his trip reports. We did converse about one of his Sol Duc falls picture that captured my interest and it's difficult to grasp this sudden loss. It's unfortunate that it takes an emotional event like this to open the floodgates of feelings and positive comments which we could offer to our acquaintances more often than we do. While you are taking the time to reflect about Ed, be sure you also reflect on those around you and let them know what it is you appreciate about them. Thank you, Tom, and all the rest of you, for sharing your experiences with Ed on this forum. My deepest and sincerest sympathies to all of his family, friends and acquaintances. ~E

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist
PostWed Aug 09, 2006 9:03 am 
I just did some searches on thsi board and read some of Ed's adventures and posts. I liked this reply to someone talking about doing a hike with him, Tom, Collins, Beave, etc (aka The mUtAnTs; that's what I call them at least) "Hey, I certainly don't fall into any of those catagories. I just love getting out period! I have never met a perfect person in MY life. We all like to do what we do, some choose to do things diffientlly, Oh well. Go figure I almost felt a couple of times I was close to heat stroke this weekend. Almost forgot great try and TR Tass. If they were all easy walk ups, most of us would find something else to do "

l

l
PostWed Aug 09, 2006 9:11 am 
I'm very sorry for everyone affected by Ed's passing. In a weird coincidence, I mentioned Ed in a PM to another member last week. And though we never met, I used the words 'decent' and 'humble' to describe him. And of course I admired Ed's pictures.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Aug 09, 2006 9:14 am 
Here are a few sentiments Ed shared with me privately. The guy couldn't spell worth a damn, and he always apologized profusely about it, but I'm very very thankful he kept on sending me messages. ." if I did not get out I would be a raving luatic. It is what gets me through the week.... It is what keeps me sane. I am very passionalte about being out. You might say it is my life...[I've been taking too much time off work to get out]...but remember I am alive today and there are no guarantiees for tommorow. " He and I were to hike daytrips around MRNP after his surgery. The PT was his last hurrah before then; he said it was all about getting out, and even if the trip failed for one reason or another, as long as he was out, he'd be happy. He said he was so excited about the trip he couldn't sleep the few nights before the trip.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostWed Aug 09, 2006 9:47 am 
What a great tribute to Ed! I hope that everyone that knew Ed outside of this forum has a chance to read all the great responses and see the pictures. Way cool!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostWed Aug 09, 2006 9:53 am 
Wildernessed sends his condolences to all family and friends. frown.gif (he is on the road right now and wont be able to get to the computer for a couple more days)

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
derekwayne

derekwayne
PostWed Aug 09, 2006 9:53 am 
Randy wrote:
What a great tribute to Ed! I hope that everyone that knew Ed outside of this forum has a chance to read all the great responses and see the pictures. Way cool!
i'm making sure of it. when the time comes...i'll share with his son...so much love....Ed would be so Proud right now, i know he's looking down smiling....God Bless All

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostWed Aug 09, 2006 9:55 am 
Edd wrote:
"You might say it is my life...[I've been taking too much time off work to get out]......but remember I am alive today and there are no guarantiees for tommorow. "
Good golly. Thanks for sharing that, Quark.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Aug 09, 2006 10:18 am 
Shacknasty Jim wrote:
I mentioned Ed in a PM to another member last week. And though we never met, I used the words 'decent' and 'humble' to describe him. And of course I admired Ed's pictures.
Shack, for some reason, I actually shared your sentiment with Ed the night before he left for the PT, so he knew that he was well-liked.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostWed Aug 09, 2006 10:30 am 
I'm stunned by this and terribly saddened. I knew Ed only through his posts here but what a bright light he brought and his great passion for the mountains was so obvious. I could feel his neat personality through his posts and pictures, which were always great. He will be missed and I want to express my condolences to his family.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostWed Aug 09, 2006 10:31 am 
I had not had the opportunity to have met Ed, but like many of you I enjoyed his TR and his wonderful pics. My thoughts and prayers are with Ed's friends and family.