Forum Index > Gear Talk > REI garage sale strategy....
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
justybug
henteaser

justybug
henteaser
PostFri Sep 15, 2006 6:23 pm 
so the tacoma one is tomorrow. any suggestions on plans of attack? are they just complete madhouses? i just went on a ridiculous gear binge, so i'm actually not in NEED of anything right now, but i'm going just the same.. lol.gif (all those pesky wants!) i've heard people just swoop through grabbing stuff, then sorting it after they can't carry anymore.. are there certain departments that get discounted more than others? what kinds of scores have you managed to find at any of them? thanks in advance..

kenya believe it?? "Time is so everything doesn't happen at once. Space is so everything doesn't happen to you."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Sep 15, 2006 7:24 pm 
Tons of buys in the past I have scored wink.gif For me, I just wander thru after the pawers have gone thru. Sometimes I'll get in the middle of it at the start, but too crowded! Last month or so, I scored a as-new REI Zigzag sleeping bag for Ford for around $24. ($99 new). I have acquired stuff like a SD down vest for $10, new (from a photo shoot) at the Tukwila store couple months ago. And I have found great buys on shoes/clothes. But you defintely have to sift thru the crap. And some stores do a 1/2 price markdown on sundays. And give you 10% off if you are a member. Woo-hoo!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
scm007

scm007
PostFri Sep 15, 2006 9:00 pm 
Be the first in line and grab as much stuff off the racks as you can, take it to the corner and look through it.

mtnwkr

mtnwkr
PostSat Sep 16, 2006 12:00 am 
rei elements bivy-20 bucks rei travel down bag-10 bucks rei travel down pillow-3 bucks kayak spray skirt- 10 bucks kelty dart 2 tent- 12 bucks lots of shoes and boots- cheap marmot precip-20 bucks leki treking poles- 15 bucks big aggie insulated pad-12 bucks this list could go on forever.. i love the deals at the g-sales!

There's a mostly unspoken acknowledgment among the voluntarily impoverished that it's better to be fiscally poor yet rich in experience-living the dream-than to be traditionally wealthy but live separate from one's passions.
mtnwkr

mtnwkr
PostSat Sep 16, 2006 12:01 am 
scm007 wrote:
Be the first in line and grab as much stuff off the racks as you can, take it to the corner and look through it.
Also look for the cast off piles in the corners...

There's a mostly unspoken acknowledgment among the voluntarily impoverished that it's better to be fiscally poor yet rich in experience-living the dream-than to be traditionally wealthy but live separate from one's passions.
justybug
henteaser

justybug
henteaser
PostSat Sep 16, 2006 8:59 am 
apparently a much earlier start is a bonus too!! the line was ridiculous at quarter to nine (which i expected, just not that long!) so i'll head back out in awhile and see what's not completely picked over..

kenya believe it?? "Time is so everything doesn't happen at once. Space is so everything doesn't happen to you."
justybug
henteaser

justybug
henteaser
PostSat Sep 16, 2006 5:53 pm 
didn't do too bad, picked up some asolo fugitives for 50 bucks, brand shiny new... it was still pretty grabby after a couple of hours, i'm kinda glad i waited.

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostMon Sep 18, 2006 4:43 pm 
scm007 wrote:
Reasons like this are why I don't go to the garage sales!!

FearM9

FearM9
PostThu Sep 21, 2006 2:05 pm 
<--- Starting his 10th year working parttime and worked all the Garage Sales..... Everyone pretty much gave you right tips. If you get there late, alot of the "good" stuff has been picked through and probably bought, but every now and then you can find a gem or two or three. Anything that is labeled with a white tag and says "SEA" means it's from Seattle and is brand spanking new. This stuff has usually been used for photo shoots or is a sample from the manufacturer. You can find some real steals with those.

Nisquaww
Hot balls

Nisquaww
Hot balls
PostThu Sep 21, 2006 2:59 pm 
The gargage sale area at Tacoma is pretty tight and cozy. I reccomend a good elbow throwing here and there along with the take-big-pile-of-stuff-to-corner method. I like to fill a backpack or a cooler and find a nice quiet little corner...with a watchful eye over my shoulder of course. Gotta be rough and tough if ya wanna survive in this here land of the lawless. martial.gif

"Why do you have a beard?" "I don't have a beard. It's just the light; it plays funny tricks." ~ Shel Silverstein