Forum Index > Trail Talk > Backpacking suggestion for this weekend
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
churchill1979

churchill1979
PostWed Jun 17, 2009 9:45 am 
Anyone have a suggestion for a backpacking trail that is accessible for this weekend, June 20th at this time of year? Looking for something that is 3-4 miles one-way and easy enough for beginner backpackers - trying to get the girlfriend into the outdoors lifestyle! Gonna be a challenge nonetheless so hopefully there is a good trail out there that isn't covered in snow right now!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jun 17, 2009 9:54 am 
Welcome to the site Church. I might suggest Wallace Falls State Park. Great views of three falls and Wallace lake at the end. Then you can loop back around on an old service road.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostWed Jun 17, 2009 10:23 am 
Wallace Falls is great for beginners up.gif up.gif But if it's the same loop that i think BPJ is suggesting, be warned it's around 12 miles. I'm not sure that kind of mileage is for beginners. Biting off more than you can chew is a sure fire way for beginners to not like hiking. Here's my vote...Boulder River, there's plenty of scenery along the way. If your not feeling ambitious stop at Feature Show falls. Or you could go all the way to the "end" which is about 4 miles.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!
PostWed Jun 17, 2009 12:24 pm 
Lake Dorothy was 99% snow free last weekend, but you need a higher clearance vehicle to make it up the road. I had no problem getting there in my Jeep Cherokee. the trail is in good shape too. Only a coupler small blowdowns. Also the trail is about 3 miles in with about 800-900 feet of ele. gain.

Trail snail

Trail snail
PostThu Jun 18, 2009 7:40 am 
backpack trip
It sounded like you were looking for an overnight trip? Ingalls Creek is a good one, there are camps all along the way, not much gain and lots of flowers.

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostThu Jun 18, 2009 1:36 pm 
For an easy backpack, I recommend Boulder River. Nice scenery, lots of green and waterfalls and the river is alway right next to you. At the end is a nice campsite that is quiet since not many people go all the way to the end of the trail.