Forum Index > Trail Talk > foss lake photos
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Mar 02, 2003 6:49 pm 
He wasnt BORN yet Ebineezer! That was in the late 50's and very early 60's! Thomas is a youngster! Well kind of anyway! biggrin.gif TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostMon Mar 03, 2003 12:01 am 
why walk when...
Wow Tom, It may be advisable to get a cold beer, fire up the computer, then spend quality time with your mind candy picture ! That picture says a thousand words and throws light on many a hiker's summer and autumn plans. Maybe I can avoid a blister by just enlarging this lake, that ridge or snowfield, sans the insects. drock

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Mar 03, 2003 11:06 am 
Poor Avalanche Lake(s). Aptly named for sure, there looks to be several tons of avalanche debris sitting almost directly on top of it.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Mar 03, 2003 11:29 am 
Well, you can clearly see Iceberg there, avalanch is tough though. gotta go in there this year for sure. I want to see Ice lakes this year too! I'm going to have June, July, August and part of Sept. off this year. Gonna be a good one! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Mar 03, 2003 11:50 am 
Avalanche is incorrectly depicted on the quad. It's actually 3 or 4 (depending on what you want to call a lake) small lakes interconnected by small creeks. They're next to impossible to pick out with all the snow on top of them. The entire basin is a collecting area for avalanches so the lakes are all shallow. So shallow they supposedly don't support fish too well, if at all. You'll like Iceberg, the view from on top of the falls back down the valley is one of the best around.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Mar 03, 2003 11:54 am 
Thanks Randy. Ive been wanting to do that trip for a long time. Dante and I have talked about it many times. I think Ill go in via Park lakes. Straight to glacier and pend the first night at Chickamin. Then its' over to Ice Berg and overcoat. Can you get down to Avalanch very easily? TB

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Mar 03, 2003 12:04 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Thanks Randy. Ive been wanting to do that trip for a long time. Dante and I have talked about it many times. I think Ill go in via Park lakes. Straight to glacier and pend the first night at Chickamin. Then its' over to Ice Berg and overcoat. Can you get down to Avalanch very easily? TB
If you want to go Avalanche the easiest and safest way is to drop a few grand straight down into the valley from the pass just above Chikamin. I've never done the route down from Iceberg, but someone who frequents this board said his knees were knocking trying to get down that route. They went back up the talus straight up to Chikamin Lake.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Mar 03, 2003 12:14 pm 
I've been wanting to do Avalanche via Chikamin for a while too. Perhaps another NWHikers outing is in order...

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Mar 03, 2003 12:34 pm 
Now there is a good idea! Now we just have to decide on the route, and length in days! I say in via park lakes (fastest I think) and if you're over at Ice berg you have to checkout Overcoat! TB

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Mar 03, 2003 12:39 pm 
Even faster than the Park approach is going up and then down to Iceberg from the end of the MFK road if it doesn't get gated. Only problem is you don't get the Glacier and Chikamin bonus. Unless you're interested in getting to the base of the falls, there is no reason to go down to Avalanche Lakes. No reason!

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Mar 03, 2003 1:03 pm 
Eh, I wanted to go in via Pete and take a pit stop at the upper Lemah valley. Plus, after seeing that ungodly brush along the Park approach, I don't think you could pay me to go that way... tongue.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Mar 03, 2003 1:11 pm 
The brush along mineral creek is over-exagerrated. I've done it twice and it barely registers on the brush-o-meter.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostMon Mar 03, 2003 1:56 pm 
I'm the guy with the knocking knees that Randy mentioned. It is a tad steep going down from Iceberg to Avalanche via the direct route by the waterfall. We made it, but I certainly don't recommend it. As Randy said, the quickest route in would be via the end if the Middle Fork Road. We would have gone that way but the road was washed out that year so we went up via Mineral Creek. Didn't find anything objectionable about that trail.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Alpenish-ishpish

Alpenish-ishpish
PostMon Mar 03, 2003 2:00 pm 
I know a fellow who once caught some big rainbow carp from one of those lakes, anybody know who stocked them, or are they native?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostMon Mar 03, 2003 3:38 pm 
There are very few high lakes with native fish populations. Those fish would have been stocked by the Trail Blazers for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (or Game Department, or whatever it was called whenever that fellow caught his fish).

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch