Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pups mush to Copper Lake under Malachite's watchful towers,
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostTue Aug 15, 2006 9:23 pm 
Saturday was what I expected to do on Friday. Work commitments held me back. Lucky, too! I was told that campers sat in fog Thursday and Friday. My often unhappy legs were feeling ready to go and they did fine. The stop at Trout Lake was met with sunbathers and tiny dogs splashing about. We opted for lunch farther along and came to the most wonderful spot where the trail hangs a bit above the sliding waters of Copper's outlet stream. Few bugs and much happiness. The trail pitches more and the hike becomes somewhat of a trudge; the scenery improves and soon the waterfalls come into view. Warned that water was in short supply (NFS trail report), I found sufficient supplies for the pups to slurp. Met up with two dog friendly fellows who have often backpacked. We shared some stories and I directed them to this Website. If they pick up on this, "Welcome!". I rarely have company on a hike...it was enjoyable and we made great progress....until my age caught up and I needed some R & R. Soon, we ascended to reach the junction to Malachite Lake. I had to make a choice...it was too late to consider both on this hike. Darned. The choice fell to Copper, since I had longe wanted to visit it. The approach is very interesting and we found the trail an active campsite with over a dozen folks...a church group....dads with sons...I believe. We got by without startling too many kids. They were settling into dinner time. The lake is wonderful and the arrival was when the sun was most special....warm and tantalizing. Shadows were lowering but the place still had summer fun written everywhere. Yes....beach towels on granite slabs and bathers here and there. We wandered about and took too many Nikon FM shots. Then, headed down. Poor pups...they really wanted to do more than just take a dring at the lake. We got back to trail head without use of (new) flashlight. I had not noticed how rough the trail had been from old washout crossing to just above Trout Lake. It was so for my bad knees and pulled (they are always that way) ligaments. Comment: I have been told and warned that this hike is far worse than going to Surprise Lake. Nope! It is easier and just plain wonderful. Will do it again and, I hope, in 2006! Of another posting herein Trip Reports, I drove up to Evans Lake on Sunday and found the way trail to Rock Lake. Rangers told me I should not consider it (due to my advanced years and grey hair). What a challenge! We will be back!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Aug 15, 2006 10:20 pm 
You have a wonderful way with words. Thanks for posting the TR!

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message