Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > WA Cougar hunting question
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
scm007

scm007
PostFri Sep 22, 2006 12:26 pm 
OK, why does WA allow cougar hunting? I've been told many times that deer hunting is a necessity otherwise they will overgraze because there aren't many natural predators left, yet WA issues cougar hunting licenses. Doesn't make sense to me. EDIT: Took out the pictures after I settled down a little. Someone was talking to me about how fun it would be to shoot a lion.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostFri Sep 22, 2006 3:09 pm 
Doesn't make any sense to me either. Simple biology.....populations of any animal group is determined by food availability. If the deer over graze then there will be a die off.....fewer deer means more plant growth....means more deer popultaion...means more grazing.....the cycle continues. But what really bothers me is this notion of "wildlife management". How can humans (our ever poplur govenrment entities) have the audacity to try to control and "harvest" wildlife through "controled" hunts, when they can't even control themselves?!?! Way to many humans encroaching into wildlife habitat!

This thing called work is interfering with my play
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Sep 22, 2006 3:17 pm 
I think you're underestimating the mtn lion population in this state!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
pink flamingo thief
Stops for any cave

pink flamingo thief
Stops for any cave
PostFri Sep 22, 2006 5:16 pm 
I think that they do not shoot a lot of cougars since Wa. banned hunting with dogs. Only the hardcore hunters, or lucky one would even get a chance to shoot at one. I'm sure most hunters buy them on the chance they would get a shot while hunting deer or bear.

usfs land of the fee home of the paved
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Sep 22, 2006 5:35 pm 
the dog dealo
My two cents on cougars...if'n ya gotta hunt 'em, do it straight up and stalk and find it yourself. If they are hard to find, well, that goes with the territory.... they're supposed to be hard to find, they're predators who survive in spite of encroachment, because they are hard to find. Shooting a treed cougar isn't exactly sporting, IMO. (If you can't tell, not a big fan of using dogs. )

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Sep 22, 2006 5:46 pm 
ditto.gif ditto.gif I do not think cougars are anywhere endangered but do not think hunting them with dogs is a good idea. Bear baiting was also banned in the same initiative and it seems even worse. I think allowing hunting forces the cougars to have a healthy fear of humans, bear baiting on the other hands habituates bears to garbage mad.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Sep 22, 2006 5:54 pm 
I agree with both of you, if only because none of us hunt either. Believe you me, hunters of those animals were devastated by that legislation. Oh well. It isn't as if the hunting of them was banned!!!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostFri Sep 22, 2006 6:08 pm 
Quote:
I think allowing hunting forces the cougars to have a healthy fear of humans, bear baiting on the other hands habituates bears to garbage
Good point! up.gif

don't believe everything you think
TeeJay
Sofa King

TeeJay
Sofa King
PostFri Sep 22, 2006 6:10 pm 
I know a guy in Montana who hunts cougars with dogs. He shot ONE cougar after his dogs treed it several years ago. He still hunts with his dogs every year, but it ends when the dogs have treed the cougar. The dogs get the thrill of the chase and did their job and they go home. He takes a picture of each cougar they tree and puts them on the wall next to his stuffed one. The dogs do make it "easier" (or actually give you the chance to see one)...but its still work following your dogs off trail for miles as they chase the lion. Seeing working dogs do what they were bred to do is quite a sight.

It is not in the nature of politics that the best men should be elected. The best men do not want to govern their fellowmen. -- George MacDonald
scm007

scm007
PostFri Sep 22, 2006 6:39 pm 
RayD wrote:
Quote:
I think allowing hunting forces the cougars to have a healthy fear of humans, bear baiting on the other hands habituates bears to garbage
Good point! up.gif
Except that they are normally solitary animals, so the only cougar that learns to be fearful of humans is the dead one. Also, I wasn't stating that cougar populations were low -- I don't have that information. What I was saying is that hunters and the land management officials (not sure what bureaucratic organization it is) often use the argument "Deer need to be hunted otherwise they will overgraze due to the lack of natural predators." How can that be true if they allow hunting of cougars? Either the deer hunting argument is false or they are just assholes for allowing cougar hunting... you choose.

RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostFri Sep 22, 2006 6:44 pm 
Quote:
Except that they are normally solitary animals, so the only cougar that learns to be fearful of humans is the dead one.
Cougar hunters never miss?

don't believe everything you think
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Sep 22, 2006 7:12 pm 
Quote:
Except that they are normally solitary animals, so the only cougar that learns to be fearful of humans is the dead one.
Not really, cougars teach their kittens just like cats do. If the liking to be around humans meme is benificial to survial it will become the norm, if not it will become extinct. In most of the 20th century cougars were hunted for a bounty. As a result the only ones that survived were those who split as soon as they smelled humans nd stayed away from their houses. As far as I am concerned I would not like to have these big cats hanging around school bus stops and surviving on dog food and outdoor pets. We have lost animals to wildlife (do not know if it was coyotes or cougars) and do not like it.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Damian

Damian
PostFri Sep 22, 2006 8:44 pm 
I like the idea of treeing the cat and then snapping a picture. That approach turns the whole concept back into a real sport for man and dogs IMO. I never have understood why anyone would wanna shoot a poor ol bear out there trying to make a living eating grubs and berries. Especially by baiting it with a rotting pigs head. Why would someone want to shoot a cougar for that matter, let alone any of those fine large beasts in the photos. Why the heck would someone shoot a giraffe? These "why" questions are rhetorical, as you can't explain why you like something. I respect those who hunt legally, even if its not something I understand or would take up myself.

scm007

scm007
PostFri Sep 22, 2006 8:58 pm 
I respect their right to hunt, but I do not respect them in the least. I'm talking about those who hunt predators and sensitive animals. It's one thing to kill a deer and eat it, but it's quite another to kill an elephant, take it's tusks, and leave it to rot, regardless of how many elephants there are. But where there is a will, there is a way... illustrated by the dead lions, leopards, rhinos, elephants, giraffes, jaguars, etc. that I posted. If you kill an animal for sport you damn well better eat it. I wouldn't go fishing, club the fish, and then chuck them back in the river. And don't bring up this sustainable use garbage... grizzly bears, lions, mountain lions etc. aren't a natural resource to be farmed because we don't eat them. Granted, you or I might understand the 'why' of blowing Simba's brains out, but we don't have to. If an animal isn't thriving in the wild, than we shouldn't hunt them, period. I don't care if gunning down a lion is fun to a select few, it endangers the well being of the species, which we all enjoy and should be banned. So I bring my post back to the cougars. If, according to the experts, there aren't enough of them in the wild to cut down on the deer population, why do we allow hunting of them? I said HUNTING, not killing. If a cougar is attacking me or any other person, I'll blow his head off, but there are permits issued to go hunt cougars in the WILD, that is just plain retarded.

Damian

Damian
PostFri Sep 22, 2006 9:04 pm 
scm007 wrote:
it's quite another to kill an elephant, take it's tusks, and leave it to rot, regardless of how many elephants there are.
Is this legal? If so, I would amend my statement about respecting those that hunt legally.