Forum Index > Gear Talk > Down vs. fleece?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Sep 20, 2006 10:41 pm 
I prefer a light synthetic fill jacket like the Montbell Thermawrap. It's lighter than fleece, and who the hell cares if it gets wet. Best of both worlds. Fleece is heavy, it's great for town and car camping, but for the real stuff, a puffy is the way to go.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostWed Sep 20, 2006 11:14 pm 
So what is the approx weight difference? Our fleece jackets weigh about 14.7 oz. (My WM Flight down is 9 oz, but again for winter backpacking I would carry both.)

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostWed Sep 20, 2006 11:24 pm 
My XL Mont-Bell Thermawrap Jacket is 10.2 oz. In the winter I carry an XL TNF Nuptse jacket 27.2 oz. That WM Flight jacket sounds sweet!

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostWed Sep 20, 2006 11:33 pm 
Thanks HB, your Montbell sounds pretty sweet too at 10 oz. I believe that has been suggested to me before. It's just that, geez - my Helly Hansen fleece is so cozy lol.gif Hard to give it up. Not to mention it was a great buy, also Doug's Black Diamond fleece jacket. But for two, that is 8 oz heavier... half a pound!

Gil

Gil
PostThu Sep 21, 2006 12:27 am 
I think where fleece really comes in second is when it gets wet. I have a cheapo Red Ledge synthetic puffy, and even this past weekend, when it was really wet out, it didn't soak up a ton of water like fleece can. I'd go for a puffy.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Sep 21, 2006 8:57 am 
I have a synthetic puffy. 2nd hand purchase at 2nd Ascent. A whole lot warmer than the fleece, and no big deal if it gets wet. It stays up top for easy access to throw on for breaks.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Dante

Dante
PostThu Sep 21, 2006 9:19 am 
Windshirts (another element of the Pro Mountain Sports system) are great for breaks. If you are sweaty, throwing on a windshirt will prevent the sweat from "flashing off" in the breeze and chilling you. Two of my most used bieces of outdoor clothing are my Montane Featherlite windshirt and my Wild Things Primaloft sweater. Good stuff.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Sep 21, 2006 9:42 am 
Nice to hear about the windshirt Dante. I've been eyeballing them all year, but I was looking at a $90 tag, and didn't know if it was worth the investment.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Dante

Dante
PostThu Sep 21, 2006 10:39 am 
It doesn't have to be a fancy, expensive, name brand windshirt. The plain-jane zippered nylon ones most of us had as kids will do the same thing - they're just a little heavier. Windshirts are pretty old-school - my dad had one when he was in Trailblazers in the '70s. BTW, I froogled "ultralight" and "windshirt", sorted by price from low to high and found options starting at $40.