Forum Index > Trip Reports > Upper Ice Lake / Mt. Maude
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
motsies

motsies
PostTue Sep 05, 2006 6:31 pm 
After a six week layoff from backpacking, perhaps a 4,000'+ vertical hike to camp wasn't the best choice for my legs, but as w/ all hikes, the reward always trumps the effort. I carried a little extra weight as well w/ a bear container (few trees) and my trusty SLR/tripod. The time away also brought some rustiness to my packing skills (and memory) as I forgot my poles (and layers of duck tape) and my camelbak (only had one nalgene). And thanks to two friendly fishermen, I was saved w/ spare matches after discovering my hand sanitizer had exploded and ruined my only lighter!!! The climb up Leroy Creek is steep and the traverse below Mt. Maude has a few tricky spots across the big washout and bushwhacking through the trees; approximately 6.5 hours to Upper Ice Lake I think, though I was so tired I didn't remember to look. Slept well and had a lazy Sunday morning before heading up Mt. Maude (2 hours). The Tinpan fire was blowing smoke to the north making for hazy skies and blocking views to the north, though I never could really smell it. Relaxed on the summit before heading down for a quick (and cold) swim. Another group there was braver than I as they were jumping on some of the rocks. Fishing looked great too for those that were trying. Up and out Monday morning in about 4.5 hours as the thighs were burning!! Saddle at 7,300'
Moon rise Saturday night
Valley smoke in the morning sun
Campsite view
Smoke views from Mt. Maude summit
Summit shot w/ Glacier Peak
Upper Ice Lake
Mt. Maude ridgeline from 7,600' saddle

Find your place on the planet. Dig in, and take responsibility from there - Gary Snyder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Sep 05, 2006 6:48 pm 
Nice, I have been wondering about the smoke / haze with that trip. Thanks up.gif up.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Sep 05, 2006 6:58 pm 
we were over at Lyman Lakes (not crowded at all!), and the smoke wasn't bad there; but from the bottom of the valley at Spider Meadows - all the way up to the camps at Larch Knob the smoke was hanging in that valley quite thick. My breathing was plugged up last night because of it -I had to get up in the middle of the night & do a salt-water spray - and I only spent Friday night at the hazy Knob, then sat around there for only about 2 hours yesterday. It was pretty thick there. Lots of folks headed over to Holden (I met an ex-co worker at Spider Gap!). I bet they got tons of smoke. Nice pics from your trip. I looked up there and thought, man, I'm glad I'm not on the High Route this year - too hot and smokey.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Elliott Haybaler

Elliott Haybaler
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 7:54 am 
What a great trip report! Wonderful photos!

TrailPair

TrailPair
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 9:09 am 
It is a beautiful area...even with all the smokey haze. We are considering a hike to Leroy Basin with a scramble to 7 Finger Jack for a Fall hike. Is there water at Leroy Basin?

This thing called work is interfering with my play
wolfs

wolfs
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 10:12 am 
Water @ Leroy Basin seems quite reliable. I have been there in early Oct and late Sept and creek is still flowing strong.