Forum Index > Trip Reports > Goat Rocks - w/ Pics
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mount Logan
Canada's Highest

Mount Logan
Canada's Highest
PostSat Sep 09, 2006 11:42 pm 
I left the Berry Patch trailhead on Saturday afternoon. Snowgrass was crowded (as expected) so I continued on to the PCT and turned north up to Old Snowy Pass. From there I made the scramble up to the top of Old Snowy and set up a bivouac in time for the sunset. The wind blew hard all night, rotoring over the rocks and kicking up a lot of dust. I awoke the next morning with a layer of grit all over me and my gear. I retraced my steps back to Snowgrass and followed the Lily Basin trail to Goat Lake. There were tons of folks there as well, but I was desperate to wash the grit off so I walked around to the deserted north end and took a quick skinny dip away from ogling eyes. Several goats could be seen on the slopes above the lake near Hawkeye Point. On the walk back around the lake I came across a plastic worm and sinker on the shoreline. I was surprised to see this since my understanding is that there are no fish in Goat Lake. Does anyone know if this is the case? From Goat Lake I continued NW on the Lily Basin trail. I spotted a blacktail doe about 100 yards off the trail and was watching it when a buck with huge antlers (maybe 4+ point?) emerged from the trees. I camped on Sunday night near Heart Lake (much more solitude--and much warmer for swimming too!). Monday morning, on the way back to the Goat Ridge trail, I made the side trip up to the old fire lookout site on Hawkeye Point. Then it was back out to the trailhead and a beeline for Scaleburgers in Elbe for an Overload and blackberry shake. Bottom line: Virtually no bugs; still warm at night; no solitude unless you venture off the main loop; awesome scenery and wildlife!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tazz

Tazz
PostSat Sep 09, 2006 11:51 pm 
ILOVE the butterflies very nice. The Goats.. ROCK! good work!

hikermike

hikermike
PostTue Sep 12, 2006 12:36 am 
Ah to be young and able to sleep on rocks again!

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostTue Sep 12, 2006 5:17 am 
Terrific pics. Reminds me I need to get into that area to climb Gilbert. up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160