Forum Index > Trip Reports > Point 5311' (Derrick-Wildcat) - 2/23/03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostSun Feb 23, 2003 8:54 pm 
We assembled a mighty party or 4 to tackle this seldom climbed peak just south of Dingford Creek in the MFK Snoqualmie drainage. Besides myself, also along for the trip were Craig (Beave), Mike Collins, and Tom (yes, admin Tom). We left the Dingford trailhead about 10 minutes to 0800 and made our way down the trail to the MFK where we crossed on the nice, big bridge. Upon hitting the MFK trail we turned left and proceeded about 300 yards before heading uphill into the brush. Actually, the brush was seldom bad and almost always avoidable -- the only significant obstacles for most of the route were various sizes of cliff bands and rock outcroppings, but never anything really, really horrible. Our basic route was to ascend that SW trending ridge the fades out around 3200'. Consistent snow started around 3000' (6-12 inches). We continued to ascend in a general SW direction until on top of point 5082'. Unfortunately, the connecting ridge to point 5258' is not completely hospitable and 3 of us decided to traverse 150' or so below these points while our 4th member committed himself to the ridge and was only able to remove himself from these sketchy rocks after taking a "leap of faith" which amazingly worked out in the end biggrin.gif. Anyhow...we traversed and traversed until just below and NE of our little summit and started the seemingly endless slog up the final 350' or so. The snow was nice and deep and the going slow, but credit must be given to Mike and Craig who have kept themselves in much better shape than me this winter and took on the majority of the trail breaking duties. The four of us arrived on top around 1300 or just a little after. Noteworthy views included just about everything in the ALW to the north and east (Big Snow Mountain and Garfield probably the most outstanding) and Kaleetan and Lower Wildcat Lake looked good to the south. Temperatures were in the low 20's on top and as we complained of frozen hands we tried our best to take a few pictures and fuel up with candy bars and assorted sandwiches. Our descent route was much the same as what we used on the way in until about 2200' or so. Here we diverted more to the west and popped back out onto the MFK trail about 75 yards west of the bridge. All in all, a great day with a good bunch of guys and of course near perfect weather.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Feb 23, 2003 9:55 pm 
Low 20's? Hmm, must have been pre-wind chill, I'm not sure my fingers have thawed completely. winksmile.gif 1-2 pics was the max before fingers were completely numb. This one takes the cake though. Needless to say, Mike is the one of the most entertaining hiking companions you'll find.

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Feb 24, 2003 10:15 am 
Awesome beard growth!

Art is an adventure.
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Feb 24, 2003 10:20 am 
I believe it is a prototype toilet seat made by Native Americans. If I had known I wouldn't see it again on the downclimb I might have carried it to the top to sell on eBay in the collectables section.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Feb 24, 2003 11:45 am 
How about some pics from on top guys! Sheesh, ya gotta BEG for these things or what?!?!? biggrin.gif TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Feb 24, 2003 8:43 pm 
Pictures!
Kaleetan
Kaleetan
Ascent of the Admin
Ascent of the Admin
View East
View East
View to the North
View to the North

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Feb 24, 2003 9:48 pm 
Army Tanks Randy. Any shots of the lakes you saw? TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Feb 24, 2003 10:01 pm 
None from me. I had only a few seconds to shoot pictures before my hands froze, so I kept the lens on the mountains instead of down on the lakes. Tom has a lot of lake picutres I bet. Actually, there weren't all that many lakes visible during the trip.

Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostMon Feb 24, 2003 10:12 pm 
Nice pics! Not a bad ad for MSR. biggrin.gif BW

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 25, 2003 1:09 am 
Finally got around to putting up my pics. As far as lakes go, I only identified Lower Wildcat and Derrick. While we were conversing on the ride home, the other guys said Upper Wildcat was visible but I think they may have been mistaking it for Derrick (or I didn't poke my head between enough trees).

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue Feb 25, 2003 6:19 am 
You are right Tom...I was confusing Lower Wildcat for Upper Wildcat. Thanks for the pictures. Particularly Garfield and East Garfield

polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Feb 25, 2003 8:07 pm 
Quote:
Awesome beard growth!
I believe I have seen that mermaid of the Cascades somewhere before.

Dave Weyrick

Dave Weyrick
PostTue Feb 25, 2003 9:35 pm 
I saw several other Ents in a recent movie... Great pics guys, thanks. Any sign of the old Wildcat Trail on the lower portion of your route?

If I'd known ya was gonna use bait I wouldn't a brought ya!
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 25, 2003 11:19 pm 
Well, I know some of you were hoping for more shots of the lakes so I decided to go back up again today and shoot some more pics. Here's Elbow, Shamrock, Horseshoe, Little Derrick, Derrick, Hatchet, Caroline, Upper Wildcat, Lower Wildcat, and Point 5311', fresh out of the digital oven. biggrin.gif
Elbow, Shamrock, Horseshoe, Little Derrick, Derrick, Hatchet, Caroline, Upper Wildcat, Lower Wildcat, and Point 5311'
9 labels
Elbow, Shamrock, Horseshoe, Little Derrick, Derrick, Hatchet, Caroline, Upper Wildcat, Lower Wildcat, and Point 5311'

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Mar 02, 2003 12:41 pm 
Thomas, are you a pilot and you never told us, or what? MR.! I'd like you to to show me where you can see elbow in that picture Mr.. I see L. Wildcat, U. Wildcat, Caroline, PART of Hatchet, Derrick, KIND of horseshoe, part of Shamrock, and I dont see elbow in there. Ive been to all of them so I have a pretty good perspective of them. TB