Forum Index > Trail Talk > Enchantment Permits
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostFri Feb 28, 2003 2:32 pm 
The permit system came about because of overcrowding in the Enchantments, and I've been up there 4 times over 15 years during the permit system and found little crowding- the area is big enough that folks can find reasonable enough solitude, especially in the upper Enchantments. If one is a respectable outdoorsperson then following a list of do's and don'ts is no big deal- it's just common sense really. It's a spectacular area worthy of a visit and one probably won't be enough.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostFri Feb 28, 2003 2:40 pm 
I'd rather spend my money to be "crowded in" with 100 other people than to spend my money to be "crowded in" with thousands at DisneyLand or even Federal's enchanted village. There are adequate places to camp and if you use Hennessey Hammocks, you can even be a little creative about where you camp. Randy pointed out the Crystal creek route which is a route I've done and we dry camped in an area below Crystal creek which is out of the permit zone. Lots of possibilities. You don't have to camp at Leprechaun, consider going over to Shields or Earle-Mesa. It is beautiful and it is worth the effort and unfortunately that is why there is a permit system in place. Prior to the permit system the place swarmed with people like you wouldn't believe. You can bet I've put in for my permit again this year.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostFri Feb 28, 2003 4:41 pm 
Enchantment Lakes
I understand the permit system to keep down the people. It's the $60.00 that bothers me. Why aren't they free? Like everywhere else! rant.gif

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
-lol-

-lol-
PostFri Feb 28, 2003 4:58 pm 

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Mar 04, 2003 11:54 pm 
Yes sir, dumping thems crappers must be a bumemr! Not the kind of duty I'd want to have! TB winksmile.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 12:28 am 
It's nice to know that by paying my fees, I am paying for enforcement for all of my climber friends, who are in large part 'above getting permits' because climbers 'impact less'. Matter of fact, I had an interesting conversation tonight at the cc.com weekly drinking thing about what is hiking and what is climbing, and the character I was talking with said 'if they are in jeans, they are tourist hikers, and if they are in Goretex, they are climbers!'. I'm thinking that in the lightweight crowd that makes us NEITHER, and in the regular crowd, we are all suddenly climbers, even if we don't know our third from our fifth, and our Munter from our Altimeter.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 12:32 am 
Well the funny thing is this; unless they (climbers) get helicoptered in there, they *are* hikers until the climb begins. Then they're hikers again until they get into their cars.... We hikers may not be climbers, but those climbers *are* hikers too. So let's have them pay their bloody fees like the rest of us aye!!! TB winksmile.gif biggrin.gif winksmile.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
salish

salish
PostFri Mar 07, 2003 10:44 am 
I just got my permit in the mail today, and I'll be up there Aug. 28th-31st. Dean, I'll visit your Yahoo Enchantments site, and I'll be in touch about yet another route. Lot's of wonderful info in this thread, thanks! Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostFri Mar 07, 2003 3:19 pm 
BPJ, I too look forward to spending some time with another Enchantment addict. Lots of nooks and crannies to explore still plus our G3 cameras will need to get a good workout. Cliff: I just got my permit in the mail, same time frame, Aug 28 - Sept 2. Maybe we can have a NWHiker social up there. wink.gif All are welcome to check out the yahoo group on the Enchantments, it is perking up some. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/enchantmentlakesofwashington/

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Mar 07, 2003 4:23 pm 
How's this for irony, I just recieved my permits too! Aug 25th through Aug 29th We'll all be up there at the same bloody time! What a country! TB

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Mar 07, 2003 5:13 pm 
What a shame, I think we're heading up to Silver Lake at that time. winksmile.gif

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostFri Mar 07, 2003 5:39 pm 
There's gonna be a crowd at Silver Lake at the end of August then! eek.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Mar 07, 2003 5:43 pm 
Hah, Randy maybe I'm sandbagging you by a month. embarassedlaugh.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Mar 07, 2003 7:22 pm 
Oh, that's ok. Somebody can have my Chantments permits if I can get a shot at silver lake! winksmile.gif TB

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostFri Mar 07, 2003 7:53 pm 
For your sake I hope not. Don't think your few mountains would be as fun. Besides it's no contest! mad.gif BPJ, forget the Enchanments -- you've been there 50 times anyhow. They're nice, but don't compare to being really "out there".