Forum Index > Trip Reports > Twin Peaks (North Fork Snoqualmie)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Feb 16, 2003 8:52 pm 
This hike was planned with a little trepidation. About a month ago there was a climbing party who were unable to summit and search and rescue came out the next day for them. Two weeks ago a Mountaineers outing failed about 1400' shy of the summit. My route today is what I think is the most direct route to the top. Travel on the North Fork Snoqualmie road exactly 12.3 miles. On the right will be an unnumbered elephant gate. This gate is the start of the hike. This road is the road towards Lake Phillipa but the very first left about 1/2 mile up will take you to Lower Loch Katrine. Walk past that 3,000' lake and continue to the road end at about 4,100'. There is a nice bench there which was our first stop. After tanking up with fluids we continued on the ridge travelling SSE toward the summit. This ridge is forested until just before the summit itself. Most of the way will be right on the ridge with occasional traverses, almost always to the south (right). This ridge is not for beginneers though. We passed one spot where an orange sling had been used for rappeling. We travelled without snowshoes and did quite well. Car to summit took 6 hrs. Four hours to return.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Feb 17, 2003 9:19 am 
Thanks MC. Was the road itself clear of snow all the way? I wonder how far the road is clear? TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Feb 17, 2003 11:34 am 
Yesterday the snow level was at 3,000'. But there is a significant rockfall across the road at about 2,600'. You would need a bulldozer to clear the amount of large rocks.

philfort

philfort
PostTue Feb 18, 2003 1:05 am 
The road was completely clear this past weekend - it may not be after the snow this week though. We drove to the Bear Creek trailhead (2100ft) and hiked up Bare mtn. No snow on the road. Patchy snow started at about 4000-4500ft.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Feb 18, 2003 1:59 am 
MC, are you talkming about the NF road, or the road to lower Loch katrine??? Did you top Bear MTN itself? TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue Feb 18, 2003 6:04 am 
Joe...I left the North Fork Road at about elevation 1600 and started on the road to Lower Loch Katrine. Before you get to Lower Loch Katrine there is a large rock pile with refrigerator sized boulders totally blocking the road. I summited Twin Peaks. Bare Mtn is usually approached from the Lennox Creek road which branches off the North Fk farther north. I think Philfort confused you as you have been up this road as much, perhaps more than I have.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Feb 18, 2003 12:40 pm 
Sorry MC, I was addressing the BOTH of you in one message! Ha, that didnt work! Yes I know the local of all those bloddy lakes in that area. Hey Mike, what was the snow, ice, etc conditions of Lower Loch Katrine? Mr. PhilFort, did you summit Bear mountain? What were the snow conditions in that general area? TB

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue Feb 18, 2003 12:49 pm 
Loch Katrine
The lower lake had unfrozen water along the edges and looked like the ice was maybe 1 inch thick. The upper lake was frozen with snow cover. Lake Phillipa wasn't frozen at all.

philfort

philfort
PostTue Feb 18, 2003 1:18 pm 
On Bare Mtn: Above 4500ft the snow started in patches... the trail itself was mostly covered, but not the ground next to it - but we were actually able to ski up the trail, kind of humourous. Then approaching "full" coverage just before the summit ridge. We met some other folks just going straight up the mixed grass/snow, probably to avoid post-holing on the trail. Summit was straightforward with an axe or ski pole. The lakes below the peak on the other side looked mostly snow-covered, with a few "transparent-looking" spots near the edges.

philfort

philfort
PostTue Feb 18, 2003 1:21 pm 
Oh, and north-facing slopes had continuous coverage, but thin (we dropped off the north side of the peak briefly, and the snow was about 3 feet deep).