captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostMon Sep 04, 2006 10:36 am 
Eric wrote:
Quote:
2 Trader Joes Indian meal (sealed in foil): $1.99 each
Excellent choice. I'm partial to: 1.Jaipur Vegetables 2.Pav Bhaji 3.Punjab Eggplant Go full out with some tandoori naan for which a six pack has ~1800 for a reasonable weight. Not light as said but not terrible weight wise and much better tasting than freeze dried _______. Classico pesto plus garlic flavored penne is another good one.
eek.gif You sleep alone in your tent after a meal like that, don't you. agree.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostMon Sep 04, 2006 12:14 pm 
cheap, super-fast, good and filling INGREDIENTS two packages of Idahoan instant mashed potatoes* ($1 each at Fred Meyer) one pouch of tuna ($1 at Fred Meyer) INSTRUCTIONS boil water. drop in mashed potato flakes. mix well. let stand one minute. add tuna. eat. mmm** total meal price: $3 *so far I've tried four flavours, and they were all good ** some meals are best enjoyed outdoors. I wouldn't think of eating this unless I was out for a hike for a whole day beforehand.

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Sep 04, 2006 1:03 pm 
Kleet introduced me to the mashed potato / tuna concoction. I agree, that's mighty good eating. But nothing I would have come up with on my own.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostMon Sep 04, 2006 4:07 pm 
Or mashed potatoes with a can/pouch of chicken added.

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Sep 04, 2006 4:16 pm 
actionbetty wrote:
Or mashed potatoes with a can/pouch of chicken added.
4 Cheese style taters (in the packet) with half a packet of crumbled shelf stable bacon (about 1 1/2 ounces), dried chives, granulated garlic added. Freeze dried corn is also good to add in (1/4 cup). A favorite of mine: Mountain Spaghetti: In a quart freezer bag put: 1 block ramen or choka soba noodles In a small zip bag put: 1 Tbl dried parsley 1/2 tsp granulated garlic 1 Tbl Italian herb seasoning ¼ cup parmesan cheese Also take 2 packets or 2 Tbl olive oil Pour 1 1/2 cups boiling water over the ramen, seal bag, rotate bag till ramen softens. Put in a cozy for 10 minutes. Drain. Add olive oil and toss. Add in spices and cheese and toss again. Serves 1 (You can get packets of oil from Minimus.biz) One of my other favorite meals to eat back when I could eat a lot of salt: Chicken & Cranberry Gravy with Mashed Potatoes: In a quart freezer bag put: 1 cup instant mashed potatoes 1 tsp salt Fresh ground black pepper, to taste 1 tsp dried chives In a second freezer bag put: 1 pouch chicken gravy mix (the add 1 cup water type) 1/2 cup Craisins 7 oz foil pouch of chicken. In camp add 1 cup boiling water to the potatoes, stir well. Add 1 cup boiling water to the gravy mix, stir well, add chicken. Let sit in a cozy for 5 minutes. Stir again, pour over potatoes and eat! Serves 2. (Yeah, as noted this recipe is not low in sodium. But it is darn good wink.gif ) One I eat a lot of: Cranberry Chicken Rice: In a quart freezer bag put: 1 cup instant rice 1 Tsp. Chicken bullion (low sodium) 1/4 Tsp. salt, if desired 1/2 Tsp. granulated garlic 1 Tsp. Parsley 1 Tsp. Dried Onion 2 Tbl. Dried veggie flakes or freeze dried mixed vegetables 2 Tbl.+2 Tsp. Craisins Put all items in a quart freezer bag. Also take a 3-5 oz. can of chicken with you. In camp put the chicken and it's liquid into the freezer bag, and 1 1/4 cups boiling water. Stir well and put into a cozy for 10 minutes. This is great with 2 cups water as a soup. Serves 1. The above recipes are from my website smile.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostMon Sep 04, 2006 4:18 pm 
mmm, chicken sounds good too I was eating Lipton Sides (also known as Sidekicks in Canada) for years during camping backpacking trips, and just got tired of eating that stuff (although they have well over 20 flavours by now) the mashed potatoes cook up very quick, and offer instant energy. Lipton sides also has quick rice, which is also a welcome change from the usual pasta that I've been eating. Keep the ideas coming, please! A good meal at the end of the hiking day is just as morale-boosting as a lovely sunset or a warm sleeping bag smile.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Sep 04, 2006 4:26 pm 
seawallrunner wrote:
Keep the ideas coming, please! A good meal at the end of the hiking day is just as morale-boosting as a lovely sunset or a warm sleeping bag smile.gif
I am taking the new wild salmon steaks in the foil pouches next weekend with me - it is an orange sauce. I am making in a freezer bag an instant rice pilaf (with freeze dried veggies), and I'll put the pouch of salmon under the bag in the cozy, then serve the steak over the rice. Yum! (I also set the foil pouches on top of my Primus tea kettle while it boils the water, helps warm it up) For breakfast the next day I am going to try a new recipe that has dried black beans in it (think a salsa rice with beans and veggies, and lots of cheese) Hopefully it turns out wink.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
justybug
henteaser

justybug
henteaser
PostMon Sep 04, 2006 11:19 pm 
i am sold on those idahoan potatoes. they seem to mix really thoroughly, and work great with one of those packs of chicken, or whatever else..

kenya believe it?? "Time is so everything doesn't happen at once. Space is so everything doesn't happen to you."
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Sep 04, 2006 11:43 pm 
captain jack wrote:
You sleep alone in your tent after a meal like that, don't you.
shakehead.gif hijacked.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
billiam
I kill mosquitos

billiam
I kill mosquitos
PostSun Sep 17, 2006 10:47 am 
Ramen goodness...I enjoy the Mi Goreng. Indonesian instant noodles with 5, yes 5, flavoring packets (chile, oil, peanut paste, and ubiquitous powder). And, praise Allah, it's halal! uwajimaya has it.

Spotly

Spotly
PostSun Sep 17, 2006 11:00 am 
Tater flakes with the soy bacon, pepper and butter flakes premixed. Just add hot water and mmmmm! Light weight and very tastey! Eat em right from the baggie too.

Ed the Biped

Ed the Biped
PostSun Sep 17, 2006 12:51 pm 
Instant mashed potatoes rock! They're infinitely versatile. I like mixing it with dehydrated milk, butter buds, seasonsing salt, instant sweet corn chowder and a big dollop of hot sauce. Another good one is mixing hot chocolate mix with oatmeal. Ramen packets are great too. Line the outside of your food bag with ramen and they work as shock absorbers to protect more fragile foods on the inside.

I made my bed in a nook of the pine thicket - snug as a squirrel's nest, full of spicy odors with planty of wind-played needles to sing me asleep. - John Muir
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSun Sep 17, 2006 8:25 pm 
mmm, I love the ideas in this thread. No more Sides for me (ok, as soon as the five remaining packages in my cupboard get used up) Here's another quick food idea. I bought some instant couscous at my local grocery this weekend, we tried this at the beach last night (with salmon steaks) Couscous recipe on the box: boil 2 cups of water. Drop contents of the couscous package into boiling water, turn off heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Eat. There are several flavors available - plain, lemon and garlic, oil and garlic, and a few others. Couscous is just cracked wheat (or bulghur). Tastes great, it's filling, and just like the Sides, or the rice, or the mashed potatoes, it goes great with fish, or chicken, or pan-fried spam smile.gif

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostMon Sep 18, 2006 10:46 am 
Breakfast from my last hike: Idahoan cheddar spuds Margarine pack from KFC Pack of pre-cooked bacon (I love this stuff!) Cook the taters, then fry them in the margarine until they brown on the bottom. Flip them, then add bacon on top to warm while the other side browns. Good eatin'. Not a big fan of cous cous...

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostMon Sep 18, 2006 12:27 pm 
mmm tortillas! great lunch fare, but a bit heavy to carry. We like to take a couple of flavored tuna tins with us for lunch, and roll the tuna into wraps for a nice tasty lunch. flour tortillas - plain, sundried tomato or spinach - and flavored tuna are a great match.