Forum Index > Trail Talk > Drinking the water at Twin Lakes (Monte Cristo)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 3:08 pm 
and that is why I burden my back with one of these: even viruses when I travel with my wife or in popular areas. Alone I can gather from side streams and feel pretty good about it with a Sawyer.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jul 29, 2020 4:57 pm 
There was also mercury contamination downstream of Monte Cristo spoke with someone using a small dredge there and they said any gold found was amalgamated as the old concentrator used mercury in the process. Do not know if superfund cleared that up. And yes the Monte Cristo ores were heavily Arsenical a special smelter had to be built in Everett to handle them later moved to Ruston.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
D.B. Cooper

D.B. Cooper
PostSun Aug 16, 2020 10:02 pm 
Let's keep this 14 yo thread alive. Been many years since I've been to Monte Cristo but thinking of taking another visit soon. There's so many documents about MC online and the scientific documents throw out a lot of info and numbers but I don't see anything that says, "The water from X is safe to drink". Someone mentioned that Silver Lake is unsafe. Not really sure why that is since I don't believe there were any mine workings in that area. However, some of the heavy metal occurrence in the area would be there even if no mining had occurred. Perhaps that is the case with Silver Lake. I couldn't find any sampling data for any of the lakes in the area except for Monte Cristo Lake. Definitely don't drink that water! I think one useful tidbit of information is which lakes the WDFW stocks with fish. WDFW does not stock Silver Lake which makes me think the water is unsafe. Both of the Twin Lakes are stocked (Rainbow and Brook) so that makes me think the water is safe. Also, the small Cultus Lake located just NE of Silver Lake is also stocked with Rainbow Trout. This is interesting to me since the lake is very close to the two adits of the O&B Mine.

Washakie

Washakie
PostMon Aug 17, 2020 12:30 am 
In this day and age with the options available for purification, I have difficulty understanding why anyone would risk drinking untreated/unfiltered/unboiled water when hiking or camping. I am past retirement age and have hiked and backpacked in the Sierras, Cascades, Rockies, Andes, and desert southwest without a problem...and I have always either filtered, treated, or boiled water when doing so since my late teens. Back when I was younger, I would hook a cup to my belt and drink from a flowing streams in the Sierras. Never even thought of purification. Times change don't they. Also, my wife and I just finished spraying and wiping groceries delivered from the market. What's next?

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Aug 17, 2020 6:09 am 
that's way beyond norm