Forum Index > Trail Talk > When is it hiking and when is it climbing?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

PostWed Mar 05, 2003 3:13 pm 
I think it is worth discussing. The media definately gets confused and so do most non-hiker / climbers. I'm glad we have a consensus on the difference between hiking and climbing. biggrin.gif Maybe is it like one of the CCers said. It's like the difference cclimbers and nwhikers. I thought the Bar and Grill was "Spray".

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Larry

Larry
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 3:15 pm 
Karen wrote:
Gods Nightgown -- should not have an apostrophe in it, for gawd's sake!! Karen PS Tom, I like your "spray area" concept. I never thought of it that way. Karen
Karen, I hope you weren't referencing Tom's post about the Spray Area being a place to assert my manhood? And, one more thing...do I need to be concerned about my small hands? embarassedlaugh.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 3:16 pm 
Small HANDS! AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Say it isnt so Lare! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Larry

Larry
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 3:22 pm 
Joe, Joe, Joe! Sad but true...I used to wear gloves when showering after the Phys Ed classes. But now that I'm older and more self-assured, I'm not quite so self-conscious about it. I've learned that dexterity is much superior to size. Thank you for your support, Joe. You have helped to make me nearly sane again. dizzy.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 3:49 pm 
Hey we fellow menbers of the "Small hands society" MUST sitck together! You know, when climbing, heck, them cracks are smaller than our hands anyway! winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Karen

Karen
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 4:21 pm 
CAREFUL now .....
Better to have small hands than a BIG ego .... I wonder why they call "Spray Park" Spray Park? One of our favorite family sayings was (and still is) "Piss on it." Easier for you guys!! Karen PS I should have gone to that social (it sounds like you are having WAY too much fun .....). Have one in the north end sometime, wouldja??

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Bungee Boy

Bungee Boy
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 8:30 pm 
Well, I really think it depends on the experiene of the individual. The physical, the mental, and the technical. As one becomes more experienced and tuned into the objective then the definition becomes obvious. There have been times where I've climbed to the top of Mt. Baker and times where I've hiked to the top of Baker. There have been times when I've climbed to the top of Stuart and times when I've hiked to the top of Stuart. There have been times where I've climbed to the top of Granite and hike to the top. It all depends on the connection to the environment and the choice du jour. We have a choice of how we want to be, and the depth of our connection. For me it all depends on the connection to what's below my feet.

Ever Upwards
polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 10:15 pm 
I guess I need to log in for this. Since when can a topic here outgenerate responses from ccc.c? lol.gif confused.gif bawl.gif 4 pages in less than 24 hours and climbing. My opinion: climbing: involves potential loss of life or limb eek.gif scrambling: above treeline off-trail hiking cool.gif bushwacking: below treeline off-trail hiking mad.gif hiking: everything else outside of the mall up.gif up.gif I mostly hike and rarely scramble or bushwack. If you are on White Chuck Mountain, you are chucking. If you are ascending it, you are upchucking hurl.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 10:18 pm 
Well, it seems to me that klimb-ing is klimb-ing, and hike-ing is hike-ing! Da, hows dat boss? TB winksmile.gif agree.gif dizzy.gif biggrin.gif

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Mar 06, 2003 1:07 am 
polarbear wrote:
I mostly hike and rarely scramble or bushwack.
Wimp. moon.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Mar 06, 2003 1:12 am 
Hey, watch it Mr.! TB winksmile.gif

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostThu Mar 06, 2003 1:31 am 
Difficult to pin down, but I'd lean towards "climbing" being anytime, while using your hands to ascend, a rope would be seriously considered as an added safety factor -- not necessarily used though. So, in terms of numbers, class 4 and higher and some exposed class 3, but this is where things tend to go gray. Hiking is anything not requiring the use of hands regardless of elevation, trail or no trail, steepness, or terrain type. Note that I consider use of an ice axe as an anchor or self belay device as use of hands, so steep snow can be included in my definition of "climbing". "Scrambling" is a nice buzz word that can be used to bridge the gap between climbing and hiking. In other words, anything requiring hands, but where a rope is not considered necessary or even useful.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Mar 06, 2003 2:00 am 
Details, details, dont botehr me with the details! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif So, off to the Pasific Coast we go Clark! TB

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Mar 06, 2003 6:50 pm 
Let's see. Glacier Hiking= Ice axe, roped up (for safety), helmet (for safety), potential loss of life, above tree line and off trail. Not really sure if anyone has hiked up Mt Everest. But maybe. confused.gif I think it's a pretty grey/gray area but would lean towrds having to use hands and feet or anything over 2500' gain per mile. confused.gif When does a car start to climb a hill? confused.gif NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostFri Mar 07, 2003 11:45 am 
To Backpacker Joe
Backpacker Joe, I saw but did not have the pleasure of meeting you at the last social at Starbucks. I also read the responses from Cascade Climbers, and was fully entertained by their appropriate responses. For your consideration, their response was to the question, not to NW Hikers. I mean, I don’t think either one of us would log on to a track and field website and ask the members to start debating the differences between walking, jogging, and running.