Forum Index > Gear Talk > New LED to use for backpacking!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 12:00 am 
Thanks to Mr. Driver (Dante) I now have a cool new LED for hiking. Click Here They now have a NEW LED specific light. The L1 LumaMax. Dante and I use the KL-1 conversion head on our already owned two cell SureFire lights. Either way you get way more light than these LED head lamps. You dont get quite as long a life, but long enough for night work. If you choose the two cell version, you get even more light/burn time! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dante

Dante
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 2:15 pm 
Luxeon Star LEDs
I'm betting Black Diamond has Luxeon Star headlamp(s) in the works. They are one of two manufacturers I know of that offer current or voltage regulated (i.e., constant brightness) headlamps . . .

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 2:33 pm 
I just recieved the newest Sure Fire cat.. They talk about a five watt Luxeon star that will give up to 80 lumens. "in 2003, including a five-watt luxeon LED that should, we hope, produce at least 80 and possible 100 lumens in a 9-volt powered light" That sould be a fantastic light. I wonder what the run time is with three lithium batteries in it? TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dante

Dante
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 4:07 pm 
From what I have read at www.candlepowerforums.com a small aluminum 5-watt LS flashlight would double as a handwarmer. 80 lumens is bright. Surefire's 60 and 120 incandescent lights will temporarily blind dark adapted eyes. What backpackers really need is to be able to run the 1-watt LS at a lower voltage to maximize battery life . . .

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 5:30 pm 
Oh sure, take the fun out of it! I want to use my flash light as a STOVE too! What if you linked the KL3 with a three cell Sure Fire light? Here are the stats for the KL2 and two cells: 17 lumens for 4 hours. 11 hours moderate light Here are the stats for the KL3 and three cells. 19.5 lumens for 7 hours. 8 hours of moderate light! TB

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 7:01 pm 
Hey BPJ, I didn't know you were a light fan too. Just in case some of those checking this thread don't know what a Luxeon Star is, here's an interesting link: http://elektrolumens.com/Luxeon.html I really like the sure fires and would like to get one but can't justify the expense since I bought a custom made job, the LG1 from a guy who builds em in Hawaii. The LG1 is a luxeon star and is super bright. Ya gotta love this stuff wink.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 10:25 pm 
Come on Doc, let's compare LED's on our Chantment trip! Dante and I hiked into Stuart via head lamp a few years ago. It was kool! TB

Dante

Dante
PostThu Mar 06, 2003 4:29 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I want to use my flash light as a STOVE too!
What we need is an ultralight fuel cell that can run on white gas, butane, alcohol, etc. Then we could run the headlamp, electric socks, stove, etc. on the same fuel wink.gif