Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > bush administration roadless rule thrown out
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Oct 04, 2006 4:49 pm 
hyak.net wrote:
I find it interesting that my comments about clinton was edited when there are numerous anti bush coments here that go w/o edit.. I didn't even say anything that bad, but what I said was fact and was related directly to the regulation signed as per the topic of this thread..... Shows the leanings of the moderator.
Wehhll....at the risk of having my head chopped off and used as a bowling ball at the next GTG, I say that this forum is a little bit right of center. In my experience, most hiking forums a little bit left of center, and this one is a little bit the other way. Not trying to create a firestorm, just making an observation.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ulrich

Ulrich
PostWed Oct 04, 2006 5:16 pm 
Marylou, well put.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Oct 04, 2006 5:21 pm 
I'm not sure what numerous anti-bush comments you are referring to. I see only one, which could also be interpreted within the context of environmental policy, hence why we let it stand (with reservations). I'm not sure what was edited out of your post but the 5+ moderators have better things to do here than listen to people complain about fairness. If your post was edited, there was probably a good reason for it.

hyak.net

hyak.net
PostWed Oct 04, 2006 6:06 pm 
Its not a huge deal.......but my comment was on topic and it was not really even negative, but if your going to edit me then edit the other that was not even on topic at all. Yea, I agree that I only saw one after I went back through (after my post)... ... Anyway, that's it for me on this topic. . BTW, if this forum is full of right wingers they sure do hide well.

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostWed Oct 04, 2006 6:49 pm 
Funny thing about right wingers (and left wingers too.) Some people have a tough time spotting them. That's because people don't often occur in nature as left or right. Generally folks are a messy, complex mixture of each. However, it's possible to become very good at spotting liberals and conservatives. Isolating people into the two camps, simply requires the intellectually "convenient" (lazy) practice of viewing the world through a liberal vs. conservative filter. Once those glasses go on, it gets hard to see anything else but the left and right. And the world gets comfortably predictable and organized. bored.gif If you're having a hard time spotting any right wingers, you may be working too hard. Try lowering the threshhold at which you label people. clown.gif

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Damian

Damian
PostWed Oct 04, 2006 7:47 pm 
Most of the hardened right and left wingers around here quit gnawing at each other a long time ago and now coexist in peace. Sort of like a pack of old castrated dogs. There is actual constructive dialog on non-political matters between them. And an early theory of mine has played out: Those on opposite sides of the political spectrum have more in common with each other than they care to admit.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Oct 04, 2006 8:46 pm 
Personally, I don't have any problem with discerning different points of view. They seem to be fairly easy to spot, because they are, well, different. This comes from a person (me) who tends not to see things so much in black and white, there's a lot of nuance to so many of the discussions we have here and elsewhere. My comment about the board leaning slightly to the right was made as an opinion, and to share that opinion with others. [/thread drift]

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Oct 04, 2006 8:52 pm 
Art Not wrote:
Most of the hardened right and left wingers around here quit gnawing at each other a long time ago and now coexist in peace. Sort of like a pack of old castrated dogs. There is actual constructive dialog on non-political matters between them. And an early theory of mine has played out: Those on opposite sides of the political spectrum have more in common with each other than they care to admit.
other than my honorable opponents being running dog lackies, you're kinda right

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
hyak.net

hyak.net
PostWed Oct 04, 2006 9:01 pm 
Putz-in-Boots wrote:
In MHO the post that was edited started off on topic (those comments remained in the post) and then went south (and were rightly removed). It's OK to make comments about policy, not at all OK to make comments on the person or the moral or immoral (correctness or wrongness) of their actions. I think the later half of the post crossed the line and was glad the comments were removed. MOO.
I said nothing of the sort. All I said was signing of the law was payback to his supporters (which is something most elected officials of both sides do).. Where does that draw moral or immoral content. The only issue I had was that my remark (which was nothing IMO) was edited out by the moderator, but the comment a few messages up saying the" bush administration is pushing out loads of garbage every week" is left on the thread, and it has NOTHING to do with the topic, and everything to do with slander of the administration. If your going to moderate, then do it both ways....that's all. Sorry for the direction of this thread, but I don't like to be singled out and labeled by the moderator.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Oct 04, 2006 9:08 pm 
Hyak has a point. the post he noted remains while he was sanctioned.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Oct 04, 2006 9:08 pm 
Call me an optimist, but I see very few people on this forum as representing either the far left or far right. There are a few people who've made their stances fairly clear, but for the most part because of the dearth of political discussion (thank God) I see pretty much the bulk of us as intelligent, independent, and relatively moderate. FWIW - I tend to subscribe to jimmymac's "messy, complex mixture" theory.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostWed Oct 04, 2006 9:14 pm 
I can't seem to find the Bush admin. comment hyak is complaining about.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Oct 04, 2006 9:19 pm 
Took me a second, but I found it. scm007's comment on page one. Back on topic, how soon will the impact of this ruling be felt? Is it already having an impact on (halting) the building of new roads in the backcountry?

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Oct 04, 2006 10:03 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Hyak has a point. the post he noted remains while he was sanctioned.
scm007 was given the benefit of the doubt he was referring to "some other" (i.e. outdoor related) policy, but let's say we had moderated that comment. The next thing you know someone would be complaining Jeepasaurusrex's comment wasn't moderated. This kind of nonsense is endless. I can point out several examples of the "other side" getting their hand slapped with similar accusations of moderator bias. dizzy.gif This stuff gets really old. People just need to relax and not take it personally when a moderator steps in.

scm007

scm007
PostWed Oct 04, 2006 10:15 pm 
I don't really think what I said needed to be moderated... it's pretty well known that the Bush administration tries to pass a lot of environmentally damaging policies (garbage IMO). The same way the Clinton adminstration tried passing a lot of bleeding heart garbage back in the day. Everybody pushes their own garbage...