Forum Index > Trail Talk > Women's backpacking trip in September
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
foofoofunky

foofoofunky
PostThu Mar 27, 2003 10:49 am 
Ok, does it sound better if it's a "no husbands or boyfriends" weekend? I think it's healthy for women to bond with no men around, it's a different experience. That's all I meant. I respect that you don't like gender boundaries, but I think you're taking this too literally (from what my meaning was). I was searching for this experience, you don't have to. Anyway, I've decided I probably won't have much luck finding a group of women I don't know to want to do something like this, which makes me really sad. Actually, it makes me more sad that I don't have women friends who are into this in the first place. I've moved onto a new search- asking my guy friends who have never hiked a day in their life to accompany me on this weekend. They have no experience, but atleast I'll be with friends. And perhaps they'll be hooked from that day forward, which would make me very happy. Thanks for all the comments, it was insightful. smile.gif OH, and by "fear factor", what I meant was if some women would be afraid of being way the heck out in the woods with no men around as a security. I know that scares me a little, but getting through something like that would be part of the experience I'm talking about.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
catwoman

catwoman
PostThu Mar 27, 2003 11:03 am 
LOL Some of the men I've hiked with were less apt to be "protective (if that's what one is looking for)" than women! lol.gif LOL A fear of mine is/was to do an overnighter alone. I have done that once, which was all I needed. I found it more of a chore than fun to overnight alone because I didn't have companionship.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Mar 27, 2003 11:11 am 
Admin Note: per request, discussion split and moved here.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 12:33 am 
I just don't "get" wanting to maginalize myself that way. At my work, they have an all women's camping trip, and I've never been able to see the point of that either.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Sand Dune

Sand Dune
PostSat Mar 29, 2003 11:17 pm 
Foofoofunky: Although the demographics of this forum are not supportive of a women's backpacking trip, I have to believe that there are other forum's that would be. Perhaps even a non-hiking forum with a large audience of women...I don't have any specific suggestions...

A tip for Foo

A tip for Foo
PostSun Mar 30, 2003 7:59 am 
This isn't quite what foo is looking for; but Passages Northwest is a local nonprofit org that instills the love of the outdoors in young female teenagers. I have been on some daytrips with them, and they also do backpacking. They have a "Girls Rock!" program that teaches rock climbing, too. I believe King County Parks has a type of program similar to this.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote View IP address of poster
sherpani

sherpani
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 2:36 pm 
Women Only
Foo, I can see both sides of this discussion. I have had some really bad trips with men and some fantastic trips with men. A few years back I was on an Outward Bound semester course with around 6 younger guys, from 18-24. After 3 weeks with this testorone driven bunch I swore never to backpack with men again. They were inconsiderate, competetive, and overall a discredit to their gender. However, with the passing of time, and the truth that swearing off of backpaking with men leaves one a lonely solo packer, I did backpack with men again. Now I am just a little more selective, and won't allow myself to be flung into a group of mismatched misfits like that again. The reality for me is that people don't fit into a neat little package. Now my best backpacking buddy is a male friend from work. I think it is more important to find people to backpack with, male or female, that share your same goals for the trip. Approach the trip with a similar style, speed, interests, etc. As for solo backpacking, I have done it many times. It was scary at first, but now, not so much. I much prefer backpacking with others, but it has proven difficult to find willing partners.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote View IP address of poster
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 5:30 pm 
Now I have ACTUALLY organized and done numerous "all lady" trips~and I love them!! Last year on Backpacker.com forums I met and organized 2 main trips with other NW women which turned into friendships, that turned into other hikig trips. I will agree that it isn't easy meeting other women who hike-there isn't a lot of us ladies out there who hike or BP on a regular basis. Now, I know that I liked the trips as they were very lowkey, little stress-we ate good food, camped by gorgeous alpine lakes and bsed about our kids, our ex's, our partners and our jobs. It also helped the women as we were all strangers and there was no fear of unknown men-or of husbands being suspicous! I will defitely be doing more of these hikes with my group this year smile.gif PS: Micheal B-I understand the deal with meeting a partner who actually hikes. I was single for a long time before I met my boyfriend-it was a major issue for me that a potential partner would truly love the outdoors. And I freely admit it-I met my man online, off of the BP forums-he was hiking partner first, which gave us a lot of time to get to know each other smile.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Damian

Damian
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 9:04 pm 
sarbar wrote:
Now, I know that I liked the trips as they were very lowkey, little stress-we ate good food, camped by gorgeous alpine lakes and bsed about our kids, our ex's, our partners and our jobs. It also helped the women as we were all strangers and there was no fear of unknown men-or of husbands being suspicous! smile.gif
Funny. Why is an experience like this assumed to be mutually exclusive of multiple gender parties? I've had plenty of hikes like the one described, except with mixed gender participants. And with zero fear of mistrust by "suspicious" spouses.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Apr 01, 2003 5:55 am 
Well, none of these women had ever hiked with Internet friends before and felt secure only with other women. Another example: I teach hiking classes through my school districts communitty classes-last year I did a ladies only class, and it was popular-why? Because the women felt they could relax and not be in competition or feel judged. Now for me personally, I have hiked with groups of men, groups of women and mixed groups. I've hiked solo, with my son and with my BF. Being with the women, I am my most comfortable. It is a shame that others haven't tried it-one thing it does is build confidence in newer females-they can learn from the more experienced, and not feel stupid asking q's. Many women I know won't ask those q's around men. Just don't knock it till you try it....

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
catwoman

catwoman
PostTue Apr 01, 2003 8:06 am 
Sounds like the women-only trips are more geared for women who are a little insecure around men.

foofoofunky

foofoofunky
PostTue Apr 01, 2003 10:39 am 
That's not what Sarbar's point was. She said it may help newer women backpackers who are more comfortable in these situations around women than men. Sounds like someone is a little insecure around women. This kind of thing may be just what you need.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostTue Apr 01, 2003 10:54 am 
Call me progressive, but I fail to see how gender matters that much. A friend is a friend, and a fellow hiker is a fellow hiker. Gender doesn't really cross my mind. Why would someone be afraid to ask questions around someone of the opposite gender? I can understand being uncomfortable around strangers on a hike, but just because of gender alone? I honestly don't get it. But maybe I'm the odd one out.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Apr 01, 2003 11:18 am 

Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostTue Apr 01, 2003 11:22 am 
I agree with you, Michael. I don't see gender getting in the way of hiking or alot of other worthwhile experiences as well. My regular hiking partner is the opposite sex, and gender doesn't play a role in our outdoor activities. Maybe I don't see a conflict because we are such good friends. We go with just ourselves, with kids, and with other people. Not hiking with someone because of incompatible styles or abilities, maybe. Because of gender....never!!! BW biggrin.gif

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu