Forum Index > Trip Reports > Little Beaver-Whatcom Pass-Copper Ridge 8/13-17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostSat Aug 19, 2006 10:08 pm 
This report recounts one of the great challenges and experiences of my life, a 5-day 50-mile one-way solo trek across North Cascades National Park. Here's the day-by-day story: DAY ONE: 12 miles, 900 ft elevation gain It all started Sunday, when I drove to the Hannegan Pass trailhead, and then a (now) dear friend transported me all the way from there to the Ross Dam parking lot. I hiked down the short trail to the boat dock. A nice guy gave me a ride on his truck down the dirt road at the bottom. The always lovely and ever more expensive boat taxi ride took me to the Little Beaver trailhead, where some folks were canoeing on the lake. Those were the last people I would see for quite some time. With my car 50 rugged and wild miles away from me, I stepped onto the trail. The trail first climbs up some switchbacks to that great view back up Ross Lake at Jack Mountain. Then it's up the valley. To my surprise, there was no water at all before Perry Creek Camp, 5.8 miles in. The creeks shown on the map to be crossing the trail before then were dried up. After that, the sun started moving quickly and the brush grew thicker. I still had not seen a soul, and the Bear Talk given to me by the Park Ranger echoed in my mind. There were also several confusing re-routes where you had to follow ribbons tied to trees. On one of the brushy sections, I got nailed badly by a what I later found out to be a stinging nettle bush. Not only does it sting badly, but the stinging lingers for an hour, or even to a certain extent for the rest of the day. I was more and more anxious about making the campsite before dark, which made me hurry more and tire me out, which made me more nervous, etc. This vicious cycle of anxiety made the first day the toughest mentally. I ended up making it to Stilwell at about 8:15. I camped in the same exact spot my dad and I had camped in the rain in 1998 -- my first ever night spent in the Washington wilderness. I had just enough light to quickly set up the tent and set up a rope to hang the food. Dinner was cooked and eaten by headlamp. To cap off the difficulties of the day, a mouse pestered me while I was eating, and a moth, attracted by the headlamp, flew literally INTO my eye. I rubbed it a bit and blinked, and the moth fluttered straight down the ground. That's right -- I killed a moth with only my eyelid. All will now tremble before me. I hit the hay (hay = Thermarest), thankful that I brought my ipod to calm my nerves.
Ross Lake boat ride.
Ross Lake boat ride.
Ross Lake and Jack Mtn.
Ross Lake and Jack Mtn.
DAY TWO: ~9 miles, 3600 ft gain My first chore on day 2 (after the normal camp stuff), was to get back to the Little Beaver trail. Stilwell Camp is on the opposite side of the Little Beaver as the Little Beaver trail, which I needed to take to Whatcom Pass and Tapto Lakes, my destination for the day. Originally (and when we were there in 1998), there was a bridge across the Little Beaver right at Stilwell. But that bridge was washed out (in 2003?), and the new bridge was placed a mile back downstream. The upshot of all this is that if I took the bridge, I had to backtrack a mile down the Little Beaver, adding a total of 2 miles to my trip. The alternative was something I had read at least one person describe doing in a trip report -- find a way across near Stilwell. First, I tried to find the old trail. I found it, but the trail led to a horrible bog before even getting to the river. When my boot got completely sucked in at one point, I said forget that idea. Next, I tried dropping straight to the river from the campsite. I crossed part of the river, fought through some brush, and crossed the other half on one of the many giant trees fallen across and around the river. But once I got across the river -- which was supposed to be the hard part! -- I was stuck. There was a HUGE wall of brush, which appeared (although it was hard to tell) to be clinging to a rather steep bank. And I had no idea how far the trail was. I gave up, not wanting to have another anxious day. I recrossed the river, coming dangerously close to taking a very bad fall. This whole idea was incredibly stupid, especially considering I was hiking solo and absolutely no one was around for miles. If I had fallen off that log and broken my back, I was would have been completely and utterly f***ed. I wasn't even on the trail. Not to mention the fact that the whole ordeal took about 45 minutes, or as long as it took to walk the trail detour with no trouble. The next couple miles to Twin Rocks camp were fairly easy, and I stopped at that campsite (also empty) to "drop some weight." wink.gif Soon after Twin Rocks, the trail passes right next to a nice gravelly beach on the Little Beaver, with views up to a couple huge cascades coming down the opposite side of the valley. I stopped there for a while, filtering and snacking. Then, things got very interesting. The trail enters one of the most massive fields of brush I have ever seen, and I mean enters it. The only way to find the trail was to look straight down. Although it was a bright, sunny day, I could not keep my shades on, because then I couldn't see the ground well enough under the brush to see where I was going. I also got stung a few more times by stinging nettles. This continued for at least TWO SOLID MILES. On the plus side, there were views over the brush to the head of the valley, Challenger and Whatcom, and waterfalls waterfalls everywhere. The brush was so bad, I was actually looking forward to the switchbacks. As they say, be careful what you wish for. As I figured, once the trail starts really climbing it leaves the brush behind, but it gets rather steep. One part is all quick, short switchbacks on narrow tread in steep scree. Watch your step. Finally, I was almost at the pass, and I looked up, and suddenly, behold, there were two people looking at me. I've never had such a shock, and a pleasant one, at seeing people. They were the first humans I'd seen since starting the hike. I chatted with them, and turns out they and a couple other buddies were camping at Tapto lakes as well. The climb up to Tapto Lakes from Whatcom Pass is even steeper, as it's really just a rough boot path. Hands are needed in a few spots. The lakes are only about 600 feet higher than the pass, but the trail climbs about 900 to get up and over a ridge and then drops down to the lakes, which were as gorgeous as promised. At this point, I was getting a serious case of the trail nausea I occasionally get. The guys camped there were nice enough to give me a couple packets of electrolyte-replenishing powder, which I thought might help. I saved one for later. The mosquitos were pretty bad at the Taptos. In the evening, a breeze periodically kept them away as sunset glowed Whatcom Peak pink and made Red Face Mountain that much redder.
New bridge over Little Beaver.  Not sure what happened with the overexposure there, that was supposed to have been fixed.  They're actually not quite down with the bridge; they're building a ramp so that horses can use it.
New bridge over Little Beaver. Not sure what happened with the overexposure there, that was supposed to have been fixed. They're actually not quite down with the bridge; they're building a ramp so that horses can use it.
View over the brush.  See where the trail is ahead of me?  Of course you don't.  You'd have to be looking straight down.
1 label
View over the brush. See where the trail is ahead of me? Of course you don't. You'd have to be looking straight down.
waterfalls
waterfalls
View above the brush in Little Beaver valley up at Whatcom Peak.
View above the brush in Little Beaver valley up at Whatcom Peak.
View up at Challenger from Little Beaver valley
View up at Challenger from Little Beaver valley
As I stopped to rest on the switchbacks, I happened to catch a huge avalanche.  A substantial chunk came off the bottom of the Challenger Glacier.  You can see it in this photo.
As I stopped to rest on the switchbacks, I happened to catch a huge avalanche. A substantial chunk came off the bottom of the Challenger Glacier. You can see it in this photo.
Bleached tree.
Bleached tree.
Whatcom Peak at sunset from right by my campsite.
Whatcom Peak at sunset from right by my campsite.
DAY THREE: 9 miles, 400 ft gain Day Three began with partly cloudy skies and wonderful reflections off the still waters of the lakes. It had been a damp night, so my stuff was wet. I had a relatively short day of hiking ahead of me anyway, so I hung out there for quite a while hoping my stuff would dry. I poked around, took photos, and read a book. Fortunately, it was cold enough to keep my pant legs and fleece on, because, damn, the mosquitos were horrible. Unfortunately, although the sun shone brightly on Whatcom Peak across the valley the entire time, clouds kept the Taptos in shade most of the time, so my tent was still damp when I packed it up at around 11:00. As I made the annoying little climb out of the Tapto basin, with the toughness and nausea of the previous day still fresh in my mind, I thought ahead to Day 4. According to my itinerary, it would involve 11.5 miles and -- gulp -- at least 4600 feet of gain. I seriously considered cheating and camping at Copper Creek that night, leaving a shorter hike and climb to Silesia on Day 4 and perhaps a packless day-hike to the lookout on Day 5. Indeed, I had almost completely made up my mind to do this when I ran into a pair of young couples at Whatcom Pass. They had hiked all the way from Egg Lake to Whatcom Camp the previous day, and highly encouraged me to stick with the original plan. They said the trail up to Copper Ridge from Indian Creek really wasn't so bad, nothing like the Little Beaver, and that the entire length of the ridge should be hiked and not missed. I was convinced, and resolved to stick with the plan. I'm very thankful I ran into them, because they turned out to be exactly right. The Brush Creek was, ironically, the least brushy of all the trails on the trip (save, I suppose, the high-traffic Hannegan Pass trail). This was due to the hard work of the 2-man Park Service trail crew I ran into. They were just about finished working on the brushy sections of the trail. They told me that they never made it to the upper section of the Little Beaver trail this year, which explained the difficulties of the previous day. I would advise anyone reading this and thinking of doing the Little Beaver this year or next to check and they've since gotten around to clearing it. Unless of course you like brush-bashing. They also said they hadn't done the section of the Chilliwack between the Brush Creek junction and Indian Creek, but that this was not nearly as bad a section anyway. They were right, that section was fine, and I quickly reached my campsite for the night at Indian Creek after crossing an awesome suspension bridge. (I also, now I learn, passed Kleet, Ree, and Jenjen on the way! So much for the patch, which I did not turn around to look for when I passed Jen. It should be stitched to your foreheads.) The other slightly-annoyingly-close campsite was occupied by a nice family of four doing the Copper-Chilliwack loop, again in the other direction. There were some small, lazy mosquitos at the campsite, but I ate and relaxed by the creek where the bugs were totally absent. It was my most relaxing and pleasant evening of camping on the trip, even without any staggering views. I love a nice evening at a riverside campsite, it makes me feel like a little kid at summer camp.
8-17-2006-12
8-17-2006-12
Challenger
Challenger
Challenger and it's awesome glacier
Challenger and it's awesome glacier
Tapto Lakes and a shoulder of Red Face Mtn.
Tapto Lakes and a shoulder of Red Face Mtn.
One of the Tapto Lakes, with Easy Ridge beyond.
One of the Tapto Lakes, with Easy Ridge beyond.
Challenger and Whatcom
Challenger and Whatcom
Whatcom
Whatcom
Still waters of 2 of the Tapto lakes.  You can see my tent between them.
Still waters of 2 of the Tapto lakes. You can see my tent between them.
Biggest Tapto lake and reflection
Biggest Tapto lake and reflection
My tent and Whatcom Peak.
My tent and Whatcom Peak.
Tapto trail and Challenger.
Tapto trail and Challenger.
southern arm of Challenger above Little Beaver valley from Tapto trail.
southern arm of Challenger above Little Beaver valley from Tapto trail.
Challenger under some great cloud shadows from the Tapto Lakes trail.
Challenger under some great cloud shadows from the Tapto Lakes trail.
Challenger and Whatcom
Challenger and Whatcom
Flower shots aren't really my thing, but every once in a while I'm inspired.
Flower shots aren't really my thing, but every once in a while I'm inspired.
Suspension bridge across Indian Creek
Suspension bridge across Indian Creek
DAY FOUR: 11.5 miles, ~4800 ft gain With the long day ahead and a resolve to set a reasonable pace, I got an early start on Day Four. I hit the trail a little before 8am (early for me). I quickly reached the Chilliwack ford that Kleet had told me (and re-assured me) about. The cold but not icy water reached up to mid-calf on my 5' 8" frame. The worst part of the ford was that the cold water softened up the skin on my feet, so that the climb made my heels raw by the end of the day. There's actually a second crossing, as the river is forked. But the second crossing can be done fairly easily on a fallen tree a little bit upstream, no bushwhacking required. I hit the nicely-graded switchbacks through pleasant forest, resting for appropriate lengths at appropriate intervals and drinking the electrolyte-replacing lemonade that the guy had given me at Tapto. The day went smoothly, and before I knew it I was side-hilling in flowers and blueberries on Copper Ridge, with views back down to the deep Chilliwack valley. The Ridge was as glorious as promised, with open meadows and wide views all around, the widest at the lookout, which I reached at about 3pm. I had the time, so I spent an hour there gazing around, munching on trail mix, and chatting with the nice park ranger girl who was manning -- or wo-manning? -- the lookout. I asked her if she sees many people from outside the NW. She said a smattering, but not many. I noted that all of the people I had met and had told me of their place of origin had been from the Northwest, and wondered why this wonderful National Park was of only Regional Interest. She astutely observed the obvious reason -- access. Unless you're a hiker -- really, a backpacker -- it's tough to sample the Park's glories. Come to think of it, it's surprising they made a national park there rather than a wilderness area. The only differences between NCNP and a wilderness area are backcountry permits and park rangers instead of forest rangers. The ranger and I also watched for lightning to the east, as storm clouds looked to be crawling up the eastern slopes of the Cascades as they are wont to do. In a couple of the photos, you can see Whatcom and Challenger against that dark gray backdrop. We didn't actually see any lightning. I made my way down and back up to Silesia Camp, sitting on a knob along the ridge with views to everywhere. As I was warned, no water right there. The park ranger had advised and others told me they had gotten water down at Egg Lake. I'm not sure why they did this rather than melt snow from a nearby snow patch, which I did. So much easier, so long as you have sufficient fuel. It was a relatively clean snowpatch too. I wolfed down dinner and watched the sun set over Shuksan, Baker, Icy, Mineral, Whatcom, Challenger, bla bla bla...
Bear and Redoubt
1 label
Bear and Redoubt
Copper Ridge trail
Copper Ridge trail
Copper Lake
Copper Lake
The meandering Chilliwack river below Bear Mtn.
2 labels
The meandering Chilliwack river below Bear Mtn.
view north from lookout
view north from lookout
Mineral Peak
Mineral Peak
from lookout
from lookout
Copper Ridge manned lookout
Copper Ridge manned lookout
Copper Ridge trail
Copper Ridge trail
from lookout
from lookout
Shuksan from lookout
Shuksan from lookout
Lookout and my pack
Lookout and my pack
from near Copper Ridge lookout, Whatcom Peak in the background.
from near Copper Ridge lookout, Whatcom Peak in the background.
cliffs on Copper Ridge
cliffs on Copper Ridge
Silesia camp
Silesia camp
Silesia Creek valley
Silesia Creek valley
Shuksan and a hint of Baker
Shuksan and a hint of Baker
Icy and Shuksan
3 labels
Icy and Shuksan
Sunset on copper ridge
Sunset on copper ridge
sunset on copper ridge
sunset on copper ridge
sunset on copper ridge. Silesia is on that knob on the right.
sunset on copper ridge. Silesia is on that knob on the right.
DAY FIVE: 8.2 miles, 1000 ft gain After an extremely damp and cold night in my single-wall tent (the downside of lightweight, a topic for the Gear section), I awoke just as the sun was rising. I looked out of the vented wall of my tent over a sea of fog that filled the Chilliwack valley, with peaks rising above it. If you've ever been at a high campsite on such a morning, you know how amazing this is. The pictures can't really do justice to the experience of being on high mountains above clouds. (This was my second time, the other being on the Twin Lakes trail (Monte Christo) 2 years ago.) I lingered late into the morning, snapping photos and again drying my stuff. Finally, I heaved a big sigh and began the final stretch of my trip, first begrudgingly trudging down to Egg Lake to filter some water. After the trail finally dropped off the ridge crest, the flies got bad, and would only get worse after topping Hannegan Pass. Boundary Camp looked scenic in that lovely basin, but boy, the flies must make it not so fun. Hannegan Pass itself is not spectacular, and I did not bother with Hannegan Peak. At this point, I was really looking forward to my car, and I wanted to save my feet for future trips. I was very surprised (and rather disappointed) to find that almost the entire Hannegan Pass trail is in the open in brush fields. It is not at all overgrown, but the flies are HORRENDOUS, some of the worst I've ever seen, and it was a very hot day. I just wanted to get out of the sun. The advantage of the openness is awesome views of the cliffs and waterfalls above the valley and the mountains at its head. As an early-morning day hike, this trail would be terrific, but at this point I just desperately wanted shade. For the first time in my life, I hiked with earphones on to take my mind off the slog and let the time pass more quickly as I put my head down and hurried down the trail. I triumphantly arrived at the trailhead at about 3:30, and found my precious car exactly where I had left it over four days earlier. What a feeling. I wasn't sure if I could do this trip, or what would happen, but I had done it, and it was amazing.
View from outside my tent just as I woke up.
View from outside my tent just as I woke up.
Sunrise on Shuksan and Baker
Sunrise on Shuksan and Baker
Fog pouring over a gap in Copper Ridge
Fog pouring over a gap in Copper Ridge
Sunrise on Shuksan
Sunrise on Shuksan
Fog-filled valleys
Fog-filled valleys
Shuksan and Baker over the morning fog
Shuksan and Baker over the morning fog
Mineral Peak over the fog
Mineral Peak over the fog
fog starting to burn off
fog starting to burn off

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Aug 19, 2006 10:20 pm 
Foist wrote:
a moth, attracted by the headlamp, flew literally INTO my eye. I rubbed it a bit and blinked, and the moth fluttered straight down the ground. That's right -- I killed a moth with only my eyelid.
ykm.gif Damn. Nice trip. Damn.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostSat Aug 19, 2006 10:25 pm 
My, those are some nice pictures of the Taptos up.gif Re: Nettle stings - try rubbing the spores of a sword fern (usually found in the same area) on the affected area. It neutralizes the formic acid found in the nettles. Nice Trip report.

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostSat Aug 19, 2006 10:41 pm 
Slim wrote:
My, those are some nice pictures of the Taptos up.gif Re: Nettle stings - try rubbing the spores of a sword fern (usually found in the same area) on the affected area. It neutralizes the formic acid found in the nettles. Nice Trip report.
Thanks! Hmm, do you have a picture of said sword fern? It's funny, I've never been stung by those things anywhere but the Little Beaver trail, and getting stung this week reminded me that the same thing had happened on that same trail eight years ago.

Andrew

Andrew
PostSat Aug 19, 2006 10:44 pm 
Congratulations on completing a premiere backpacking route. You really sold me with the views you captured from Copper Ridge. I always forget about it when other hikes are brought into the mix.

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSat Aug 19, 2006 11:25 pm 
I have to admit, when we got to Whatcom Pass and took a look at where you had come from we just thought "Damn!" Of course, we didn't know then that you were the guy we had passed! dizzy.gif (in case you hadn't guessed, I was the woman in the purple shirt huffing and puffing behind Kleet and Ree) Glad to sort of meet you! cool.gif We meant to get to the Taptos. That was on our itinerary. But it just didn't work out for us this trip. Your photos definitely have me wanting to head back out there! Boundary camp actually wasn't that bad. There was a nice breeze that kept the flies down to tolerable levels. The campsites are awfully close, though.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSat Aug 19, 2006 11:42 pm 
oh wow. what a journey. congratulations on completing this excellent adventure - what beautiful photos you brought back!! do you have any more?

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostSat Aug 19, 2006 11:57 pm 
You can go to my flickr site by clicking the "www" button below and there are some more. And there were some I didn't upload to flickr, because they were redundant, not as great, etc. And thanks for the congrats and compliments everyone!

Trevor

Trevor
PostSun Aug 20, 2006 12:23 am 
A superb effort, Foist. A 5-day-solo conquest in that scenery should deliver some wonderful peace of mind. I appreciate you giving some exposure to the tapto lakes, for I have only seen a few obscure images of them. Did you see much wildlife?

wa_rocks

wa_rocks
PostSun Aug 20, 2006 1:25 am 
That looks like an amazing trip. Congratulations! Those pictures make it inspiring. smile.gif

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostSun Aug 20, 2006 6:41 am 
Trevor wrote:
A superb effort, Foist. A 5-day-solo conquest in that scenery should deliver some wonderful peace of mind. I appreciate you giving some exposure to the tapto lakes, for I have only seen a few obscure images of them. Did you see much wildlife?
Thanks! Uh, just that mouse and some ptarmigans. I really stink at spotting wildlife. I have actually never seen a bear. I was surprised there were no goats at the Taptos, it looked like prime goat country. The ranger at the lookout said there are four bears -- a mama and her 2 cubs plus another single bear -- that have been roaming Copper Ridge.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostSun Aug 20, 2006 7:49 am 
Foist wrote:
(I also, now I learn, passed Kleet, Ree, and Jenjen on the way! So much for the patch, which I did not turn around to look for when I passed Jen. It should be stitched to your foreheads.)
Hey Foist! When the three of us would get together at a rest break on the trail or at camp, we often compared notes on the folks we'd passed on the trail, wondering if any were "regulars". Dang... sorry I didn't ask at the time if you were a nwhiker. Good to meet you. Did you see any spawning salmon as you forded the Chilliwack? Like Jen said, we were damn glad to be at the top of Whatcom Pass looking down, rather than struggling up that beast from the Little Beaver side of it. We did spot a mama bear and her cub on our way down from Whatcom Pass, near Graybeal Camp. Great TR, congrats!

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
ree

ree
PostSun Aug 20, 2006 8:04 am 
So that was you, Foist! When you told us Beaver Creek hadn't been cleared yet, I almost felt your pain. And the elevation gain coming up to Whatcom Pass looked like no picnic. Wonderful trip and trip report!!! Loved your pictures of the cloud covered Chillawack drainage from Copper Ridge and Tapto Lakes. We were hoping to go there. I guess it worked out for the best - especially when you said there were lots of mosquitoes!! Another trip, perhaps. Glad you had a fabulous, safe trip!

plain old dan

plain old dan
PostSun Aug 20, 2006 9:52 am 
"Whatcom Peak at sunset" - fantastic shot!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostSun Aug 20, 2006 9:52 am 
Now that was an adventure and a fine one at that...congrats and thanks for the TR and pics biggrin.gif I personally dont know what I would have done if I passed by Kleet, Ree and jen Jen, maybe hide in the bushes with my bear spray ready, those hooligans winksmile.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley