Forum Index > Trip Reports > Colchuck Lake 9-09-06
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostTue Sep 12, 2006 6:49 pm 
Camping at Eightmile set me up perfect to hike up to Colchuck Saturday morning. After a great feast of flapjacks and eggs and bacon we arrived at the trailhead at 11:00am. The lot of pretty full of cars but we saw only a few the whole time on the trail. This was my first time in the area and I fell in love with it right away. As I assume most here know the trail pretty well so I will spare those details. The weather was great, sunny skies and a light breeze made this a great day for a hike. The creek was flowing pretty good with a steady flow of liquid gold.
Colchuck 008
Colchuck 008
Colchuck 001
Colchuck 001
I was amazed at how clear the water was. I wanted to just lay in the creek, but I didn't, too cold. We got up to a good vantage point looking towards the east and had great views.
Colchuck 005
Colchuck 005
We got to the lake and I was in love!!! The views are awesome there. Asgard Pass and the Dragonstail were so pretty, and steep!!
Colchuck 003
Colchuck 003
Colchuck 002
Colchuck 002
WE hung out next to the lake and soaked up the sun for about 45 minutes then made our way back down to the car. On the way down we noticed a doe and her fawn as they crossed the trail. By the time I got my camera out they were walking through the trees.
Colchuck 007
Colchuck 007
It was a great day to hike somewhere new.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostWed Sep 13, 2006 12:02 pm 
Welcome to the Colchuck Lake lovers club. I hike it every year. The color of the lake and the view of Colchuck and Dragontail Peaks in the background is the perfect alpine view. I never get tired of it and will be hiking it again next June. Now you need to see the rest of the area, that'll really get you addicted. biggrin.gif Nice pics and TR. up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
LizzyBob

LizzyBob
PostWed Sep 13, 2006 5:41 pm 
Very nice! Colchuck was my first backpack ever way back in 1977. I'm looking forward to heading back up there next weekend.

"Diamonds are a girl's best friend my arse. A girl's best friend is a stout pair of tramping boots. Umm, maybe it's a nice reduction sauce. Urrr, perhaps it's a nice pub just down the road. OK, so it's really all three. But freakin' diamonds?!"