Forum Index > Gear Talk > your favorite rain gear?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dustin07

Dustin07
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 9:44 am 
how over the top do you go for rainy hikes? I'm trying to prepare myself and I'd like to see what you wear. Specifically, I'm preparing for the potential rain this weekend...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 9:48 am 
I own a very light rain jacket and prefer to wear shorts that dry fast...I want to get a pair of lightweight pants I can use for winter and summer wet weather.

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Dustin07

Dustin07
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 10:02 am 
shorts aren't a bad idea if the weather is still decently warm (which I think it will be OK). I have a favorite pair of swim trunks (lots of pockets for food and wallet) that I took to Lk Eleanor last weekend. worked well. Got the spontaneous swim in and still dried off before the hike back to camp.

Dante

Dante
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 10:12 am 
Marmot Precip's probably my favorite, too. Great balance of price, light weight, durability and waterproof/breathableness. I don't use raingear enough to justify anything more expensive.

Dustin07

Dustin07
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 10:14 am 
Marmot just seems like an awesome company. My wife hates that I love marmot so much (because it's "name brand"... LOL)... but I can't help it. I only hear good reviews on Marmot and I like every product I've seen. I'm hoping to get a new Marmot jacket for snowboarding this winter.

Dustin07

Dustin07
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 10:36 am 
Quote:
i couldn't care less about "name brands"
I agree! Most of my stuff starts out as probably Homemade or Ozark Trails (LOL) but I usually find that as I upgrade I fall in love with MSR, Marmot, etc. It's not the branding, it's the quality.

Rob Jordan

Rob Jordan
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 10:36 am 
I have a Marmot Precip that I've used for 2 or 3 years. I love that it's really lightweight, but it's pretty much given up the ghost. It seems to be quite a bit less waterproof than it was, and (and this is the biggest problem) the lining is coming off around the shoulders and the hood. Anyway, I got an REI Taku this past week when they were 25% off. It seems really well made, though it's a bit heavier than the Precip. If it rains this weekend we'll see how it does. I should say that I wore that Precip jacket pretty much every day October to April--not just while hiking. Maybe that explains some of the wear issues.

Dante

Dante
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 10:40 am 
Rob Jordan wrote:
I have a Marmot Precip that I've used for 2 or 3 years. I love that it's really lightweight, but it's pretty much given up the ghost. It seems to be quite a bit less waterproof than it was, and (and this is the biggest problem) the lining is coming off around the shoulders and the hood.
Renewing the DWR with one of the many products out there will help. My jacket is starting to lose the membrane at the nape of the neck. I think the pack straps stretch it there and that's the area it's most often hung from. I'll probably look for another deal on precip when my jacket gives up the ghost.

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 10:45 am 
My wife and I used Marmot Precip jackets for a couple of years. They both started to delaminate around the neck and shoulders after a couple of years. I replaced mine with Mont-Bell Versalite jacket, similar to the Precip but a little lighter and better designed. Marmot replaced my wife's Precip with a new Precip Plus jacket. anyhoooo....back on topic, any of those urethane coated nylon rainshells work well for this time of year because they are lwt and packable. Just make sure that the jacket you buy has sufficient vents or you're going to get wet anyways. No need for any real leg protection at this time of the year because the rains are usually not sustained enough to warrent it and the temps are usually milder. Nylon shorts and hiking pants dry off really quickly after a storm passes.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
JimK

JimK
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 10:58 am 
Yes you should have rain gear. However, for hiking uphill on trail without really strong winds, nothing beats an umbrella. It's the only way I do not stew in my own juices, so to speak. I have stayed dry with an umbrella but never with rain gear. Not Gore-Tex or any other membrane keeps up with my sweat.

scm007

scm007
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 11:01 am 
I agree, umbrellas are the best for hiking. For climbing or hiking through brush it's a totally different matter.

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 11:21 am 
I've been happy with my gortex shell. I've got an old one I've had for ~20 years? (used to be my dad's... I can wear my daypack under it if I want) that has had the outer waterproofing totally worn off, but the gortex layer still keeps me dry. I haven't had it keep me sweaty, assuming I plan for wearing it with the layers underneath, of course. Maybe it being so big helps that. wink.gif

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 11:23 am 
Purchased an Arc’Teryx Alpha SL Jacket (PacLite), breaths extraordinarily well, great hood, full coverage hard shell, huge pit zips, and 14 ounces for a large. Got it on sale earlier this year at REI and used my dividend dollars to make the purchase a little easier to swallow.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 11:26 am 
When I want to travel light and don't expect rain, but know I should carry raingear I will use my NF HYvent jacket and pants, otherwise Arcteryx Theta SL and Hyvent pants, higher up or winter Theta SL or LT and I think there beta AR bib pants. If they keep you dry inside in The Cohutta Wilderness in Georgia in the summertime going uphill in a thunderstorm with heavy rain, you gotta believe. Oh, also I had a dislocated hip, massive head wound, and was carrying my 100lb. pet rock named, "Boulder". hmmm.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Seracer

Seracer
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 11:43 am 
Umbrella or Frogg Toggs.