Forum Index > Trip Reports > Redwood Creek Trail 09/17/06 - 09/18/06
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Sep 19, 2006 2:42 pm 
From Hwy 101 south, turn left (east) onto Bald Hill Road. Follow 1/2 mile and turn right, follow road another 3/10 mile to parking lot and trailhead. Eight vehicles in parking lot at noon Sunday. The first 1.5 miles of trail follows an abandoned roadbed on the east side of the creek, mostly through alder flat with a few good-sized specimens of redwood and a nice little grove of Sitka Spruce. At 1.5 miles, the trail crosses the creek over a bridge maintained by the Park Service during summer months. The well-maintained trail then winds up and down along the west bank of Redwood Creek at the toe of the slope, mostly through alder flat, for the next 3.5 miles. ( * The trail continues to the "Tall Trees Trail" at 8.5 miles, but I didn't venture that far up this time. * ) There are fantastic specimens of redwood along the way, some well over 10-12 feet in diameter at the base. There are mile markers at 3, 4, and 5 miles. Assuming the people who came in all those cars at the trailhead must be upstream, figured it would be a good idea to find a spot while I could, and set up tent just past 5 miles. Weather clear, sunny, mid-60's. A few high cirrus clouds blowing in off coast. The wind kicks up occasionally ( normal here ) so I had to batten down the tent with rocks. Saw two day-hikers on the way in ( just below bridge ), who said they'd only gone up to bridge for the day. Saw two trail-runners jogging up trail while setting up tent. At about 5, and then just at dusk, saw two different parties walking out. Figure it must be awfully crowded upstream from me. Other than that, only a dipper and a busy kingfisher who chattered until well after sunset at 7:30, reminding me that this was his stretch of creek. Water in creek real low, water moving very slowly. Had dinner and fell asleep looking at maps. Monday woke up about 7:30 to cool, cloudy skies and everything damp. Made tea and oatmeal and waited for sun to come up over trees across creek. Finally started to warm up about 11. All quiet except for a pair of noisy kingfishers. Packed out and got to bridge crossing about 2:30. Still overcast with little patches of blue trying to break through clouds. About 500 yards from parking lot, heard elk bugling out on gravel bar. Saw a couple brown heads through the alders, and thought I'd try getting a shot of them. Set pack down, dug out camera, and crept through blackberry and willow down to gravel bar. A small herd ( 25-30? ) was laying out on the sand, sunbathing and enjoying the breeze. The appeared indifferent to me clicking away at them. After about 10 minutes the bull wandered over to make sure I wasn't interfering with his harem, making a point to display his 4-foot tall rack festooned with lupine he'd been tearing up. He held still long enough in various poses for me to get a few shots. Only two vehicles at trailhead when I came out. So much for the "crowd" upstream that kept me off the upper end of the trail. Apparently a LOT of people walk down the trail a few hundred yards, and then cut out to the gravel bar along the creek via the innumerable social trails the first 1.5 miles. ( Second time this has happened to me there. ) Never did find that place with the clam chowder in Crescent City. Maybe next time. Don't eat at the "Tea Garden" Chinese Place. Simply dreadful. The "Good Harvest Cafe" had a nice breakfast, but they're only open until 2. photos here

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message