Forum Index > Trip Reports > Persindex
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostTue Sep 05, 2006 11:14 pm 
September 5, 2006 Destination: Persindex (Peak 5360+) Well, my initial plan was to scramble Baring, but as I was driving up to Barclay Lake a truck comes burling down the road. The driver tells me they are going to be closing the road for maintenance. Bummer, what to do? I decided to go pay a visit to Persindex. This little peak lies about halfway on the Persis / Index ridge. I remember there was a report on this peak by Stefan, and he had mentioned going straight up. I, however, forgot that he also mentioned the BRUSH. I also remember as a kid looking up this basin, hmmm, why not give it a go and see how it is. I drove past the turn off for the Persis trailhead. At the horseshoe shaped curve I parked where an old road branches off and heads east into the basin. The hike wasn’t bad up the old road. After leaving the road the going became steadily worse. The brush was terrible and of the worse kind, thorny and unpleasant. I wanted to retreat, but I had already spent a good deal of time pushing through. I continued and needless to say I got pretty scratched up. I did, occasionally, find dry streambeds to scramble up. Anyway, I eventually made it to the alpine and was rid of the brush. I managed to reach the summit in 2:45, not bad. The views were pretty hazy, and I decided to take a little rest to see if things would change. One hour later I decided to get up. It was beginning to get warm. I took some pics and explored a bit. Ok, I needed to head back, but how? I knew that I didn’t want to go through the brush again. I contemplated going over to Persis, but eventually settled on heading for the road high on the connecting ridge to the southwest. I could see the road and figured this was a shorter route. I passed some lovely tarns on the way. There are bunches of tarns up here. I traversed the south side of the ridge and came to a cliff. Here, I dropped steeply toward a 4800+ saddle (0.5miles southwest of the summit). I descended a nice gully (obvious on map) to talus fields on the north side of the ridge and began traversing below the impressive cliffs. The talus fields run almost to the road. The road is slightly overgrown but not bothersome, and I quickly made it to the car. Well, another interesting exploration completed. Notes: Trip time 7hrs. Down time was 2:30. After the horseshoe shaped curve one can drive the road about another .25 - .5 miles.
tree
tree
persis
persis
peaks
peaks
index
index
traverse talus fields on the north side of the ridge, note the road
traverse talus fields on the north side of the ridge, note the road
basin from road on hike down
basin from road on hike down
tarn
tarn

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Oren
Grampa Murphy

Oren
Grampa Murphy
PostSat Sep 09, 2006 5:22 pm 
Just noticed the TR. This picture was taken from Persis as I was doing the Persis-Index traverse. Mostly for beta.
view from Persis enroute to Index
view from Persis enroute to Index
By your description would Persindex be the high point in the picture left of the saddle in the middle? There are some beautiful tarns in that area. I heard someone refer to one of the pictures of a tarn they posted as " the perfect place". I really enjoyed that scramble, but it was a long day. I fiddle-farted around on both the summits and at the tarns. I need to get Merchant done so I can complete my list for that group. Persis, Index, Baring and Gunn. Did they say how long the road would be closed?

Long since I've been amongst majestic peaks nor side mirrored lakes where awe so speaks. Blanketed valleys the dawn awakes and blinking stars to fade. My soul is called to see these things, the Hand of God has made.
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostSun Sep 10, 2006 1:23 am 
Oren, I think you are right with the location in the picture. Just in case though, here it is on topo(Persindex). Yes, there are some nice tarns up there. It is a nice place to wonder around in. I think the road to Barclay Lake should have re-opened by now.

Fred_Beavon

Fred_Beavon
PostSun Sep 10, 2006 5:28 pm 
My condolences with the brush. On the return, after doing the ridge to Index from Persis, I didn't feel like redoing Persis, so I went down the way you went up. The road below looked so close and it seemed like a quick route down at the time, but what a big mistake that turned out to be! I, also, was in a very narrow dry creek bed for part of the way, until a stream and cliffs appeared. The brush WAS bad, and I wished I'd followed my route back over Persis.

Oren
Grampa Murphy

Oren
Grampa Murphy
PostTue Sep 12, 2006 5:24 pm 
Fred_Beavon wrote:
The road below looked so close and it seemed like a quick route down at the time, but what a big mistake that turned out to be!
Thats one I think a lot of us have done. It would seem after the first few times we would learn but..... The know route is usually the best route. However, it is a learning experience and some of that off route stuff is way cool even when we come out looking like we'd just rassled with big cat.

Long since I've been amongst majestic peaks nor side mirrored lakes where awe so speaks. Blanketed valleys the dawn awakes and blinking stars to fade. My soul is called to see these things, the Hand of God has made.