Forum Index > Trail Talk > high lakes trivia
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostTue Nov 21, 2017 8:48 pm 
It hardly qualifies as a 'lake' but in late summer there is a bathtub-sized pool of icewater between ice and rock on the summit of Colfax Peak at 9443'. And in 1975 through at least 1976 there was a 150' wide pond in a melted-out hole in Sherman Crater at around 9200'.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostTue Nov 21, 2017 9:11 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Deepest lake is Chelan... Which is in the mountains, what criteria separates "Alpine Lakes" from "Lakes"???
WDFW defines high lakes as lakes that are over 2500' on the west side of the state and over 3500' on the east side of the state.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Nov 22, 2017 8:31 am 
New high lake trivia: Smallest (i.e., lowest volume of water) thing >3500' in WA labeled a "lake" on a USGS 7.5' map. My nomination: Lake Camp Fire Girls, a small snow-melt tarn which peaks in early July (most years) at est. 0.03 acres/3' deep, and dries to a mud flat most years by September or October. Whitebark's pic from late August 2007:
Lake Camp Fire Girls
Lake Camp Fire Girls

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Nov 22, 2017 4:41 pm 
Name the highest lake you have ever backpacked to, and spent the night at, 100% alone. Me: Lower Jean Lake in the Jim Bridger wilderness of Wyoming. 10651 ft.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostWed Nov 22, 2017 8:42 pm 
Slugman wrote:
Name the highest lake you have ever backpacked to, and spent the night at, 100% alone.
Camp Lake, 10,188 ft, Wind Rivers WY, the night before this year's eclipse. Still can't believe I had it all to myself.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Nov 23, 2017 10:17 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
New high lake trivia: Smallest (i.e., lowest volume of water) thing >3500' in WA labeled a "lake" on a USGS 7.5' map. My nomination: Lake Camp Fire Girls, a small snow-melt tarn which peaks in early July (most years) at est. 0.03 acres/3' deep, and dries to a mud flat most years by September or October. Whitebark's pic from late August 2007:
Lake Camp Fire Girls
Lake Camp Fire Girls
Similarly, and I'm not sure the size comparison to Lake Camp Fire Girls, at least 2 times larger, but I've never witnessed any water in Jack Lake just southwest of Horseshoe Lake. Sits at approximately 6,300' elevation. About 200' lower than Lake Camp Fire Girls. If anybody has a image of Jack Lake with water in it, I'd like to see it. Thanks!

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
reststep

reststep
PostThu Nov 23, 2017 5:17 pm 
Slugman wrote:
Name the highest lake you have ever backpacked to, and spent the night at, 100% alone.
The highest one I can think of where I was 100% alone was Lunch Lake in Seven Lakes Basin Olympic National Park, elevation 4475 feet in October one year. Now that I think of it I was not alone. There were a few bears around and I thought I was going to have to change my route in the morning because they were blocking the way but I managed to make it around them. Not near as high of an elevation as yours Slugman. smile.gif

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Nov 23, 2017 5:30 pm 
One of the highest and certainly the coldest I solo camped at was Scatter Lake (7047') when I climbed Abernathy in early October in about 2007 or '08. It dropped to an unseasonably frigid +4 ° F overnight. No others were there at the time. Oops, sort of a thread bomb.. hijacked.gif

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Nov 23, 2017 6:00 pm 
If I limited my answer to WA only, then my number would be much lower of course. 6894 at Fern lake. And the alone thing was partly in jest, tilted in my favor since I so often hike alone. Highest lake I ever backpacked to and spent the night at overall is Chicken Spring lake, 11,242 ft, Golden Trout wilderness south of Mt Whitney. BB, look at the thread title, and then see how the original question has been answered. No hijacking. smile.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Nov 23, 2017 7:32 pm 
Goyko Lakes Cho Oyu base camp about 5000 meters.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
borank
Lake dork

borank
Lake dork
PostFri Nov 24, 2017 8:10 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
New high lake trivia: Smallest (i.e., lowest volume of water) thing >3500' in WA labeled a "lake" on a USGS 7.5' map. My nomination: Lake Camp Fire Girls, a small snow-melt tarn which peaks in early July (most years) at est. 0.03 acres/3' deep, and dries to a mud flat most years by September or October.
Looks like Camp Fire Girls Lake calculates out to .49 acres at full capacity. There are numerous lakes that go dry that are named in the Lakes of Washington books (tabulated in the late '50s & early '60s), but are not named on the USGS quads. Then there are lakes named on the quads that no longer exist, such as Pilot Lk. You can't tell there ever was a lake at that location presently. As for locales that do hold water all summer, I don't know how Carrie Lake gets on the maps. It looks to have been an okay size lake in the past but currently is little more that a meadow with a meandering stream. Being extremely generous in outlining the "lake," it sizes to .31 acre. McGillicuddys Duck Pond measures .21 acre, but it's named a pond, not a lake. It also sits just under 3200 ft, which fits the WDFW parameters for a high lake, but not DIYSteve's posted criteria. Titicaca Lake is little more than a frog pond about 1/3 or less the size shown on the map, sits at about 3850 ft and sizes at .22 acre. It's about as unimpressive a destination as you can aim for.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Nov 27, 2017 1:31 pm 
borank wrote:
Looks like Camp Fire Girls Lake calculates out to .49 acres at full capacity.
What is your calculation method? Okay, so I looked at my notes and giving them a second thought. I recall stepping off 8 x 18 paces (c. 0.03 acres), although sat imagery seems to put max lake size at around 14,000 sq. ft. (1/3 acre). Most years it never gets as big as that at peak and dries to a mud flat by September.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostMon Nov 27, 2017 3:14 pm 
I also got .49 acres when I traced it from a satellite image showing the lake at full pool.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Nov 27, 2017 3:27 pm 
Okay, so let's put it at 0.49 acres full pool. Is there anything else labeled "lake" on a USGS 7.5' or 15' map that is smaller and qualifies as a high lake? Jack Lake? I have walked by, seen or skied over many larger tarns that are not labeled. ETA: borank, re Pilot Lake, I do recall seeing meadows that were labeled as lakes on USGS 7.5' maps.
Bootpathguy wrote:
If anybody has a image of Jack Lake with water in it, I'd like to see it. Thanks!
Satellite imagery shows water in it: linky

yukon222

yukon222
PostMon Nov 27, 2017 4:03 pm 
Section 3 Lake (near Bear Creek Mountain by Rimrock Lake west of Yakima) is pretty tiny. Elevation just over 6,000'