Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trailhead Vandals Brought to Justice
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 8:16 pm 
Woman linked to park car prowls sentenced By Paula Horton - Daily World Writer Tuesday, August 29, 2006 10:53 AM PDT MONTESANO — In a case linked to a rash of car prowls at park sites, a 24-year-old drug addict from Aberdeen who used a stolen credit card at Wal-Mart and Ross Dress for Less was sentenced to four months in jail Monday. Alisha Crespo pleaded guilty in Grays Harbor Superior Court to second-degree identity theft. The credit card belonged to a woman whose car was broken into at Olympic National Park on June 24. The woman’s purse, identification, checks, cash, camera and cell phone were taken. Michael Pickering, 27, of Aberdeen is suspected of breaking into at least 30 cars that were parked at trailheads at Olympic National Park and Mount Rainier since Memorial Day. Police say he was Crespo’s boyfriend, but she says Crespo was just a friend. “I (saw the credit cards in his car) and said, ‘Oh, are we going shopping?’ I didn’t think nothing of it. I wasn’t thinking period,” Crespo told Judge Gordon Godfrey. Pickering is facing charges of second-degree identity theft and second-degree possession of stolen property. He pleaded “not guilty” to both charges and has a trial set for Oct. 3. At least $10,000 worth of items stolen from the vehicles were found when police searched his Aberdeen home in June. Pickering and Crespo were linked to the stolen credit card through surveillance video at both retail stores, according to court documents. Crespo denied being involved in the vehicle prowls, but court papers say some property taken from the vehicles was found in her mother’s South Aberdeen home, where Crespo also lived. “I was just being stupid, hanging out with stupid people. I apologize for my actions,” Crespo told Judge Godfrey. “I know it was wrong. I know I shouldn’t have been hanging out with him in the first place. Crespo also told the judge that she’s waiting to get into a drug treatment program. She said she wants to get clean for her 2-year-old daughter, who is being raised by relatives in Shelton, and for her mother, who she said is terminally ill. “I’m tired of doing drugs. I’m tired of going the same way I’m going,” she said. “I have a daughter. It’s not fair to her. My mother has less than six months to live. She wanted to see me sober before she does die.” Judge Godfrey said he didn’t believe Crespo’s story about the credit cards. “I’m not that stupid,” he said. “You’re a mother of a 2-year-old child. You’d better start making some choices here. “If you want to do something for your mother, it’s real simple — why don’t you straighten up?” I hope some of the victims will be reunited with their possesions. They catch these people once in awhile, so it's worth filling out a police report.

"Logging encourages the maintenance of foilage by providing economic alternatives to development."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 8:27 pm 
Pickering's victims should turn out for his upcoming trial on October 3 and especially his sentencing, whenever that is (if he's found guilty). In fact, a big contingent of hikers at Pickering's sentencing would make a big statement.

Let me stand next to your fire
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 8:30 pm 
Wow, a whole four months on the states' dime, she sure did get punished.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 8:40 pm 
I was just being stupid, hanging out with stupid people. I apologize for my actions,” Crespo told Judge Godfrey. “I know it was wrong. I know I shouldn’t have been hanging out with him in the first place. shakehead.gif 4 months, how about 10 years, and restitution paid before she can get paroled.

Living in the Anthropocene
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 8:49 pm 
wildernessed wrote:
shakehead.gif 4 months, how about 10 years, and restitution paid before she can get paroled.
I say we do it "old school" Lop off one fingertip, down to the first joint, she picks which one. Think she would do it again?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 8:57 pm 
Really, c'mon. 10 years? Lose a finger? 1-2 years seems more appropriate.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 9:05 pm 
OK Tom, a compromise, gastric lavage, enemas until clear, electroshock therapy daily for 1 month, daily doses of narcan, romazicon, mandatory implantable sustained released antabuse for 2 years and a box of Dr. Phil tapes. hmmm.gif additionlly 5000 hr. of public service on a WTA crew. winksmile.gif

Living in the Anthropocene

Anne Elk
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 9:10 pm 
One or two years for each offense.... yeah. Here's something that bothered me though: "The woman’s purse, identification, checks, cash, camera and cell phone were taken. " Anyone who leaves that kind of stuff in a parked car is asking for it, and is dooming others to break-ins in hope that other people will be as incautious. The victim in this case is also a type of perpetrator, IMO.

Anne Elk
shiznit75
opie wrangler

shiznit75
opie wrangler
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 9:11 pm 
they should have thier pictures published publicly at every trail head

~Lost In Spaz~
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 9:27 pm 
wildernessed wrote:
OK Tom, a compromise, gastric lavage, enemas until clear, electroshock therapy daily for 1 month, daily doses of narcan, romazicon, mandatory implantable sustained released antabuse for 2 years and a box of Dr. Phil tapes. hmmm.gif additionlly 5000 hr. of public service on a WTA crew. winksmile.gif
lol.gif Good stuff Maynard agree.gif

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 11:14 pm 
Slugman wrote:
One or two years for each offense.... yeah. Here's something that bothered me though: "The woman’s purse, identification, checks, cash, camera and cell phone were taken. " Anyone who leaves that kind of stuff in a parked car is asking for it, and is dooming others to break-ins in hope that other people will be as incautious. The victim in this case is also a type of perpetrator, IMO.
I was always taught, as a kid, leave nothing valuable visible in a car. Furthering that, in places of higher crime or higher likelihood of breaking, leave *nothing* of value in a car, period. While I hesitate to go so far as to say the victim is also a type of perpetrator, or is asking for it, it really should be common sense to not leave anything in an unattended, easily entered locale when you'll be known to be gone for hours.

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostThu Aug 31, 2006 6:28 am 
Hearing what the girl had to say was enough to make me want to give her a good ol fashioned ass kicking...talk about a scape goat. She was responsible and it seems that she is trying to blame it all on her drug partner/boyfriend. Excuse me MR. Police officer.. will you punch this girl in the mouth for me?..thank you.

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostThu Aug 31, 2006 8:57 am 
Isn’t it rewarding when someone finally gets caught! Can’t tell for sure if Ms. Crespo plea deal was amended to Identity Theft “Second” Degree or further reduced to “Attempted” Identity Theft Second Degree. I hope it’s the later as she will receive better supervision under the gross misdemeanor attempted ( possibly up to a two year suspended sentence) than the felony that could result in a minimum management unit or reporting monthly to a kiosk display upon release. Be that as it may the Court hopefully imposed additional conditions of no alcohol or drug use and to obtain a substance abuse evaluation and to follow all recommendations as well as the standard conditions on no new criminal violations of the law. If Ms. Crespo fails to comply she will either be back before the Court if a gross misdemeanor or before a Department Of Corrections internal hearing if a felony for additional time imposed. As for this offender’s sob story, heard it hundreds of times, amazing how some criminals find religion not in church but in court.

one small step

one small step
PostThu Aug 31, 2006 10:45 am 
Wouldn't it be kind of cool if they invented something to implant in released meth offenders that would cause them to have explosive diarrhea if they tried to tweak again? I also think a shock collar set to the parks parameters would be effective.

Spotly

Spotly
PostThu Aug 31, 2006 10:51 am 
That's not justice. A few months is never really a few months. She'll be out before her last crack fix wears off. $10k - that's a lot of misery inflicted on members of our community. If that jerks trial was over here, I guarantee I'd make the time to let the prosecutor know my feelings and to show up for sentencing. I'd see it as an obligation.