Forum Index > Trail Talk > When is it hiking and when is it climbing?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 12:29 am 
Discuss. Be specific.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 12:33 am 
Well the funny thing is this; unless they (climbers) get helicoptered in there, they *are* hikers until the climb begins. Then they're hikers again until they get into their cars.... We hikers may not be climbers, but those climbers *are* hikers too. So let's have them pay their bloody fees like the rest of us aye!!! TB biggrin.gif winksmile.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 12:42 am 
Gettin' mighty philisophical there BPJ. dizzy.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 12:55 am 
Da, sorry boss. TB:dizzy: agree.gif lol.gif shakehead.gif biggrin.gif wink.gif winksmile.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 1:06 am 
To me, a climber is a someone who generally climbs peaks or rock climbs. A hiker might have more varied interests (i.e. lake destinations, fishing). As BPJ alluded, most climbers are hikers, but not all hikers are climbers.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 1:10 am 
There are those extreme guys doing big walls in the valley (Yosemite) that PAY someone to carry all their stuff to the wall. (Dont want to build up their leg muscles. To much weight) then they climb and off they go. They may not be hikers?!?!? Wierd! TB

Alfred E. Neuman

Alfred E. Neuman
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 7:25 am 
Um, duh. Climbing is focused on reaching the top of a peak. Hiking is more generic. What's the difference between a duck? One leg is both alike!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster

PostWed Mar 05, 2003 9:02 am 
Alfred E. Neuman wrote:
Um, duh. Climbing is focused on reaching the top of a peak. Hiking is more generic. What's the difference between a duck? One leg is both alike!
I think this is a great question and not nearly as “cut and dried” as Paul Newman’s ugly little brother insinuates. See sport climbing, gym rats, etc, etc. Just yesterday, a contractor at my house, seeing maps in our laundry room, asked me if I was a climber. I don’t know about you people, but it wasn’t the first time I’ve been asked that. My response - “I have climbed some, but am more of a hiker. I like to scramble, which is kind of between hiking an climbing”. Technically, some would say climbing begins when you tie-in to a rope. But it depends on the person. The two gents Tom and I saw on Aasgard Pass (up and down) last summer wearing helmets probably thought they were climbing. (I still have nightmares from seeing that embarassedlaugh.gif dizzy.gif ) And I’d bet that most non-hikers, if they saw serious scrambling up close, might call it climbing. What about slogging your way up a volcano? "Climbers" call following a "cow path" up moderate glacier, climbing. But is it closer to hiking or climbing? None of it matters, but I think the line between hiking and climbing crosses more often that "climbers" think.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 9:21 am 
What about free climbing a route with not rope? You're still climbing, but there is no pro, and you are free solo. I suppose there are climbers that never hike. Like you mentioned gym rats and the like. Otherwise to climb something you must hike to get there! TB

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 9:36 am 
Climbers are special, they neither hike nor have to pay fees!! wink.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Larry

Larry
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 9:57 am 
Well, of course, the definition has a certain 'gray area', which is that overlap discussed above - where does hiking end and climbing begin? My own meager brain has always considered 'climbing' as starting when you have to start using your hands for assistance in traveling up a mountain (or even up a ridge or a short steep section on a bushwhack). Seems like you could call it 'climbing' when the use of hands will keep you from falling and breaking something. So, it looks like hikers certainly have times when it could be considered 'climbing'. Heck, even a guy trying to get up a ladder to clean the gutters is 'climbing'. It's all such a matter of 'degrees' isn't it! tongue.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 10:01 am 
I understand your logic, but there is scrambling that requires hands at times too. Hmm, I think Miss. Allison has created at topic that cannot be brought to a conclusion! Good for her! winksmile.gif TB

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 10:05 am 
Climbing is when you use a rope, or an ice axe. Climbing is when you are reaching the apex of something. Climbing is class 3 or above. All else is hiking.

Art is an adventure.
Mike E.

Mike E.
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 10:07 am 
What do you call them ?
This conversation has been a real eye opener. I had no idea that anyone would pay someone else to carry their stuff to the base of a climb. Then I remembered a program on the Discover channel a while back, where a group of modern dancers had paid some big wall climbers to take them halfway up one of the big walls in Yosemite. Once there, they hung from about a hundred feet of rope and spent a couple of hours on a new dance form, "Vertical Ballet". The impression that I got was that they thought that they were VERY clever and at the cutting edge of their art. Any of you folks interested in trying this ? I wonder what they're calling it ?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 10:10 am 
What was the name of that British Columbia guy (Peter something) that used to climb the big walls (and everything else too) free! I remember in the 80's seeing him 1000+ feet up using telephoto climbing away. He used to hang at Squaw Rocks alot. TB