Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Database Problems
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Feb 23, 2003 9:54 pm 
Sorry for the problems some of you may be seeing, but my ISP seems to be having intermittent problems with the database server. I've contacted them, but I'm not sure what they're doing about it. If we keep seeing problems, we'll switch servers. Please bear with us. dizzy.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Feb 23, 2003 10:08 pm 
Thank Michael. It seems like the problem often occurs a little after 8 PM and a little after 11 PM. Glad it's not just me that's noticing it.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Feb 23, 2003 10:56 pm 
One of the ISP support people is watching both the forum and the database right now, so hopefully they can find the problem. Thanks, Brad! smile.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Feb 23, 2003 11:07 pm 
The culprit may be the database connections not closing. Have you made any changes to the database connection code for phpbb, Tom? Not an accusation, just wondering if it has changed from the default installation. tongue.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Feb 24, 2003 12:32 am 
There were a couple spots in the code where the db wasn't being closed at the end of the script. I've changed this, but according to the php documentation it shouldn't make any difference...
php.net wrote:
Using mysql_close() isn't usually necessary, as non-persistent open links are automatically closed at the end of the script's execution.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Feb 24, 2003 11:27 pm 
Looks like the database problem has reared its head again. Please hang with us. rant.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu Feb 27, 2003 1:19 am 
We had database problems yet again tonight, and a monster at that. I've switched us over to a new database server, so hopefully we left our headaches behind. If you notice anything strange going on or the board not working correctly, contact either me or Tom. Sorry for the downtime we've had lately. Hopefully it's all cleared up now... huh.gif

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostFri Feb 28, 2003 11:12 pm 
FYI, I couldn't connect with the site with either AOL or IE 5.5 at 10pm tonite- finally got thru at 10:15pm.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSat Mar 01, 2003 12:02 am 
I wasn't online at that time. Anyone else having problems getting here in the evening still?

mb

mb
PostTue Apr 29, 2003 10:15 pm 
I just tried to post (about rounding up a posse), after sucessfully posting wrong answers to chemistry questions, and got this:
Quote:
phpBB : Critical Error Error doing DB query userdata row fetch DEBUG MODE SQL Error : 2013 Lost connection to MySQL server during query SELECT u.*, s.* FROM phpbb_sessions s, phpbb_users u WHERE s.session_id = '5bf8c908700300f84756467756dd3cd0' AND u.user_id = s.session_user_id AND session_time > 1051675937 Line : 248 File : /usr/www/users/caver/www.nwhikers.net/phpbb/includes/sessions.php
Clearly it's working again. (Uh, that sentence makes no sense. It worked a few minutes ago, failed more recently, and is now working again, including a successful attempt to post in the general forum.)

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Apr 29, 2003 10:19 pm 
Yeah, I've been getting these occasionally. I think the server is just real busy.