Forum Index > Trip Reports > Adams Creek Meadows
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kiliki

kiliki
PostSun Aug 20, 2006 8:54 pm 
First, thanks to all who answered my South Cascades questions in the Trail Talk forum. Second, WOW!! What a destination. Mt. Adams HUGE right above, views to St. Helens (steam plume!) and Rainier and the Goat Rocks, easy roaming over meadows...it was fantastic. Watching the stars come up over Adams was incredible. Trail: The trailhead was overflowing when we got there. We started on the Killen Creek trail and then took the High Camp trail up to the meadows. There are nice spots to camp, with water and an Adams view, at 2.2 miles in a meadow below the PCT if you're so inclined. I was pretty excited that it was only 4 miles in-I've never been on that short a backpack trip in my life-but it turned out to be a little harder than I expected. The trail was very dusty and at times it was like walking on a beach, uphill, except we were choking on dust, too. The trail to High Camp, after the Killen Creek trail ends at the PCT, was almost straight up in some places, and over slippery shale in others. But it only took us 2 hours of hiking to get up to the meadows so that was nice. Flowers are past prime and the meadows are turning brown. Camp: There was hardly anyone else up there, despite all the cars at the trailhead, and we found a great spot, luckily near a creeklet that turned out to be he only one around that had running water the whole time. There are a number of other creeklets that are snow-fed, and these only had running water in late afternoon and evening. Fill up your bottles in the evening if you're camping up here if you want to be safe. I'm so used to being in valleys or in the woods and being out in the sun on a high meadow, surrounded just by a few stunted trees, was a treat-it was the warmest campsite I've ever had. The poster that told me it would take a Sierra Club convention to fill up the meadows was right-there was so much room here that on an August weekend we only saw 3 other tents, and they were quite a ways away. Bugs: Flies pesky on the trail up, zero (!!) bugs in the afternoon and evening in the meadows, some bees and flies the next morning in camp. Here are a few pics but if you want to see GOOD pictures, look at Brain's trip report from a few weeks ago.
Adams Creek Meadows
Adams Creek Meadows
Lower meadows and St. Helens
Lower meadows and St. Helens
Rainier from Adams Creek Meadows
Rainier from Adams Creek Meadows

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message