Forum Index > Trail Talk > Times article-Parks employees working OT due to crowds
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
stever

stever
PostFri Aug 14, 2020 9:36 am 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostFri Aug 14, 2020 9:45 am 
"In the first week of August, one of her rangers counted 999 people on a single Saturday at Colchuck Lake, while other workers buried 200 piles of poop...." Yikes.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Aug 14, 2020 10:51 am 
take a deep breath or did you really think this heat wave was going to last forever? dizzy.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Aug 14, 2020 10:59 am 
rbuzby wrote:
In the first week of August, one of her rangers counted 999 people
What, they only count visitors for 20 minutes? wink.gif

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri Aug 14, 2020 1:52 pm 
with so many folks supposedly unemployed or furloughed why are the weekends still swarmed? Habit? I'm glad they all run out at the same time and to the same places. Makes it easier for me to find some solitude and garbage free hikes at other times and other locations.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostFri Aug 14, 2020 8:26 pm 
So are 1 in 5 people who hike to Colchuck Lake unable to make the trip without pooping? Or is that several days worth of accumulation? We need more data.

HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostFri Aug 14, 2020 9:46 pm 
ONLY 999? Last year USFS volunteers counted nearly 2,000 on Snow Lake (Snoqualmie Pass version) on one day... This year we Mt Baker-Snoqualmie volunteers are sitting on the sidelines-- Forest management has decided they can't take the risk of putting volunteers out on the trail and then have to deal with liabilities of one of us getting COVID-19. So as a result, there are not many eyes or uniforms out in the woods right now. Went up to Summit Lake last week and counted 11 new firepits in a lake where fires are prohibited-- and collected a full large bag of garbage. Not sure why people can't behave when the officials are not watching, but it seems to be getting worse!

80skeys

80skeys
PostSun Aug 16, 2020 9:31 am 
coldrain108 wrote:
I'm glad they all run out at the same time and to the same places. Makes it easier for me to find some solitude and garbage free hikes at other times and other locations.
I'm with you on this. That's why I plan most of my vacations during the weekdays (not weekends), and often I will deliberately plan an outing immediately after a major holiday, after everyone has returned home. At least the herd of humans are predictable in that they always try to exert the minimum effort they can. I read once that 99.9% of visitors to Yellowstone never venture more than a couple hundred yards off the main road, leaving the vast majority of the Park untouched. Thank goodness for that. I'll be finding out in a few weeks how bad the crowds are, as I'll be going backpacking in Olympic National Park (my first time in that area). At least there, I guess, there's a quota system of how many people can be in the Park at any given time.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Aug 16, 2020 11:06 am 
80skeys wrote:
"I read once that 99.9% of visitors to Yellowstone never venture more than a couple hundred yards off the main road..."
According to NPS's own numbers, 90% of National Park Service visitation is what is referred to as "windshield tourism" - people who never venture more than a couple hundred yards from their automobiles. Historically, that appears to have always been the case. The tone of your comment sounds like you think there's something inherently wrong with that, which is a subjective judgement call on your part. If people choose to stay in (or close to) their automobiles, and you are off on some backcountry trail away from the crowds, why would you care? How does other people choosing to use (and remain close to) their automobiles negatively affect your "wilderness experience"?
80skeys wrote:
"...Olympic National Park (my first time in that area). At least there, I guess, there's a quota system of how many people can be in the Park at any given time...."
The "quota system" at Olympic National Park exists only in a few areas, like the Seven Lakes Basin area. Most of Olympic National Park doesn't have any kind of "quota system".

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Aug 16, 2020 11:10 am 
80skeys wrote:
At least the herd of humans are predictable in that they always try to exert the minimum effort they can.
When I go hiking, I drive to the trail instead of walking there. You too? Guess we're part of the herd.

80skeys

80skeys
PostSun Aug 16, 2020 11:27 am 
Ski wrote:
If people choose to stay in (or close to) their automobiles, and you are off on some backcountry trail away from the crowds, why would you care?
I'm glad 99% of visitors stay close to their automobiles. It's way better than them trampling all over the forests, littering and not respecting the wilderness. Plus I prefer not to see other people when I'm out in the mountains, so I'm glad most people are too lazy to leave their cars. It would totally suck if those millions of National Park visitors were spread out all over those parks, in every nook and cranny. If that were to happen you can say goodbye to any pristine mountains that might currently exist in the continental U.S.

80skeys

80skeys
PostSun Aug 16, 2020 11:32 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
When I go hiking, I drive to the trail instead of walking there. You too? Guess we're part of the herd.
Lol. The herd doesn't leave their car to step foot on the trail. That's the difference.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Aug 16, 2020 11:46 am 
^ The reality is that there really isn't any shortage of wild, remote space within either the National Park Service or U.S. Forest Service or Bureau of Lands Management administered public lands. The majority of visitors simply choose to go to the most popular destination sites, resulting in concentrations of visitors and higher user loads in some areas. But back to the subject at hand: The article concerns the seemingly unprecedented increase in visitation numbers on public lands. Unfortunately the author is all over the map, perhaps confused as to which administrative agency manages which lands. (Of course, it could simply be the case that whoever set the title for the article simply wasn't paying attention, which is often the case with "news" headlines.) Although I'm sure it looks to some here (and doubtless WTA and WHC Facebook members) like this is the onset of some sort of apocalypse, the reality is (as I tried to point out above) that this is going to be a short-lived surge in visitation which will most likely come crashing to a halt as soon as the weather changes and the monsoon season arrives in a few very short weeks. In the meantime, there are a great many people visiting the outdoors who may never have done so in the past. I do not see how that is a bad thing. If you read through the "comments" section below the article, you'll see mentioned the perceived avoidance of local public municipal parks (which may or may not be true) because of the increase in homeless encampments at local parks. It's possible - although the commenter's claims are not backed with any data, nor would there be any way to accurately quantify what, if any, impact that may have had - that there's some degree of truth to those statements. Moreover, as millions of Americans have been laid off due to the Covid-19 virus, what exactly would you have them do? Sit idle at home watching "The Simpsons" on television or playing video games? As has been mentioned here in a couple other threads, the amount of bitching and whining here that we're seeing currently is usually limited to those few months during the winter when the weather is lousy enough to keep most of us home. I'm actually a bit put off by all of the "me me me me me me" pissing and moaning because other people have chosen to visit public lands.

80skeys

80skeys
PostSun Aug 16, 2020 11:55 am 
Ski wrote:
In the meantime, there are a great many people visiting the outdoors who may never have done so in the past. I do not see how that is a bad thing.
It's completely fine as long as they're respectful - to the land, to the animals, to other people. That's my main beef.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Aug 16, 2020 12:02 pm 
okay. so suggest some constructive solutions. anybody can bitch.