Forum Index > Trail Talk > high lakes trivia
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostMon Nov 27, 2017 5:10 pm 
I think the answer to this question depends on how, exactly, you want to define it. I think we have 3 good candidates (Section 3 is a tiny lake, but the map has it correct so it has more water then these three): Camp Fire Girls: Map size: .3 acre Actual: 0 - .49 acre Pilot: Map size 1.19 acre Actual size 0 acre Jack Lake: Map size 1.3 acre Actual size 0 - .05 acre

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostMon Nov 27, 2017 5:24 pm 
I got to thinking about Section 3 lake some more. At .36 acres it might be a good candidate for smallest named (on the topo) high lake that doesn't dry up.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
borank
Lake dork

borank
Lake dork
PostThu Nov 30, 2017 10:45 am 
Okay, well if you don't like Titicaca or Carrie Lks, another Jack-like lake is Lookout Lk. Probably remains boggy most of the time at under .2ac, but there's another pond immediately adjacent to the NE that looks more permanent. Can't tell from the map whether it was included in the original lake calculation, but the topography would suggest that it might not. It weighs in at .03ac. Then there's Fly Lk - mis-located on the USGS. "Mapfly" lake settles down to about 1/4 ac for most of the summer, but during melt-off might run twice that size.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu Nov 30, 2017 11:48 am 
Nice ones, borank. How had I forgotten about MapFly? That's finally one of these that I've been to.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Nov 30, 2017 11:53 am 
One of the Maloney Lakes had dried up when we were there in 2015????, desiccated cutts on dried cracked mud

borank
Lake dork

borank
Lake dork
PostThu Nov 30, 2017 1:27 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
ETA: borank, re Pilot Lake, I do recall seeing meadows that were labeled as lakes on USGS 7.5' maps.
Yeah, looks like there is a meadow area just below where the lake is supposed to sit. I don't even remember that small patch of green that checks in at a bit over 1/10 ac. The outlet of the lake was supposedly 125 ft ENE of that little meadow area, which is right in the middle of a huge talus field that slopes NW as would be expected, but also has significant slope from ene to wsw, ie down the long axis of the lake. It's hard to imagine a 1.17ac 65ft deep lake in that area. If it was filled in by an earthquake as some oldtimers have said, there would have been 75ft of debris that filled in and then piled up over the lake. Wow!

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu Nov 30, 2017 1:28 pm 
Maloney Meadow Lake is the shallow one that dries down some years. It still had a fair amount of water in late Sep 2015.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Nov 30, 2017 2:15 pm 
Maybe it wasn't 2015. I had assumed 2015 because it was such a dry winter/spring.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Nov 30, 2017 3:41 pm 
In my opinion Pilot Lake is smaller than Camp Fire Lake!!

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Nov 30, 2017 4:31 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
ETA: borank, re Pilot Lake, I do recall seeing meadows that were labeled as lakes on USGS 7.5' maps.
Bootpathguy wrote:
If anybody has a image of Jack Lake with water in it, I'd like to see it. Thanks!
Satellite imagery shows water in it: linky
As you said above, and looking at the sat image, Jack Lake appears to be a meadow with a meandering stream flowing through it. I'm not convinced that, that basin / meadow gets a measurable amount of a standing body of water that lasts more than a few weeks.

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want