ed27
ed27

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist
PostSun Aug 13, 2006 6:55 pm 
I think it was pretty awesome to be a part of such an incredible memorial. Everyone came together on this one and represented Ed's vast relationships in family, work, and hiking. Many thanks to all that helped put this together, especially Tom whom had enough going on I am sure. Everyone really pulled through, thank you. I think it must have been apparent for most how he affected others at work (encouragement), hiking (enthusiam), and OSATers (selflessness). It was a true tribute to someone that had changed their life for the better and changed everyone's else's along the way. I sat in the back through most of the ceremony battling with whether I could talk up front or not. I generally hate speaking in front of a crowd, but have recently learned how to overcome the fear and anxiety. I realized that the Sahale story I told needed to be conveyed to his friends and family since only a few of us really knew the story. I think it represented him well. So giving, so willing to help others, even if it put him in an awkward situation, or just downright tough scenario. We love you Ed, you changed our lives and gave us the mountains in a way that no other person could capture with a camera lens. Thanks you Ed.

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist
PostSun Aug 13, 2006 6:57 pm 
derekwayne wrote:
i wish i would have done a better job taking pics, last 3
ed29
ed29
ed28
ed28
ed27
ed27
Derek, your too modest! You captured everything that needed to be captured, very artistically as well. It's all about timing. The thing with Ed was, you had to get up at 330am to capture most of the things he did! smile.gif

Edd's Brother

Edd's Brother
PostSun Aug 13, 2006 9:35 pm 
Greetings to all, I would like to thank everyone that attended Ed's memorial service yesterday. I cannot find strong enough words to convey how much it meant to me. This service was for Ed and for all of us as well, to honor him and to begin the process of healing in our lives. I hope that you drew strength from yesterday as much as I did. I have never been through anything like this and it has shaken me to my very core. Every morning began at 4:30am after a few fitful hours of sleep, followed by 2-4 hours of sobbing, replaying every thought, feeling or image of him through my mind. The images of his fall replaying over and over and over, thousands of times. I could not shake any of it, it consumed me. I stumbled through each day, lost, empty, heartbroken, consumed with grief. I did not realize what a big part of me Ed was. My world was a safe place because my big brother was in it. I was that little kid, walking in his shadow, protected by his immense strength. When he left I felt that safety leave with him. I felt lost and scared. At times I could not imagine the way out, life without Ed, life past the intense grief of his loss. Like a marathon I dragged myself forward blindly trying to find the end. I searched every nook and cranny of reality, wore myself out, trying to get him back, trying to undue this terrible thing. It was exhausting and to no avail. He was gone and nothing I could do would bring him back to me. By Saturday at 2:00pm I could not form a complete thought, could barely tie my own shoes. I began the service expecting to completely collapse the moment I stood up and mentioned Ed's name. Then something miraculous happened. Sharing my thoughts and feelings with all of you was transforming in a way. I could have shared my life with Ed to you for hours...or more, every word was an expression of my love and admiration for my Brother, and somehow sharing that with you began to pull me up out of the horrible grief that had consumed me. I felt that he was once again alive in me, and just maybe I had the strength to go on without him. Just maybe the love that I carried in my heart for him would begin to fill the void left by his loss. Then, one by one as each of you got up to share, my empty soul continued to fill with his love, it was truly miraculous. Nearly each and every one of you that attended was kind enough to come to me and share your personal thoughts, feelings and memories of Ed. Each story breathed new life into me. Yes, he is gone and I have much grief yet to deal with, but I believe I am beginning to see the other side of this horrible place that I have been. I owe some of that to all of you. You gave me a tremendous gift yesterday that I did not expect. I share all of this with you because simply telling you how much yesterday meant to me does not do justice to what happened yesterday. I was able to smile, and actually felt some of the joy that Ed brought to the world, I was able to begin the path of healing. Your words, your kindness, your compassion and sympathy has made that possible and I am deeply thankful for that. Ed was a great man, he was a part of you and you a part of him. It has been a blessing to have all of you to help me through this last week. You were my life line, the support that kept me from going insane and I cannot thank you enough for all that you gave me. My sincerest thanks, Rick PS: Ben, You showed strength and courage beyond your years yesterday. I am very proud of you and I know Ed was so very proud of you. I look forward to the many years that lay ahead of us, of keeping him alive in our hearts, of times together sharing our memories of him and moving forward as a family knowing that we are who we are because of him. See you soon at MaggieMoos....keep the brownies stocked!

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Aug 13, 2006 10:09 pm 
Looks like it was a wonderful time, for a wonderful guy. I wish I had been in town.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostMon Aug 14, 2006 6:32 pm 
Derek,thanks for posting all of the pictures, they are very touching. Thank you to everyone else that was there attending, speaking and organizing the service, it was truly special.

Ebrace life!