Moderatrix
PostSat Aug 12, 2006 6:31 am 
bumping this back to the top.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
osatrik

osatrik
PostSat Aug 12, 2006 9:38 am 
I trust most all of you with a map, but.... BEWARE!! The Yahoo!maps or Mapquest directions could get you lost -- WAY "off route" if you use the park's icon on Yahoo!maps! Although the map makes it look like you can get into the park via SE 15th and 96th Ave SE, a look at photos suggest this may be a dead end private street that doesn't go through the park to the parking lot. For the geographically challenged or the left-brain-oriented folks, (or those who trust Mapquest or Yahoo!maps) here's how to get there... Chism Park - Bellevue - 2PM -- Saturday (today!) If coming across the I-90 bridge: Take the Bellevue Way exit, (first exit after Mercer Island) and continue north on Bellevue Way to SE16th Left onto SE 16th (not sure if it has a light -- I don't think so -- its just after the "Y" and filling station). Right onto 100th PL SE or Killarney Way (?different maps, different names?) which becomes 97th SE Bear left onto SE 11th Left into Chism Park. If coming from the Eastside SE 8th exit off I-405 would be best for most people coming from the Eastside. Turn West at light onto SE 8th. Continue on SE 8th until you come to the "T' - it has 2 left turn lanes. Then left at "T" (I think it would be the second light, maybe the third) onto 112th. Then Right (hard right) at light onto Bellevue Way Left onto SE 16th (comes up quickly, not sure if it has a light -- I don't think so). Right onto 100th PL SE or Killarney Way (?different maps, different names?) which becomes 97th SE) Bear left onto SE 11th Left into Chism Park.

Keep climbing mountains, and don't slip! - Rik "Courage and strength are naught without prudence" - Edward Whymper
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSat Aug 12, 2006 9:56 am 
From those of us out of the area who are leaving soon, thank you! borank.gif

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
ree

ree
PostSat Aug 12, 2006 5:46 pm 
Yes, thanks for that, PIB. What a lovely tribute this afternoon. Very, very moving. Wonderful venue, and great hospitality. It was great to meet a few more faces too, and catch up with friends. I was too shy to read it, but this morning as I was getting ready, I pulled some relevant inspiration: "Upon the tops of mountains, the air being subtle and pure, we respire with greater freedom, our bodies are more active, our minds more serene, our pleasures much more moderate. Our meditations acquire a degree of sublimity from the grandeur of the objects around us." -J.J. Rousseau - "La Nouvelle Heloise" 1760

newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!

newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!
PostSat Aug 12, 2006 5:49 pm 
I am so glad I went to the memorial. Thanks for organizing it, and thanks to derekwayne for giving me that picture Ed took of me. It's the first time i've been to anything having to do with the death of a friend, and I don't really know how to deal with death in general. I really wanted to get up and speak, but some things are hard to get out. But I know Ed knows how I feel. I am glad Ed's family got to see and hear some comforting words. Cheers to you all. Cheers, Chris

Nothing I can sing will bring you back. Not the songs of a hundred horses running until they become wind. Not the personal song of the rain who makes love to the earth.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Aug 12, 2006 9:48 pm 
Helluva reason for a get together, but it was indeed an honor to be there. Ed's family is a great bunch of folks, and many of his co-workers were there as well as climbing class buddies. I was touched by those who got up to speak who were not comfortable speaking in front of an audience; but their love of Ed buoyed them up, and to the front they stood, and told an Ed story. Ed's passing will teach us all a lesson somehow, some day. Maybe not now, maybe not even this week; but sometime in the future, you'll look inside yourself and realize there's something different about you, and it's a better difference. You may not realize it's because of Ed, or perhaps you will. But with each tragedy comes a good within those touched by it, and that particular part of Ed will always be with those who loved him, and love him still. I hope DerekWayne sticks with this board; he hikes. Derek hiked to Lake Melakwa that very hot weekend, and has been on the Hoh, and Annette Lake.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSat Aug 12, 2006 10:11 pm 
It was indeed a very moving memorial service... I was really touched when Rick, Ed's brother, spoke and told the story about the sheriff showing up on their doorstep, Ed soaking wet in the backseat of the police car, and explaining to his mother that Ed had just saved a young boy from drowning in some rapids. So rare to find such incredible humility and courage in a man. BTW - You did a wonderful job of putting it together in such a short time, Tom. The service was beautiful.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Aug 12, 2006 10:27 pm 
It was a wonderful memorial, with many great stories and memories. Thanks to all who could make it, and in particular to JenJen, Scott, Derek, Randy, and Mike for the assistance in helping pull it all together.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostSat Aug 12, 2006 11:27 pm 
I don't think it could have been any better; it was was very touching. The stories and words folks shared in front of the group must have meant so much to the family. Thanks Tom, for organizing everything. -- Randy

derekwayne

derekwayne
PostSun Aug 13, 2006 2:35 pm 
first a BIG hats-off too Tom...you are a blessed man. It was GREAT meeting all of you guys. Such a great service.....words cannot say. Quark, thank-you....all of my trip reports have been too Ed (and Oren). This last saturday i hiked up too Spray Park, and have never thought of Ed more, GREAT hike and GREAT day. I had some much i wanted too share, and the thought "maybe i should do a TR" did cross my mind, I know Ed is still reading them, his presence is strong today. I HATE my pic taken, this is the last one taken with Ed and I....Thanks again everyone, I'll be around.
seahwaks playoff game
seahwaks playoff game

derekwayne

derekwayne
PostSun Aug 13, 2006 3:48 pm 
i'm trying to figure out the pic thing, is there a limit? we are some from the service
ed1
ed1
ed2
ed2
ed4
ed4
ed3
ed3
ed5
ed5
ed6
ed6
ed8
ed8
ed7
ed7
ed10
ed10
http

derekwayne

derekwayne
PostSun Aug 13, 2006 4:06 pm 
i have more...need a break though
ed15
ed15
ed13
ed13
ed14
ed14
ed12
ed12
ed11
ed11
ed9
ed9

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Aug 13, 2006 4:20 pm 
At the file size you are uploading, your monthly upload limit will be about 140 pics. There is no limit to the total amount you have, just the monthly upload limit of 20 mbs. Nice pics, BTW. I wish I could have made it, but was unable to finagle the day off from work.

derekwayne

derekwayne
PostSun Aug 13, 2006 6:31 pm 
okay....here are some more
ed16
ed16
ed17
ed17
ed18
ed18
ed19