Forum Index > Trip Reports > Big Snow Mtn - 9.10.2006
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostMon Sep 11, 2006 11:25 pm 
larman and rodman joined me on this hike... larman and I did the hike 11 years ago... and with the road closing at Dingford Creek in November, we wanted to show rodman this infamous road and the beauty at the end of the road that makes the drive worthwhile. Trailhead: Drive the Middle Fork Snoqualmie road 12.2 miles from the 90 degree turn in the road that takes you to Goldmeir Hot Springs and the Hester/Mrytle trailhead... the unsigned trail starts on the left side of the road with room for 8 to 10 cars on the right side of the road... if you get to the end of the road at 12.7 miles, turn around and drive back down the road for a half mile. Rain showers on Friday and Saturday cleared the sky to give us nice views in all directions... distant peaks and mountains included the Olympics to the west, Baker and Glacier Peak to the north, and Adams and Rainier to the south... closer-in mountains and peaks included Hinman, Daniel, Bears Breast, Summit Chief, Overcoat, Chimney Rock, Lemah, Chikamin, Burnt Boot, Hibox, Huckleberry, Snoqualmie, Chair, Kaleetan, Roosevelt, Garfield, Camp Robber, Wild Goat, Tourmaline, Malachite, Bald Eagle, Silver Eagle, and Iron Cap. 9 miles roundtrip... gaining 4013 feet of elevation to the 6680' summit of Big Snow... it's a tough 9 miles because a person can rarely relax unless they stop walking... there is a lot of talus and boulder work on this hike and the trail/boot path that does exist is in marginal condition at best... the trickiest portion of route finding for us was getting from the north end of Upper Hard Scrabble Lake to the 5800 foot pass northwest of the lake... the trees have grown quite a bit in the last 11 years and now they block your view of the pass when you first arrive at the lake... on our return trip we realized that if you walk a short distance around the southern shore line of Upper Hard Scrabble, you can see the pass. The hike is basically Class 2... if you find it necessary to climb much with your hands, find a better route. Allow 2 hours to get from Ken's Truck Stop in North Bend to the trailhead. GPS route and pictures from the Big Snow Mtn hike ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostTue Sep 12, 2006 7:10 pm 
Thank you for the grand excursion at Big Snow
I sat here reviewing the photos, utterly gripped to my chair. What an exciting hike/climb!

Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostWed Sep 13, 2006 1:08 pm 
Thanks for the detailed photos and GPS route; the pics are amazing. I considered doing this hike before the gate closed - now I'm really psyched; just have to set aside a full day with some sunshine.

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.

PostWed Sep 13, 2006 6:55 pm 
This is the best documented and photographed TR on Big Snow Mtn that I have ever read. rocker.gif Great job and, like Sabahsboy, I loved the photos. Not only were they pretty, but they did a great job showing what the hike was like for those of us that have never been there. Very impressive! cheers.gif

Life is short, hike hard...