Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Cerro Nevada Olympus
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSun Sep 24, 2006 7:52 pm 
http://www.historylink.org/essays/output.cfm?file_id=5677

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Phil

Phil
PostSun Sep 24, 2006 8:19 pm 
Cool! I've bookmarked the site.

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostWed Sep 27, 2006 11:36 pm 
I think some of the old names, like Mt. Tahoma (pronounced Taa-hoooma) for Mt. Rainier, sound good. IMO, Cerro Nevada de Santa Rosalia sounds cool, but it doesn't quite have the ring of Mt. Olympus.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Sep 28, 2006 10:22 pm 
Blue Dome wrote:
I think some of the old names, like Mt. Tahoma (pronounced Taa-hoooma) for Mt. Rainier, sound good. IMO, Cerro Nevada de Santa Rosalia sounds cool, but it doesn't quite have the ring of Mt. Olympus.
Mt. Nevada sounds cool. It's a Western type of name, compared to an old Greek name. Mt. Tahoma sounds good also to me. Rainier was a Admiral in the British Navy I believe. The Brit's named it Rainier before they burned our White House in the War of 1812. Mt. Nevada has a certain ring to it.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Sep 28, 2006 10:51 pm 
Nevada just means snowy in Spanish. rolleyes.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Sep 28, 2006 11:06 pm 
But at least it (snowy) describes something other than a Greek myth. And Nevada is the original historic name. And it has a Western feel. Viva Cerro Nevada. The names probably are what they are and will never change. It's just interesting history. smile.gif

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostFri Sep 29, 2006 12:06 am 
Snowbrushy wrote:
Mt. Nevada has a certain ring to it.
I could go with replacing Mt. Olympus with Mt. Nevada. The latter seems more fitting. In fact, let's dump all of these Euro-named land features around here and get back to more regional names like Nevada and Tahoma. up.gif

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Sep 29, 2006 6:55 pm 
Maybe the Spanish crew & Skipper deserve the credit for the name Cerro Nevada. Instead of only the name Mt. Olympus .. These guys were on a voyage of discovery which killed some of them. It's really something to see a landfall or a Cape from 15 miles out on the ocean. They saw a Snowy Peak, and after many weeks in the ocean they probably all said a collective - WOW! What a sight to see. The Skipper named it, Mt. Cerro Nevada. (Snowy Peak). The Spanish named the Islands - San Juan, Sucia, Matia, Fidalgo, and Lopez. Romantic language & names. But they didn't get credit for naming the distinctive 'snowy peak' that they first saw from a sailing vessel out on the lonely ocean. Mt. Cerro Nevada Olympus is a name with some history and some blood behind it. VIVA MT. CERRO NEVADA OLYMPUS.

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostFri Sep 29, 2006 9:09 pm 
If we change the name of Mt. Olympus to Mt. Cerro Nevada, you have to change your NWHikers name to Nevadabrushy.