Forum Index > Trail Talk > Getting there (without the car)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stomp
Terminally Indolent

Stomp
Terminally Indolent
PostWed Feb 26, 2003 7:19 pm 
Some time ago I traded in my internal combustion engine, plush seats, and insurance premiums for a much simpler and less expensive two-wheeled vehicle. Living by bicycle alone has been surprisingly pleasant for the most part. There's just one problem: Getting to trailheads. In addition to slowly going mad from the lack of hiking, I have been seeking alternate methods of reaching trails. I ran across this web site, and my interest has been soundly piqued: Backpacking by Bus Therein lies detailed information on how to reach various interesting locales by public transit. The most convenient of them are Snoqualmie and Stevens pass, and thus the PCT. I'm definitely going to have to give this a whack come summer. Have any of you folks tried it? I would also appreciate any suggestions on how a carless person like myself might get into the woods. Are there any organized ride-sharing programs out there? Any tips on hitchhiking? wink.gif I know I should probably be making use of the Partners board, but posting "Anybody going hiking this weekend? Can I come?" just feels a bit too cheeky.

# Stomp (fifty score key-tapping monkeys)
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Feb 26, 2003 7:52 pm 
I wonder if all these buses have bike carriers on them now.

El Puma

El Puma
PostThu Feb 27, 2003 7:17 am 
You should participate in the "Seeking Hiking Partners" chapter here. I'm sure lots of us going "up there" wouldn't mind at least giving you a ride to the TH if not even hike with you. Your say-so in destinations and the amount of time you'd like to spend would be a bit curtailed, but at least you'd be out there. I wouldn't worry at all about advertising on it! Just mention you're carless and would contribute to the gas fund... (What's the worst thing that could happen anyway - NOTHING!) I admire your complete switchover to the Velo; we have two cars but as I myself ride the bike wherever I can one stays parked most of the time. Family/work situation doesn't allow for complete elimination though. Cheers-

Bus Ted

Bus Ted
PostThu Feb 27, 2003 7:28 am 
Greyhound also services Manning Park. Once I took the trail from Snoqualmie Pass to Manning and bused home from Canada. You might consider joining a group like the Mountaineers who have good carpool systems set up. There is bus service to a few other places like Darrington, Issaquah Alps. Two bus-friendly hiking sources: books by Harvey Manning like the Footsore series, and Bob Driesbach's book "Seattle Outdoors". Most of the buses servicing King and Snohomish counties have bike racks up front, which hopefully have room for your bike! That really extends the possibilities.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Feb 27, 2003 9:19 am 
Here's also an idea. I believe there is bus service to Index--at least I know there is bus service to Goldbar. You can take your bike and daypack to Index via the bus. Get off the bus and take your bike up to Serene Lake trailhead or to Blanca Lake Trailhead (another 10 miles of biking). I recommend a mountain bike though......

Art is an adventure.
Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostThu Feb 27, 2003 10:37 am 
Expanding on Stefan's idea is that there is bus service to Skykomish as well. That puts you within striking distance of Foss, Miller, and Beckler areas. BW

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
Stomp
Terminally Indolent

Stomp
Terminally Indolent
PostThu Feb 27, 2003 7:15 pm 
Stefan wrote:
I believe there is bus service to Index--at least I know there is bus service to Goldbar.
Yep, there is a Community Transit bus out of Everett that goes as far as Gold Bar. I just had a look at the schedule, and I'm having trouble believing my eyes... It appears to run a full schedule now, and even on weekends. Last time I checked it was on a limited schedule aimed squarely at commuters (Unless I am completely insane, which is always a possibility), running Eastbound during the evening commute and Westbound in the morning, and only on weekdays. Thanks for reminding me. This is, like, good and stuff. Bushwhacker, are you sure there is bus service to Skykomish? The Greyhound to Stevens Pass and Leavenworth must pass through there, but I don't think it stops unless you coerce the driver into taking a nicotine break.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Feb 27, 2003 7:18 pm 
I have every June, July, August and most of Sept. off every year. If you need a ride once and a while just ask! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Stomp
Terminally Indolent

Stomp
Terminally Indolent
PostThu Feb 27, 2003 7:36 pm 
Bus Ted wrote:
You might consider joining a group like the Mountaineers who have good carpool systems set up.
Dude. up.gif Precisely the sort of thing I'm looking for. I knew the Mountaineers arranged group hikes, but didn't know they did any organizing of transportation. "Meet at the trailhead at 9:00 AM" is of little help to me, but "Meet at the Eastgate Park & Ride at 9:00 AM" is. agree.gif I'll have to check out their web site as soon as the person who tripped over the mountaineers.org server's ethernet cable gets things going again.

Stomp
Terminally Indolent

Stomp
Terminally Indolent
PostThu Feb 27, 2003 7:40 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I have every June, July, August and most of Sept. off every year. If you need a ride once and a while just ask!
You, sir, are The Man.

Bus Ted

Bus Ted
PostThu Feb 27, 2003 9:14 pm 
Dude, like when you sign up for a Seattle Mutineers trip, you also sign up for, like, carpooling. Then, like, you know your carpel tunnel syndrome partners on, say Friday afternoon. Then, like, you hope they are somewhere within striking distance of your way-cool pad. Suhweeeeeeeet! It ain't sweet they want $52/year now though... but I've had several, like, carless dudes on trips. Gnarly.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Feb 27, 2003 9:52 pm 
Stomp, just dont forget that I offered! It's up to you to tell me when and where. TB biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Quark

Quark
PostThu Feb 27, 2003 11:21 pm 
Flexcar.

Stomp
Terminally Indolent

Stomp
Terminally Indolent
PostFri Feb 28, 2003 7:48 am 
Quark wrote:
Flexcar.
I'm not made of money. smile.gif Seriously, it would be cheaper to rent a car from Dollar than take a Flexcar, even for a nearby short hike. Eight hours and a hundred miles comes to about $70. And don't think that I haven't contemplated renting a car. It would be even cheaper, though, to drop my soloist attitude and buy some gas for a fellow outdoorsman who happens to be going my way. Or who's way I turn out to be going. Either way works.

Quark

Quark
PostFri Feb 28, 2003 5:00 pm 
I'm just throwing suggestions out there, because you asked for them. Flexcar isn't expensive considering those who use it don't have monthly car payments and it's not used on a daily basis. It's something to consider when you get tired of always relying on someone else who may or may not be reliable. You may decide to drift, waffle, change your mind at the last minute. I usually don't make set plans very often - I hike when I want to, and where I want to regardless of whether or not anyone else wants to go.