Forum Index > Trail Talk > A NWHikers trip this summer!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 12:08 am 
Many of us at this social talked about a nwhikers trip this summer. I'd like to do either the Mineral Creek to Park Lakes to Glacier to Chickamin to Ice Berg trip, or the Slide lake to the SnowKing mountain basin area. Let's have other ideas and plan to make this trip a reality. TB agree.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 12:38 am 
I'm definitely interested in Iceberg via whatever, then maybe out via the Middle Fork? I'd also go for the Snowking thing too, but I think I'm leaning towards a preference for the Iceberg trip. Anyone interested in doing something like a Bridge Creek to Cascade Pass through hike? Or maybe Heather Meadows to Baker Lake via Swift Creek?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 12:56 am 
I'll do either/both! I am very flexible because I have T I M E! TB lol.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 12:58 am 
[rant on] A destination where a large group isn't going to leave a lasting impact would be best (I know I don't need to tell anyone here this). I can tell you from personal experience though that Iceberg is not that place and I'm sure other folks who have been there would say the same. 85% of the lake shore is large, sharp talus not suitable for camping or even lounging about. I think it was Brian Curtis that told me when he was there there were multiple fire pits and other intrusive signs of past visitors that made for a less than pristine experience. What Brian saw when he was there wasn't around when I went in 2001 and it would be great to keep it that way. If the group is larger than 4 or 5 and your're going to be staying for multiple days then the Snowking option sounds better to me. Just my opinion. [rant off]

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 1:08 am 
No need to rant on or off! Your point is well taken. I had planned on the night a Chickamin, then over to Ice Berg for lunch and a night at Overcoat! Mr. Curtis (Brian or Walt) can put me in my place if that is a bad option, as I know that they have been there too! TB

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 2:19 am 
The last time I went up Mineral Creek was in '98 or '99 and it was seriously overgrown at the time. Sounds like it's changed its ways since then, buuuut that being said: Sounds *excellent*, but I'd put in at least one vote for starting at Rocky Run (unofficial Lake Lillian trailhead) and going up and over Rampart Ridge, past Rampart and Lila Lakes, and dropping into Park Lakes from the south. I'm a "top of the world, ma!" kinda guy. Depending on timing, we could camp at Glacier or Chikamin, second day would be on to Iceberg and Overcoat, and out the third via the Middle Fork. The Rocky Run dropoff would also be quicker for the end of the run collection of the car -- it's a ways out to Cooper Pass, even if you're driving. Sign me up!

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 2:24 am 
Well, that's why I wanted suggestions! TB

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 2:45 am 
Both sounds good to me. The more I look at Snowking, the more it's tempting. For Iceberg, I was thinking of night 1 at either Glacier or Spectacle 'cause I wanna poke around Lemah Creek for a while too, and night two at Iceberg / Overcoat / wherever works (maybe just at Glacier for two nights, wouldn't be all that hard to go from Glacier to the Middle Fork in one day).

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 9:23 am 
Ive done the Snowking area. I'd love to do it again. Ive done spectacle and glacier, and have wanted to do ice berg and overcoat for some time. I agree. The issue would soon be the closed gate, and maybe more so having to leave a car there and get back around to mineral creek so start the hike. I couild leave my toyota land cruiser (5 pass) at the mmiddle fork site, but would need someone to take me around to the hikes start. TB

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 10:38 am 
I agree with Randy about taking a big group into the fragile Chikamin/Iceberg/Overcoat area. I'll even go a step farther and say I don't think it is appropriate to take a large group to any x-country destination, especially places above tree line. But it is all a matter of degree. If there are 10 or 12 people in the party trails start to form and campsites get very beat up. If there are only 4 or 5 people then that is a whole different story. I've been to Iceberg a couple of times. My recommendation would be that if you have a small party go for it and have fun. If you have a large party then environmental and safety issues would dictate a different destination.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 10:42 am 
Brian, Im not certain how large our party will end up being, but thanks for the advice, I agree with you. What is overcoat lake like. With respect to the affore mentioned lake shore (iceberg) conditions? How do you feel about the same party in the Snow King area? TB

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 11:16 am 
I strongly make the recommendation that you have a backup plan for the eastside--like east of Lake Chelan if the weather forecast turns to crap. There are plenty of lakes which have horses who frequent them and having a large group would not be incrementally detrimental to the area. Otherwise I like your west side choices. smile.gif I think I might be willing to go if I could climb something in the area while I was there. This also depends on having my wife let me go while I have a youngen to be born in the first part of April.......

Art is an adventure.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 11:29 am 
Stefan, you could climb one of the peaks around Ice berg. You could climb SnowKing mtn! TB

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 11:30 am 
Overcoat is rockbound. In that respect a large party won't hurt the shoreline, but camping is limited to heather benches above the lake and wouldn't be good for a large party. The Snowking area is probably better suited to a large group. Found Lake has heavily used camps and a good trail. Snowking Lake has a large flat area that would accommodate Winnebagos. Though it is up in the more fragile alpine zone, Cyclone gets a lot of traffic from climbers using it as a base camp for Snowking Mtn. There would be a lot of areas to spread out a large party to minimize their impacts. I think you could probably find some nice glacier smoothed rocks up there that would a good place for a large group to hang out. And the route in is technically easy and safe.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 11:58 am 
Thanks Brian. Ive been into the area before, and I agree with you. Ya gotta be amazed at that camp site at SnowKing lake! You could fit a boy scout troop of on hundred! Have you scrambled up the back side of SnowKing? Now that the road is washed out to Found, I figure the Slide lake route is the way to go. Most of our guys here have done extensive off trail work anyway! I'd like to go into Whale lake too! TB